So they say you can hardly give away tickets to our games?

GoForGold

Reaction score
Just perusing the ticket supply on StubHub for the game at Northwestern. There are literally hundreds of tickets for sale at $6. That's cheaper than a high school game. The most expensive ticket I can find is just $76. And I'm sure there are plenty of ticket giveaways and donations there too, so that line doesn't fly with me either.

https://www.stubhub.com/northwestern-wildcats-football-tickets-northwestern-wildcats-football-evanston-ryan-field-11-23-2019/event/103950530/?sort=price+asc&sid=81479

It's been that way for decades there.

I have been going to Gopher games at NU for fifty years. I have never seen the place not have thousands of empty seats. More than 10,000 most years.

Northwestern’s entire undergrad enrollment would comfortably fit inside Mariucci Arena with plenty of seats left over. It’s a student body typically not drawn from athletes and sports fans and is one that draws significantly from out of Chicagoland and Illinois with many going home or elsewhere after graduation. The school doesn’t have the students and enrollment to fill the seats and for the armchair fan there are plenty of drivable alternatives with an atmosphere that’s as good or better. My visit to see the Gophers play at Northwestern was far enough back that Glen Mason was coach, so it’s possible things are better now, but the lack of a commercial area with bars due to Evanston having been a dry town for so long was pretty striking and not at all fun. Unless you’re there for the visitors or the Wildcats are having a big season, it’s not a place any college football fans needs on a must see list.

I bought 5 50 yard line tickets at NU about 10 years ago on Stubhub for a total of $30 and that included fees.

I’m looking forward to making that trip. I expect you can just buy the cheapest ticket and go sit wherever you want with a crowd of gopher fans.

I mean Northwestern ... can't blame them this year.

They haven't scored more than 3 points a game in the last three games...

Northwestern’s entire undergrad enrollment would comfortably fit inside Mariucci Arena with plenty of seats left over. It’s a student body typically not drawn from athletes and sports fans and is one that draws significantly from out of Chicagoland and Illinois with many going home or elsewhere after graduation. The school doesn’t have the students and enrollment to fill the seats and for the armchair fan there are plenty of drivable alternatives with an atmosphere that’s as good or better. My visit to see the Gophers play at Northwestern was far enough back that Glen Mason was coach, so it’s possible things are better now, but the lack of a commercial area with bars due to Evanston having been a dry town for so long was pretty striking and not at all fun. Unless you’re there for the visitors or the Wildcats are having a big season, it’s not a place any college football fans needs on a must see list.

Also, with that school in South Bend being a short drive away doesn't help.

I went to the NW game 2 years ago in Evanston and paid $6/ticket.

The following weekend, I went to a 7th grade boys basketball tournament and paid $8 to get in.

The following weekend, I went to a 7th grade boys basketball tournament and paid $8 to get in.

$8 holy ****... (obviously I'm not attending many of those types of games to be suprised by that)

Unfortunately I've got plans at home that weekend, so I won't be able to make the trip this year, but I'm gonna plan to go to the game in 2021 which has the benefit of being in October instead of late November.

$8 holy ****... (obviously I'm not attending many of those types of games to be suprised by that)

Wait til you have to pay to get into your kid's musical theater production.

The gate fees for travel basketball are one of the biggest financial scams perpetrated on the American middle class. Ok, that might be a bit much but I hate them. $8 for ONE DAY and they nearly always string your games out over TWO DAYS. It's gotten to the point where me and my wife rarely attend their basketball games together anymore. Their siblings almost never do.

Top Bottom