Putting all the horses before the cart but What If?

Well there's no guarantee of that... but it should work that, for any of the P5s ... but there are 5....

It's highly unlikely that a team from each Power Five conference goes undefeated all in one year. Toss in an undefeated Notre Dame (even though I think it's much easier to leave them out with no championship game to play.....especially with their schedule this year) and you've got quite a mess.

I think an eight team playoff is the best solution. All undefeated FBS teams are included regardless of conference and then the next best one loss teams. It's rare for a G5 team to have a realistic shot to compete for a national championship.....but Frost's 2017 UCF team could have probably hung with Alabama. In the Peach Bowl....they beat Auburn....the only team to beat Alabama....the eventual national champions that year.

But yeah.....if you go undefeated.....you should have a shot. Not that it's relevant any longer....but yes....even SMU and App State prior to losing this past weekend. Not that I think either of them are as good as the 2017 UCF team.

Putting all my baskets in one egg, I realized that I had it back-assward.

Ya gotta run before you can walk, and dive with the dolphins before you swim. That would be chewing more than you can bite off.

You want chaos? What if:
MN beats PSU
PSU beats OSU
PSU beats MN in B1G championship
Alabama beats LSU
Georgia beats Alabama
Wake Forest beats Clemson
Oklahoma and Oregon win out

Minnesota 12-1 (loss to PSU)
Penn State 12-1 (loss to MN)
Ohio State 11-1 (loss to PSU)
Georgia 12-1 (loss to SC)
Alabama 12-1 (loss to UGA)
LSU 11-1 (loss to Bama)
Oklahoma 12-1 (loss to K-State)
Oregon 12-1 (loss to Auburn)
Clemson 11-1 (loss to Wake Forest)
Wake Forest 12-1 (loss to Louisville)

It's highly unlikely that a team from each Power Five conference goes undefeated all in one year. Toss in an undefeated Notre Dame (even though I think it's much easier to leave them out with no championship game to play.....especially with their schedule this year) and you've got quite a mess.

I think an eight team playoff is the best solution. All undefeated FBS teams are included regardless of conference and then the next best one loss teams. It's rare for a G5 team to have a realistic shot to compete for a national championship.....but Frost's 2017 UCF team could have probably hung with Alabama. In the Peach Bowl....they beat Auburn....the only team to beat Alabama....the eventual national champions that year.

But yeah.....if you go undefeated.....you should have a shot. Not that it's relevant any longer....but yes....even SMU and App State prior to losing this past weekend. Not that I think either of them are as good as the 2017 UCF team.

Yeah it's pretty unlikely to occur.

But for any 8 system I say champs from the 5 first. Then everyone else.

Want in? Win your conference.

You want chaos? What if:
MN beats PSU
PSU beats OSU
PSU beats MN in B1G championship
Alabama beats LSU
Georgia beats Alabama
Wake Forest beats Clemson
Oklahoma and Oregon win out

Minnesota 12-1 (loss to PSU)
Penn State 12-1 (loss to MN)
Ohio State 11-1 (loss to PSU)
Georgia 12-1 (loss to SC)
Alabama 12-1 (loss to UGA)
LSU 11-1 (loss to Bama)
Oklahoma 12-1 (loss to K-State)
Oregon 12-1 (loss to Auburn)
Clemson 11-1 (loss to Wake Forest)
Wake Forest 12-1 (loss to Louisville)

Even an 8 team playoff wouldn't satisfy that scenario

I just rewatched Babylon 5 last week. Best sci fi show ever made imo.

FFSu0PM.gif

Top Bottom