Putting all the horses before the cart but What If?

GridironGus

Reaction score
Going crazy waiting for Saturday so I started thinking about this.

What if the Gophers beat PSU, Iowa, NW and Wisky and are 12-0 going into the Big 10 Championship game.
The 12-0 Buckeyes destroy Penn State but are upset by the Gophers by one point.
LSU beats Alabama by one point and then Georgia beats LSU by one point in the SEC Championship game.
Clemson, Baylor and Oregon all run the table.
What four teams get in the CFB Playoffs?

Clemson 13-0
Georgia 12-1
LSU 12-1
Alabama 11-1
Baylor 13-0
Oregon 12-1
Minnesota 13-0
Ohio State 12-1

Last edited:

The undefeateds would be a lock, then the 4th would have to be Georgia in that situation. SEC champion will always be given the nod over a PAC-12 champion with the same record. Give Georgia two losses (but still the SEC championship) and then it gets really interesting.

What if the Gophers beat PSU, Iowa, NW and Wisky and are 12-0 going into the Big 10 Championship game.
LSU beats Alabama by one point and then Georgia beats LSU by one point in the SEC Championship game.

Clemson 13-0
Georgia 12-1
LSU 12-1
Alabama 11-1
Baylor 13-0
Oregon 12-1
Minnesota 13-0
Ohio State 12-1

2 Big Ten teams get in.

If we are 13-0, OSU losing to us would not be enough to push them out of top 4 from #1.
SEC would be best conference and need a team and it would go to Georgia for winning their title game.

I would expect Clemson to be the #1
Georgia the #2
OSU #3
Minnesota #4.

2 Big Ten teams get in.

If we are 13-0, OSU losing to us would not be enough to push them out of top 4 from #1.
SEC would be best conference and need a team and it would go to Georgia for winning their title game.

You think they'd leave out an undefeated P5 champion in Baylor? The Big 12 might just secede from the NCAA if that happened.

The undefeateds would be a lock, then the 4th would have to be Georgia in that situation. SEC champion will always be given the nod over a PAC-12 champion with the same record. Give Georgia two losses (but still the SEC championship) and then it gets really interesting.

I agree, but SEC champ Georgia with 2 losses... not in IMO if there's a backlog of 1 loss teams.

the machine would be much happier with us in the Rose Bowl.

Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St

Well, that scenario is more likely than winning the Megamillions lottery with one ticket, but still we're floating high in a balloon ride. I'll say

Clemson for sure
Gophers for sure
Baylor for sure
Alabama out of habit

They key is "Ohio State destroyed Penn State". So their only loss would be to an undefeated Minnesota.

1. Minnesota
2. Baylor
3. Georgia
4. Ohio State
....they would HATE to have two Big Ten teams but they would absolutely not want them to both reach the championship.

Clemson 13-0
Georgia 12-1
LSU 12-1
Alabama 11-1
Baylor 13-0
Oregon 12-1
Minnesota 13-0
Ohio State 12-1

Let me think like the NCAA selection committee. Hmm, defending National Champions are undefeated. So that's one team.

1. Clemson

There is a 1 loss Nick Saban team out there and those guys practically have a lifetime exemption into the final 4, so...

2. Alabama

Wow, how can we be this lucky! There is a 1 loss SEC Champion from a Redneck state where football is king!

3. Georgia

O......M......G!!!!!!! There is another 1 loss SEC team from the land of NASCAR, Football and Gators! Can't screw them over! They get the NFL to change rules because of 1 freaking blown call!

4. LSU

Rose Bowl:
MINNESOTA vs. Oregon

Cotton Bowl:
Baylor vs. Ohio State - if only there was another 1 loss SEC team to put in this game!

That's how the money goes and that is how it would be!

Last edited:

Clear the committee is trying to put a strong emphasis on quality wins. Here is who each team would have beaten in CFP Top 25.

Undefeated
Clemson - 19
Minnesota - 1, 4, 13, 18
Baylor - 9 (x2), 16, 23

1 Loss Teams
Georgia - 2, 10, 11, 15
LSU - 3, 10, 11
Alabama - 11
Oregon - 8
Ohio State - 4, 13, 14, 20

Based on that, I think you you eliminate Oregon and Alabama right off the bat. Only a single win each vs current Top 25.

Georgia gets in over LSU as SEC Champion (head to head) and better resume.

Trying not to be a homer, but Gophers resume goes from its current worst to best. I think they would be a shoe in.

So it its Georgia and Minnesota, we have 2 spots left for 3 schools: Ohio State, Clemson and Baylor.

Ohio State and Baylor resumes would be similar, but committee probably goes Baylor based on no losses and conference champion.

So....Ohio State or Clemson? That would be quite the decision. One is undefeated defending champion, but played a pillow soft schedule. The other had four strong wins and its lone loss being a close one to one of the CFP teams. My guess is Clemson would get the nod, but would be controversial.

Any remaining undefeated Power 5 teams will make the CFP. Our only hope this season is to be one of them.

Honestly - if the Gophers run the table and go 13-0, I would not be shocked if they were left out of the CFP. look at the first ratings that came out - Gophers 8-0 at #17, ranked behind teams with 2 losses.

On the other hand, here's a real wild scenario for you: Gophers go 13-0 and do not make the CFP. National hue and cry follows, and the CFP takes so much heat that they give in and announce the playoffs will be expanded to 8 teams.

In this scenario, the Gophers' loss turns out to be a plus for all football fans, and the Gophers will be forever remembered as the team that forced the expansion of the playoffs. Plus, the Gophers would be a sentimental favorite in the Rose Bowl, with a chance to go 14-0.

And then they can hand out their own "unofficial National Champions" rings.

Honestly - if the Gophers run the table and go 13-0, I would not be shocked if they were left out of the CFP. look at the first ratings that came out - Gophers 8-0 at #17, ranked behind teams with 2 losses.

On the other hand, here's a real wild scenario for you: Gophers go 13-0 and do not make the CFP. National hue and cry follows, and the CFP takes so much heat that they give in and announce the playoffs will be expanded to 8 teams.

In this scenario, the Gophers' loss turns out to be a plus for all football fans, and the Gophers will be forever remembered as the team that forced the expansion of the playoffs. Plus, the Gophers would be a sentimental favorite in the Rose Bowl, with a chance to go 14-0.

And then they can hand out their own "unofficial National Champions" rings.
lPF3O.jpg

Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St Penn St

Ha! 1-0 in the Penn State Championship week!

2 Big Ten teams get in.

I would expect Clemson to be the #1
Georgia the #2
OSU #3
Minnesota #4.

You're missing undefeated Baylor?

Clemson #1
Minnesota #2
Baylor #3
Georgia #4

Clemson 13-0
Georgia 12-1
LSU 12-1
Alabama 11-1
Baylor 13-0
Oregon 12-1
Minnesota 13-0
Ohio State 12-1

This is why message boards exist. Well done, sir!!!

(It's ok to be excited!!!)

You're missing undefeated Baylor?

Yeah.....there's absolutely no way that the committee leaves out an undefeated Baylor team. Several years ago before the Big XII reinstituted their championship game? Sure....I could see them justifying a one loss SEC champion. But for Baylor to stay undefeated they would likely have to go through Oklahoma twice and a good Texas team. That's nothing to sneeze at.

Yeah.....there's absolutely no way that the committee leaves out an undefeated Baylor team. Several years ago before the Big XII reinstituted their championship game? Sure....I could see them justifying a one loss SEC champion. But for Baylor to stay undefeated they would likely have to go through Oklahoma twice and a good Texas team. That's nothing to sneeze at.

Undefeated P5 with a championship game. Just really hard to justify turning them down.

Unless I am misunderstanding how the process works, an undefeated B1G champion goes to the CFP every time.

Unless I am misunderstanding how the process works, an undefeated B1G champion goes to the CFP every time.

Well there's no guarantee of that... but it should work that, for any of the P5s ... but there are 5....

Top Bottom