Funny Story As We Patiently Wait for Sat.

topos

Reaction score
I 've been a Gophers fan as long as I can remember. One particular memory stands apart.

It was November 2nd, 2002 and I was an impressionable 12-year-old. The Golden Gophers faced the Ohio Buckeyes in Columbus. I don't know what the circumstances were, but for some reason, I did not watch the game live during the day. Without knowing the results, my dad had queued up the replay for my brother and I to watch that evening.

Coincidentally, it was date night for my dad and mom. Before they left, my dad sat my brother and I down and told us, "Guys, keep your eyes peeled to the Gophers game tonight. It's gonna start to look a little ugly, but guys, this was the best Gopher football game I have ever seen. You are in for a treat. Don't get discouraged when things start to go poorly. All I can say is.........................comeback."

We were fricken locked in! Ohio St. scores 7-0. Ohio St. scores again 14-0. Another quick TD for the Buckeyes, 21-0.

Every passing Ohio St. score my brother and I got more excited. "Oh my god, this is going to be such a great comeback!!"

When the rout was on in the 4th quarter, my brain was scrambling to figure out how we were going to pull it off. TD, onside kick, TD, onside kick, it was going to be EPIC!

The clock hit 0.00 and the score was 34-3, Buckeyes. My brother and I were in tears. The feeling of despair was indescribable. It wasn't just that they lost, but I was 100% sure that they were going to take down the #6 team in the country.

Shortly after the game ended, my dad and mom returned.

"Why did you do that Dad!?!?"

"Do what??"

"Lie about the Gophers!"

"I just wanted you knuckleheads to behave for three hours. Looks like it worked."

Moral of the Story: There had been a lot of painful memories for all of us during our Gopher fandom, some of which have been passed down from generation to generation.

I will be in attendance on Saturday with my brother and a**hole dad to witness the official revival of Gopher football. All past trauma will be worth it with a W on Sat.

I remember listening to the Gophers on the radio in 1982 when they beat Ohio U 57-3. Goldy got too tired to do all those pushups, so he lay on his back and did pushups against the air.

I 've been a Gophers fan as long as I can remember. One particular memory stands apart.

It was November 2nd, 2002 and I was an impressionable 12-year-old. The Golden Gophers faced the Ohio Buckeyes in Columbus. I don't know what the circumstances were, but for some reason, I did not watch the game live during the day. Without knowing the results, my dad had queued up the replay for my brother and I to watch that evening.

Coincidentally, it was date night for my dad and mom. Before they left, my dad sat my brother and I down and told us, "Guys, keep your eyes peeled to the Gophers game tonight. It's gonna start to look a little ugly, but guys, this was the best Gopher football game I have ever seen. You are in for a treat. Don't get discouraged when things start to go poorly. All I can say is.........................comeback."

We were fricken locked in! Ohio St. scores 7-0. Ohio St. scores again 14-0. Another quick TD for the Buckeyes, 21-0.

Every passing Ohio St. score my brother and I got more excited. "Oh my god, this is going to be such a great comeback!!"

When the rout was on in the 4th quarter, my brain was scrambling to figure out how we were going to pull it off. TD, onside kick, TD, onside kick, it was going to be EPIC!

The clock hit 0.00 and the score was 34-3, Buckeyes. My brother and I were in tears. The feeling of despair was indescribable. It wasn't just that they lost, but I was 100% sure that they were going to take down the #6 team in the country.

Shortly after the game ended, my dad and mom returned.

"Why did you do that Dad!?!?"

"Do what??"

"Lie about the Gophers!"

"I just wanted you knuckleheads to behave for three hours. Looks like it worked."

Moral of the Story: There had been a lot of painful memories for all of us during our Gopher fandom, some of which have been passed down from generation to generation.

I will be in attendance on Saturday with my brother and a**hole dad to witness the official revival of Gopher football. All past trauma will be worth it with a W on Sat.

GREAT STORY, Thanks for sharing.

Anyone else recall what year we got ahead on Ohio State big time on the way to a big upset, only to lose it? 35-31 or something?

Other than the fact that the Gophers scored first to go up 3-0......

Anyone else recall what year we got ahead on Ohio State big time on the way to a big upset, only to lose it? 35-31 or something?

'89. F-ing Gutey.

Up 31-0 in the second quarter and forced OSU to punt, but had a penalty of some sort that gave them a first down and they turned that into points. Second half was like watching a car wreck in slow motion.

Last edited:

'89. F-ing Gutey.

Up 31-0 in the second quarter and forced OSU to punt, but had a penalty of some sort that gave them a first down and they turned that into points. Second half was like watching a car wreck in slow motion.

Found some video.

Every Gopher Fan has been here (3:41 mark).
This is probably a GH'er.

I was just thinking of that. 1989, the Gophers were up 31-0. I was in Florida at the time, in the Air Force and I was new at the base after transferring from Korea. We could only get sporadic sports updates than, we didn't have the ticker on the screen. I was feeling pretty good with the Gophers up 31-0 and the next I heard was "... the greatest comeback in college football history."

I'm looking at the box score right now. Ohio State scored a TD to get within 3 with 3:01 left, and got the winning score with 51 seconds left.

https://gophersports.com/documents/2018/7/5//MN_OSU_1989.html

According to this article, the Gophers had a shot at winning at the end.

https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/footb...-record-in-comeback-win-at-minnesota-in-1989/

Ohio State trailed Minnesota, 31-0, but staged an incredible comeback and defeated the Gophers 41-37, tying the record for the largest deficit overcome by a Division I-A team.

October 29, 1989 (AP) – Even the Ohio State Buckeyes knew they had no business becoming only the second team ever to win after trailing by 31 points.

“Things like this, they can’t happen,” said Jeff Graham, who caught Greg Frey’s 15-yard touchdown pass with 51 seconds to play as the Buckeyes beat Minnesota 41-37.

“People call it luck. People call it a miracle,” Graham said. “That’s OK. I believe in luck and miracles.”

Said Minnesota’s Eddie Miles: “When you’re up 31-0, you think there’s no way possible they could come back. No way. No way.”

Only on Nov. 10, 1984 — when Maryland rallied from a 31-0 deficit to beat Miami of Florida 42-40 — had an NCAA Division I-A team ever finished such a comeback.

“It definitely was a great comeback. Had to be the greatest,” said Carlos Snow, who caught two TD passes. “It certainly was the greatest game I’ve ever been a part of. I’m proud to have been in it.”

The Buckeyes had to overcome six turnovers to beat the Gophers for the eighth straight year and the 20th time in 21 meetings since 1969.

Even though it blew a lead of historic proportions, Minnesota still had a chance to win. But Steve Rhem could only get one hand on Scott Schaffner’s 22-yard pass into the end zone as time expired.

Apparently, the Buckeyes had used up all the miracles allowed for one game.

“He had a chance for it,” Gophers coach John Gutekunst said. “It would have been a great catch, but miracles don’t happen all the time.”

In the first half, Frey completed two of eight passes for 35 yards, and his two fumbles and an interception led to 17 Minnesota points.

But in the second half, he was 18 for 23 for 327 yards. He also scored a touchdown and completed two of his three two-point conversion passes after intermission.

“Things happened so quick in the second half, I didn’t have time to worry about anything but throwing the ball,” Frey said. “I’m glad I played the way I did. I had something to make up for.”

Frey sandwiched two TD passes to Snow around a 32-yard field goal by Minnesota’s Brent Berglund, pulling Ohio State within 34-26.

It appeared the Buckeyes’ final turnover — with 7:25 left, center Dan Beatty’s shotgun snap never reached Frey and Sean Lumpkin recovered, leading to Berglund’s 42-yard kick — might do them in, but Frey led two quick scoring drives.

First, a 17-yard pass to Graham on third-and-18 set up Frey’s 1-yard, fourth-down TD run to make it 37-34.

Then, the Buckeyes’ defense forced a punt and OSU went 73 yards in five plays, as Frey survived a 15-yard sack to complete four passes for 88 yards. Graham scored the winner after getting behind Les O’Hara in the back right corner of the end zone.

“It was man-to-man coverage with the free safety,” Graham said. “He was 8 yards off me. I came off the line real hard and he bit for an inside move.”

Ohio State stopped Minnesota’s first offensive series, but a short punt hit the leg of OSU blocker Rich Huffman and the Gophers’ Scott Streiff recovered on Ohio State’s 28-yard line. Four plays later, Darrell Thompson scored from 12 yards.

Thompson rushed for 133 yards to become the first Minnesota runner ever to eclipse 4,000 career yards.

The Buckeyes’ second possession ended as Frey fumbled when sacked by Miles, with Minnesota’s Bob Coughlin recovering at OSU’s 22. Berglund’s 30-yard field goal made it 10-0.

'89. F-ing Gutey.

We had two small boys at that time and to see the game I had to pack the four of us up, drive three hours, rent a motel room and send the boys off with their mom to go shopping. When they got back the game had just ended. I drove them the three hours home but made up a new rule. No body, no body could say one word to dad for the whole trip.

Ohio State scored a TD and a 2 point conversion with 10 seconds left in the first half. If they had been held to a field goal rather than scoring the winning TD with 51 seconds left, they would have had to go for 2 just to try to escape with a tie. If they had missed the 2-point conversion, the Gophers would have a chance to kick a field goal at the end to win or tie (depending on if Ohio State had made the 2-point conversion that they would have surely attempted).

I didn't know a lot of the details about this game until today.

1. To the OP: Great story. I was at that game and it was a cold one. I do recall Nystrom hitting an opening drive FG to give MN a 3-0 lead and I think we only trailed 3-7 at halftime. We hung with them decently for the first half. The 2nd half they blew our doors off.

2. Regarding 1988 blown lead to Ohio State: I grew up watching and attending games with my dad and grandfather. We didn't have cable and my dad could only afford to take us to 1 game a year. This game was on ABC so it was a pretty special treat to be able to watch the game LIVE. My dad and I went over to my grandfather's house and were giddy for the first 3 quarters. I've rarely seen my dad get that full of rage as he did that afternoon. My grandfather merely sat in his chair with hands clasped, not showing any hint of expression. My grandfather passed away in 1995. He was the biggest homer I knew. Every year he predicted the Gophers would win the Big Ten. Even during the Jim Wacker years he never stopped believing. My dad is 78 now but he still loves the Gophers. He bought season tickets about 10 years ago and attends every game...but we both know that the number of seasons he has left is getting smaller. I really hope we can continue this special ride this year.

I remember listening to the Gophers on the radio in 1982 when they beat Ohio U 57-3. Goldy got too tired to do all those pushups, so he lay on his back and did pushups against the air.
I was at that game I had student season tickets.

Not quite the same, but my parents went out for the night on February 27, 1982. I don't think I had ever watched a college basketball game at this point, but for some reason I watched the Gophers play at Iowa. Game goes into triple overtime. Even though I really wasn't into basketball yet, I had kept getting more and more into the game as it went on, and I was starting to cheer louder and louder at home by myself. My parents get home right at the end of the third OT right when the Gophers hit the game winning shot and hear me damn near screaming and come running to see what was wrong. Good times!

Was up near Bemidji grouse hunting with a good friend, and we were at the truck, tuned in to WCCO and Ray.... that game damn near broke the hearts of a couple of 27 year olds, and Ray....

Last edited:

Did you post this on Reddit too? I swear I read this already.

Do they have cfb/big ten boards on quora? I have never used it.

The reddit boards are great. No one complains about the Gophers or argues like they do here. We're actually highly praised by other school's fans, B1G and nationally.

Do they have cfb/big ten boards on quora? I have never used it.

The reddit boards are great. No one complains about the Gophers or argues like they do here. We're actually highly praised by other school's fans, B1G and nationally.

Ha no, I just follow topics on Quora that are interesting to me. I don't think it is big for sports. I will have to check out Reddit. I didn't even know fan boards were a thing there. I've only posted on Reddit for business-related feedback and got absolutely torn apart. It built character...

Then there was the 2007 game against Miami (OH), the only game the Gophers won that year, and were very fortunate to win that one. The Gophers were up by 16 in the middle of the 4th and gave up 16 points on 3 scores, to send the game to OT. Miami got the opening TD in OT and the Gophers scored a TD on 3rd and 10 from the 25 to tie it. Second OT, Gophers missed a 26 yard FG, but Miami missed a 33 yard FG. Gophers win it in OT #3.

Then there was the 2007 game against Miami (OH), the only game the Gophers won that year, and were very fortunate to win that one. The Gophers were up by 16 in the middle of the 4th and gave up 16 points on 3 scores, to send the game to OT. Miami got the opening TD in OT and the Gophers scored a TD on 3rd and 10 from the 25 to tie it. Second OT, Gophers missed a 26 yard FG, but Miami missed a 33 yard FG. Gophers win it in OT #3.

2007 in a nutshell.

I'm sure we've done this already, but do we have an EPIC loss thread somewhere to collect all of these historical losses?

2003 Michigan
1989 OSU
Mason's bowl games
WI Punter Game.
That Purdue drive to get a FG off when there was only 9 seconds left and they got 3 plays off with OUR clock keeper?
Nebraska 84-13
Illinois last year?
Illinois during the 2014 season
Leidners 17 interceptions vs Wisconsin?
Penn State - Kijana Carter game. Something like 3 first quarter carries for about 160 yards and 3 TD's?

Kill can't make it to #19 Michigan so we lose 58-0 in 2011
Fleck first season at Northwestern. RUTM all game and be sure to turnover the ball often.

I know I'm just scratching the surface.

Most were last second heart-break, but many were just emotional setbacks of epic proportion getting blown out when we thought we might start to contend.

How about the 2015 game against Kent State, where the Gophers won 10-7? Terrible day by the offense, but the defense played great. Kent State's only score was an 8 yard fumble return. Kent State crossed midfield only once, getting to the Gophers' 42 yard line. Aside from that, Kent State only crossed their own 40 once, getting to their own 45 yard line.

One of those "Oh, crap, at least we won!" games.

I can't remember which game it was, but it must have been in the 2003 or 2004 season. We lost a close game due in part to the signature atrocious defense of the Mason era. Our secondary played like crap, particularly CB Trumaine Banks. After the game, there was a party at an apartment at University Village where my buddy drowning his sorrows in Grain Belt beer, loudly and obnoxiously ranting about how crappy the Gophers played that day. Some athletes came to the party and were introduced to my buddy as Gopher Football players. He said "Great! At least you aren't that goddamned Trumaine Banks...that guy sucks!" One of the athletes promptly turned around and left, because he was, in fact, Trumaine Banks.

Love this OP story!!

Thanks for sharing.

Go Gophers!!

Fleck first season at Northwestern. RUTM all game and be sure to turnover the ball often.
Ugh, don't remind me of this one. I took my son to this game for a road trip and it was cold and snow/rain the entire time. He was miserable, the Gophers were terrible and we left at halftime trailing 25-0. I never leave early but I did that day.

Top Bottom