Kawhi Leonard already sitting out front end of B2B games for "load management"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Kawhi Leonard already sitting out front end of B2B games for "load management"

per Axios:

For the second time in eight games, Kawhi Leonard missed the front end of a Clippers back-to-back, nixing what was supposed to be a battle between the reigning MVP (Giannis Antetokounmpo) and the reigning NBA Finals MVP (Leonard).

In his absence, Antetokounmpo (38-16-9) became the sixth player in NBA history with three straight 30-15-5 games, and the Bucks won 129-124.
It was entertaining, but it wasn't what fans thought they were getting when they saw Bucks-Clippers on the schedule. And ESPN, which broadcast the game nationally, probably wasn't thrilled.
The backdrop: This is part of Leonard's "load management" plan, which he also used with the Raptors last year. He missed 22 games during the regular season and crediting that rest with helping him play 39 minutes a night in the playoffs en route to a championship.

The NBA, which can fine teams for sitting healthy players for nationally-televised games, approved of Leonard's rest, saying it was "comfortable with the team medical staff's determination that Leonard is not sufficiently healthy to play in back-to-back games."
Why it matters: This is the second straight week that Leonard sat out of ESPN's Wednesday night showcase, elevating the load management debate to the national stage and reflecting poorly on the league's product.

One potential solution would be to ensure that no nationally-televised games involve back-to-backs, although that would just be masking a problem. At that point, why not just shorten the season and/or eliminate all back-to-backs? (This might be the best solution.)
What they're saying: "I believe the league has a long-term problem," said ESPN's Doris Burke. "Kawhi not playing, to me, is ridiculous at this point."

"The Clippers obviously have a responsibility to Kawhi and to winning and to long-term, but the league is and should be concerned that their best players are not playing on nights when they're on national television."
The bottom line: Load management flat-out stinks for fans, but unfortunately, it isn't a problem with a clear fix because the overarching issue is the relative unimportance of the regular season.

Howl Wolves!!

The NBA has a problem. If I was a fan that had bought tickets to that game because Kawhi was coming to town who is one of their biggest stars and he sat I'd be pissed.

I wish Gibson got load management. I always wanted my money back when I bought tickets and he ended up pitching.

The NBA has a problem. If I was a fan that had bought tickets to that game because Kawhi was coming to town who is one of their biggest stars and he sat I'd be pissed.

I'm fine with the NBA fining the teams that do this a lot. Good luck doing it, but I would welcome the attempt.

I'm fine with the NBA fining the teams that do this a lot. Good luck doing it, but I would welcome the attempt.

It would be so hard to do, teams will just say the player is ill or has a slight injury or something.

This is a really bad look for the league though. This is what happens when games don't really matter cuz you play so many. Can you imagine NFL stars sitting out thursday games for no reason regularly? The NFL would make changes immediately.

Another reason why I don't watch much of the NBA anymore. A new rule should be if you are a healthy scratch for a max-level player, you forfeit your game check. Also, games that end 140-139 doesn't mean great offense was being played. It means the players were giving very little effort on defense.

My definition of "load management" is when you're driving down the freeway looking for a rest stop because you have to drop a load.

Top Bottom