Here's why I think we can beat Penn St.

What's giving me hope.....Pundits point to Iowa and Michigan as gold standard opponents and PSU's ability to still post impressive stats against the rush.

However, Iowa has not shown the ability to run the ball effectively like they traditionally can. The averaged 2.3 yards per rush against PSU which is impressive for the Nittany Lions. However, the Hawks only averaged 3.1 ypc against Purdue and NW and 0.0 against Michigan. They did, however manage 5.0 ypc against Rutgers. On the season the Hawks are managing just 3.9 ypc which is hardly what you want.

In addition, Michigan wasn't able to rush effectively with any consistency until recently. In their first 6 games they only cracked 4 ypc twice (6.1 v. Illinois and 5.2 v. MTSU). The other 4 were 2.1 (Wisc.), 2.4 (Army), 2.4 (Rutgers), and 3.6 (Iowa). Thus, it's not like Michigan's run game was clicking heading into the PSU game. They rushed for 3.4 ypc against PSU.

Consequently, I'm hoping that the PSU stats are a little fool's gold, and that we take it to him on the ground and in the air!!

I’m sorry but that is complete bias. Minnesota hasn’t played anyone, Hamler has proven himself against great defenses torching Michigan and Iowa. Look at any top wide receiver lists and Hamler is there a lot sooner than either of them. Watch some highlights

The PSU fan answer to everything. "Minnesota hasn't played anyone" so therefore nothing is good in comparison to Penn State (which of course has played everyone).

I’m sorry but that is complete bias. Minnesota hasn’t played anyone, Hamler has proven himself against great defenses torching Michigan and Iowa. Look at any top wide receiver lists and Hamler is there a lot sooner than either of them. Watch some highlights

I guess you haven’t watched many Gopher games over the last two seasons. Those are completely different types of receivers, with different skill sets. Johnson and Bateman will both be playing on Sundays. I don’t know enough about Hamler to know his ceiling, but he’s a pretty small dude.

No doubt Hamler will be a tough test. But, on the opposite side, after Johnson and Bateman draw extra attention and still make some plays, Chris Autman Bell can put PSU out their misery. My guess is they have YouTube access around PSU to see highlights of what is coming. Sure those highlights were against nobodies. Guess the Gophers will need to make some new highlights against these somebodies or wannabes or whatever they are.

I guess you haven’t watched many Gopher games over the last two seasons. Those are completely different types of receivers, with different skill sets. Johnson and Bateman will both be playing on Sundays. I don’t know enough about Hamler to know his ceiling, but he’s a pretty small dude.

Hamler will also be playing on Sunday's, but you are correct that he's a completely different type of receiver.

Hamler profiles very similarly to a player like T.Y. Hilton or Tyreek Hill if you want a NFL type comparison.

Johnson and Bateman are both X style, jump ball type receivers. Think more of Davante Adams, Josh Gordon, or Alshon Jeffery.

Oh Geez.... someone should look into this guy and make sure his head is ok

Hi PSU Guy.
Thanks for joining our forum to discuss Minnesota Golden Gopher football!
Glad to have you aboard as a fan.

Thanks for cautioning us from over-optimism. That's certainly a value that is needed on this site after our last 50 years of rabid success.
You're doing a fine thing here by providing us reasons to not be TOO-EXCITED about our program.
Did you know we just sold out our stadium for the first time in years and it holds 50,000.

Somehow, you've felt the need to come here to better caution us and anyone who bought a ticket that Gopher fans may endure some disappointment tomorrow.

What a valuable service you're providing!

Thanks again!

Hi PSU Guy.
Thanks for joining our forum to discuss Minnesota Golden Gopher football!
Glad to have you aboard as a fan.

Thanks for cautioning us from over-optimism. That's certainly a value that is needed on this site after our last 50 years of rabid success.
You're doing a fine thing here by providing us reasons to not be TOO-EXCITED about our program.
Did you know we just sold out our stadium for the first time in years and it holds 50,000.

Somehow, you've felt the need to come here to better caution us and anyone who bought a ticket that Gopher fans may endure some disappointment tomorrow.

What a valuable service you're providing!

Thanks again!

IALTO

Is Hamler better than JD Spielman?

I assume so.

If so, how?

Faster?

It's not just me. Pro Football Focus ranked our receiving corps #4 in the entire country at midseason, PSU was #22

https://www.pff.com/news/college-pff-rankings-receiving-corps-rankings-for-2019

CBS, PFF, Walter Football and Draft trek all have Johnson ahead of Hamler and most think Bateman will be an even higher draft prospect than Johnson.

Also look at what Tyler Johnson did last year. 8 catches for 119 yards at OSU last year and 6 catches for 107 yards and a TD against Iowa. Two years ago he had 8 catches for 106 yards and 3 TD's against MSU when they had the #3 total defense in the Big Ten and that was with Croft at QB. And this year he had 10 catches for 140 yards and 3 TD's against Georgia Southern who has just as good of a CB duo as any team PSU has faced. Kindle Vildor was a second team All American last year by PFF and he was on Johnson the whole game.

And last year Bateman had 7 catches for 65 yards and 2 TD's against Iowa who had the #2 total defense and #3 pass defense in the Big Ten.

Also against mutual competition, Maryland and Purdue, Bateman had 216 yards and 3 TD's, Tyler Johnson had 110 yards, 2 TD's and Hamler had 149 yards and 2 TD's.

Last year against mutual competition, OSU, Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois and Maryland, Hamler had 400 yards and 2 TD's. Tyler had 382 yards and 1 TD and Bateman had 353 yards and 5 TD's.

Last edited:

Hamler will also be playing on Sunday's, but you are correct that he's a completely different type of receiver.

Hamler profiles very similarly to a player like T.Y. Hilton or Tyreek Hill if you want a NFL type comparison.

Johnson and Bateman are both X style, jump ball type receivers. Think more of Davante Adams, Josh Gordon, or Alshon Jeffery.

I don’t know if that’s exactly right. They’re both effective with jump balls and body control. They’re both good route runners...I’ll give Johnson the edge there, mostly based on experience. Both are relatively shifty in the open field, and good at getting YAC, Bateman especially so. Bateman can take the top off a defense. He has legit 4.3-4.4 speed. I think most consider Johnson to be the #1 guy, but Bateman has a higher ceiling, because he doesn’t appear to have a glaring weakness. Johnson has a tendency to drop an easy catch every once in a while, and doesn’t have blazing speed.

I don’t know if that’s exactly right. They’re both effective with jump balls and body control. They’re both good route runners...I’ll give Johnson the edge there, mostly based on experience. Both are relatively shifty in the open field, and good at getting YAC, Bateman especially so. Bateman can take the top off a defense. He has legit 4.3-4.4 speed. I think most consider Johnson to be the #1 guy, but Bateman has a higher ceiling, because he doesn’t appear to have a glaring weakness. Johnson has a tendency to drop an easy catch every once in a while, and doesn’t have blazing speed.

You can be a big jump ball receiver and still be very fast - I was doing a more blanket comparison but Batman profiles closer to Josh Gordon with his size, strength and ability to take it to the house where as Johnson is more of a route runner with good jump ball skills and I'd view him as closer to Jeffery.

And of course, no comparison is perfect, just looking at a few of their traits and finding a player I think is a decent comparison.

For being a national power, blue-blood helmet school, Penn State hasn't exactly dominated the Gophers through the years.

For being a national power, blue-blood helmet school, Penn State hasn't exactly dominated the Gophers through the years.

...and had replay been around, Mason would've had one more victory against them!!!!!

I think we beat Penn State because:

1. Our WR's expose the Penn State passing defense, which is ranked 10th out of 14 in the B1G
2. We are statistically more disciplined (roughly 38 penalty yards per game to Penn State's 58 yards) - less crucial penalties tomorrow

Just my opinion - I'm completely biased and recognize said bias. Can't wait until kickoff to see how it all plays out!

You can be a big jump ball receiver and still be very fast - I was doing a more blanket comparison but Batman profiles closer to Josh Gordon with his size, strength and ability to take it to the house where as Johnson is more of a route runner with good jump ball skills and I'd view him as closer to Jeffery.

And of course, no comparison is perfect, just looking at a few of their traits and finding a player I think is a decent comparison.

Got I didn’t look close enough at first, and thought I was responding to the PSU fan who clearly knows nothing about our receivers.

We didn’t even get into Chris Autman-Bell, whose certainly capable of making them pay. They can’t double cover everyone.

I agree with many on here who say they are tired of hearing, 'we haven't beaten anyone.' You can imagine the players and coaches are pretty tired of hearing that, too.
What I always tell people who say that is, "What about Wisconsin, then?" This is essentially the same team that went into Madison last year and beat the crap out of the Badgers. They shut down a high power offense and brutalized their defense. If anything, the team has improved as it has gained more experience all year long but it will take a complete team victory like they did in that game to win here.

- The Gophers have established themselves as being an excellent tough cold-weather team. The last couple years we have played in inclement conditions and the Gophers seem to really thrive in it. You can tell other teams really aren't having a whole lot of fun after they keep getting hit. QB Morgan in particular does well in these type of cold weather games. Penn St. won't quit - but they aren't going to like playing in 20 degrees nearly as much as 70 degrees, either. Hit them hard and keep hitting them, too.

- The Gophers are for real. After squeaking by their first 3 games, they have covered their last 5 Big Ten games in a row. This isn't easy to do as Las Vegas continues to adjust the line upward each time they are covering.

- The Gophers have been beating their opponents soundly and each time the opponents are talking about how hard they are getting hit and how tough the Gophers are. Nebraska coach Frost said he wished his team played like the Gophers. This might be the highest praise an opponent can give you.

- The Gophers have traditionally played Penn St. very close and they are 5-5 the last 10 games they have played. They went into Beaver Stadium and nearly won a few years ago and come into TCF Bank in front of what should be an extremely vocal partisan crowd in what will be near sellout.

- Despite being 8-0 the Gophers have continued to fly under the radar. They have not been respected by many (although a #13 ranking is a step in the right direction.)I have talked about how this team reminds me of the early 1990's Northwestern teams that everyone thought they would beat and took for granted. Then after they had that one penciled in for a win had to erase it and write it in as a loss. Same type of tenacity and poise - watch out for that kind of team.

- Do not underestimate the Gopher RB's - I will take that trio of fresh legs to run hard all game long. Smith in particular looks like he is running very well but Brooks and Ibrahim give the team a chance against anyone.

- LB Martin should be back and that helps immensely. Gophers are playing very hard and very well with serious momentum.

All in all, Penn St. is a very good team and have many talented players. They will be a serious test for sure and the Gophers will have to play their very best to even have a chance here. However, the Gophers should not be taken for granted against anyone. I would not want to play against them right now. They have a very legitimate chance to knock off Penn St. and I think coaches, players and true fans all know this. They are a very dangerous team.

"...vocal partisan crowd in what will be near sellout..." NEAR sellout. The biggest game since the early 60s in the largest metro area in the conference and the second smallest stadium. No doubt in my mind why.

Those are not good odds as Franklin hasn’t lost to a Big Ten opponent not named “Ohio State, Michigan, and Michigan State” since 2015.

Okay Mr. Sandusky, I was clearly joking. Go troll OSU fanboards, they just lost Chase to suspension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, however I wasn’t debating that you guys haven’t played players similar to Hamler. I was simply saying him trying to diminish Hamler’s talents by stating Minnesota “has 2 or more players equivalent to him”, simply isn’t true.

You don’t think Tyler Johnson and Rashad Bateman are near the same level as Hamler? Do I need to point out that statistically Hamler falls right between our two top receivers in yards and TD’s. But sure, Hamler is far more superior. In addition, while you have one stud, we have 2 great WR’s and a 3rd that is well above average. Not to mention 3 solid RB’s, 2 of which put the entire current PSU RB roster to shame.

“Minnesota hasn’t played anyone”. I think that is now the 2,847th time I’ve heard that in two weeks. Shut the hell up. We’ve been destroying teams the same way PSU has been destroying inferior opponents. Let’s not call a 17-12 win over Iowa a “torching” buddy. Neither is a 17-10 win over Pitt. And beating Michigan (a team that under Harbaugh always struggles against teams ranked near to and/or better than them) by 7 isn’t a “torching” either. Is Hamler really good? Yes. Is he leagues better than Johnson or Bateman? No, definitely not. I’d lump in right in with Rondale Moore. Speedy, good at the shake and bake, but not unstoppable.

He isn’t called “the human joystick” for nothing.

Did Jerry Sandusky give him that nickname during a summer camp?

Regardless of his talent, that isn’t a flattering nickname.

I'm being optimistic about tomorrow, but either way this is fun...down here in Oklahoma, people are talking about the Gophers with me...Gopher football is on the map and relevant. I love it.

I'm being optimistic about tomorrow, but either way this is fun...down here in Oklahoma, people are talking about the Gophers with me...Gopher football is on the map and relevant. I love it.

We have already won, and this is all the evidence we need.

You’re funny bringing up a pedophile. You’d think Minnesota being relevant, only because they’ve played ****, for the first time in how long? You’d think it’s fans wouldn’t try to talk so much ****.

How is “the human joystick” not flattering??? It means he can move like a joystick, boomer.

You’ll see when he torches y’all tomorrow though.

“Minnesota hasn’t played anyone”. I think that is now the 2,847th time I’ve heard that in two weeks. Shut the hell up. We’ve been destroying teams the same way PSU has been destroying inferior opponents. Let’s not call a 17-12 win over Iowa a “torching” buddy. Neither is a 17-10 win over Pitt. And beating Michigan (a team that under Harbaugh always struggles against teams ranked near to and/or better than them) by 7 isn’t a “torching” either. Is Hamler really good? Yes. Is he leagues better than Johnson or Bateman? No, definitely not. I’d lump in right in with Rondale Moore. Speedy, good at the shake and bake, but not unstoppable.

Tell me the score the last time a ranked Michigan and OSU visited Iowa stadium at night. I’ll wait.

Y’all haven’t played anyone. If you beat us, then talk ****. Until then

Hahaha this is so good

You don’t think Tyler Johnson and Rashad Bateman are near the same level as Hamler? Do I need to point out that statistically Hamler falls right between our two top receivers in yards and TD’s. But sure, Hamler is far more superior. In addition, while you have one stud, we have 2 great WR’s and a 3rd that is well above average. Not to mention 3 solid RB’s, 2 of which put the entire current PSU RB roster to shame.

Do I need to point out that you’re comparing one of the most talented teams in the country to a team who’s best opponent this season has been Illinois? ? your players aren’t good. And our secondary will be fine vs your mediocre receivers.

Tell me the score the last time a ranked Michigan and OSU visited Iowa stadium at night. I’ll wait.

Y’all haven’t played anyone. If you beat us, then talk ****. Until then

What you consider torching, I call hardly defeating. But whatever floats ya boat.

Top Bottom