With his new extension, PJ Fleck wants to become Minnesota’s Barry Alvarez

hungan1

Reaction score
PJ Fleck wants to become Minnesota’s Barry Alvarez

The stars are aligned with the full support of the AD, the Prez, and the BOR in Minnesota.

PJ Fleck is staying in Minnesota for the long haul. Zach Barnett of Football Scoops thinks so.

He is fully committed to establishing a winning culture and a winning legacy. Good times lie ahead for Gopher fans!

Lead by the "Empire Class" with Carter Coughlin, Kamal Martin, Tyler Johnson, Thomas Barber, Antoine Winfield, and others and including PJ Fleck's first two full recruiting classes - the Gophers sneakily won 20 games in less than 3 years under PJ Fleck.

Jerry Kill and Tracy Claeys deserve credit for laying the foundation. This program is not a complete rebuild. The Gophers won the Holiday Bowl in December 2016 and went 9-4 before Claeys was replaced by Fleck.

PJ Fleck record to date at Minnesota:
2017 12G 05W 07L
2018 13G 07W 06L
2019 08G 08W 00L
Total 33G 20W 13L

By Zach Barnett, Football Scoops, November 6, 2019.

https://footballscoop.com/news/with-his-new-extension-pj-fleck-wants-to-become-minnesotas-barry-alvarez/

One of my favorite pieces I wrote last year was this, examining why Wisconsin and Iowa have built successful cultures that have endured over decades while the third leg of their 3-way rivalry — Minnesota — has not. I could spend a lot of words explaining the differences between Minnesota and its two rivals, or I could just re-print this chart, accurate to Oct. 3 of last year.

Minnesota vs. its two rivals, since 1979

Program----------Iowa-----Wisc-----Minn
AP Top 25----------16-------16--------02
Con/Div titles------06-------09--------00
Bowl Games-------29-------26--------16
Total Wins---------289------293------203

Fleck’s explanation boiled down to one word, a word that he says with annoying frequency: culture.

The Gophers were preparing to play Iowa that week, and Fleck said the reason Iowa and Wisconsin consistently won eight, nine, and 10 games a year was because those programs took the time to establish cultures, while Minnesota constantly changed its culture every few years, all the while falling more and more behind with every coaching change. Iowa has employed two head coaches since 1979 (Hayden Fry, Kirk Ferentz) while Wisconsin was led by Barry Alvarez from 1990 through 2005, and then by Alvarez’s hand-picked successors thereafter.

It’s no wonder, Fleck argued, that Iowa and Wisconsin won like they did, and Minnesota wouldn’t match them until they found their own Hayden Fry, their own Barry Alvarez and stuck with him. And, oh by the way, wouldn’t it be great if Minnesota’s answer was standing right in front of you right now?

“When I got here, we laid out the whole plan. Year 1, Year 2, Year 3, Year 4, Year 5, Year 6, Year 7, Year 8, the whole thing,” Fleck said. “I said, ‘This is what it looks like. If you don’t like this, please do not hire me. This is the way I know how to do it from the people who raised me and my experience as a head coach.”

It was a self-serving argument, but it wasn’t an incorrect one.

Fleck was 8-8 at the time he said those words, and 2-8 in Big Ten play. The Gophers lost to Iowa that Saturday — their fourth straight in the series, sixth in the last seven, ninth in the last 12, 14th of the last 18, 19th of the last 26, and 26th of the last 37. Minnesota lost to Ohio State the Saturday after that, and then to Nebraska the Saturday after that.

Heading into their Oct. 26 game with Indiana last season, Minnesota stood at 8-11 under Fleck and 2-11 in Big Ten play.

Since then, though, Minnesota is 12-2. They’re 8-2 in the Big Ten (bested only by Ohio State and Penn State) and winners of 10 straight overall. Included in that winning streak is a 37-15 victory at Wisconsin, snapping a 14-game losing skid to the hated Badgers.

That brought us to Wednesday, when Minnesota announced a seven-year extension (https://footballscoop.com/news/pj-fleck-agrees-7-year-extension-minnesota/) to keep Fleck under contract through 2026.

Wisconsin didn’t get to be Wisconsin by firing Barry Alvarez at the first sign of trouble, or the second, or the third — Alvarez went 11-22 in his first three seasons, before going 10-1-1 in Year 4. But that’s just one side of the equation, though. The other is that Alvarez didn’t leave at the first sign of success, either.

Fleck paid lip service to that last October, and on Wednesday he followed through with his signature.

“That cultural sustainability that we talked about when we first got here, that’s really important,” Fleck said Wednesday (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl7Xtp5WRYo). “That’s how the Iowas have become the Iowas and the Wisconsins have become the Wisconsins.”

“You look at what Barry Alvarez had done at Wisconsin, there were highs, there were lows. You look at what Kirk Ferentz and Hayden Fry did at Iowa. That is what I feel like the University of Minnesota is missing. And I feel like someone has to do that,” Fleck said later. “We came here because we felt like it was our mission, that we were called to it. We’re putting that plan to work. We tell our players all the time, there’s nothing you can’t achieve here. It’s going to take a strong commitment for that to happen.”

A massive game with No. 4 Penn State waits on Saturday. After that, the Golden Gophers visit Iowa on Nov. 16, and host Wisconsin to close the regular season on Nov. 30. Minnesota hasn’t won in Iowa City since 1999, they haven’t beaten Wisconsin in back-to-back years since 1993-94, and they haven’t beaten Iowa and Wisconsin in the same season since 1990.

Minnesota has committed its money, and Fleck has committed his time. To turn the Gophers into a consistent winner like Wisconsin or Iowa, to become the burgundy-and-gold answer to Barry Alvarez and Hayden Fry, Fleck has to go out and beat Wisconsin and Iowa. That work starts now.

Last edited:

The stars are aligned with the full support of the AD, the Prez, and the BOR in Minnesota.

PJ Fleck is staying in Minnesota for the long haul. Zach Barnett of Football Scoops thinks so.

He is fully committed to establishing a winning culture and a winning legacy. Good times lie ahead for Gopher fans!

Lead by the "Empire Class" with Carter Coughlin, Kamal Martin, Tyler Johnson, Thomas Barber, Antoine Winfield, and others and including PJ Fleck's first two full recruiting classes - the Gophers sneakily won 20 games in less than 3 years under PJ Fleck.

Jerry Kill and Tracy Claeys deserve credit for laying the foundation. This program is not a complete rebuild. The Gophers won the Holiday Bowl in December 2016 and went 9-4 before Claeys was replaced by Fleck.

2017 12G 05W 07L
2018 13G 07W 06L
2019 08G 08W 00L
Total 33G 20W 13L

https://footballscoop.com/news/with-his-new-extension-pj-fleck-wants-to-become-minnesotas-barry-alvarez/

One of my favorite pieces I wrote last year was this, examining why Wisconsin and Iowa have built successful cultures that have endured over decades while the third leg of their 3-way rivalry — Minnesota — has not. I could spend a lot of words explaining the differences between Minnesota and its two rivals, or I could just re-print this chart, accurate to Oct. 3 of last year.

Fleck’s explanation boiled down to one word, a word that he says with annoying frequency: culture.

The Gophers were preparing to play Iowa that week, and Fleck said the reason Iowa and Wisconsin consistently won eight, nine, and 10 games a year was because those programs took the time to establish cultures, while Minnesota constantly changed its culture every few years, all the while falling more and more behind with every coaching change. Iowa has employed two head coaches since 1979 (Hayden Fry, Kirk Ferentz) while Wisconsin was led by Barry Alvarez from 1990 through 2005, and then by Alvarez’s hand-picked successors thereafter.

It’s no wonder, Fleck argued, that Iowa and Wisconsin won like they did, and Minnesota wouldn’t match them until they found their own Hayden Fry, their own Barry Alvarez and stuck with him. And, oh by the way, wouldn’t it be great if Minnesota’s answer was standing right in front of you right now?

“When I got here, we laid out the whole plan. Year 1, Year 2, Year 3, Year 4, Year 5, Year 6, Year 7, Year 8, the whole thing,” Fleck said. “I said, ‘This is what it looks like. If you don’t like this, please do not hire me. This is the way I know how to do it from the people who raised me and my experience as a head coach.”

Fleck was 8-8 at the time he said those words, and 2-8 in Big Ten play. The Gophers lost to Iowa that Saturday — their fourth straight in the series, sixth in the last seven, ninth in the last 12, 14th of the last 18, 19th of the last 26, and 26th of the last 37. Minnesota lost to Ohio State the Saturday after that, and then to Nebraska the Saturday after that.

Heading into their Oct. 26 game with Indiana last season, Minnesota stood at 8-11 under Fleck and 2-11 in Big Ten play.

Since then, though, Minnesota is 12-2. They’re 8-2 in the Big Ten (bested only by Ohio State and Penn State) and winners of 10 straight overall. Included in that winning streak is a 37-15 victory at Wisconsin, snapping a 14-game losing skid to the hated Badgers.

That brought us to Wednesday, when Minnesota announced a seven-year extension (https://footballscoop.com/news/pj-fleck-agrees-7-year-extension-minnesota/) to keep Fleck under contract through 2026.

Wisconsin didn’t get to be Wisconsin by firing Barry Alvarez at the first sign of trouble, or the second, or the third — Alvarez went 11-22 in his first three seasons, before going 10-1-1 in Year 4. But that’s just one side of the equation, though. The other is that Alvarez didn’t leave at the first sign of success, either.

Fleck paid lip service to that last October, and on Wednesday he followed through with his signature.

“That cultural sustainability that we talked about when we first got here, that’s really important,” Fleck said Wednesday (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl7Xtp5WRYo). “That’s how the Iowas have become the Iowas and the Wisconsins have become the Wisconsins.”

“You look at what Barry Alvarez had done at Wisconsin, there were highs, there were lows. You look at what Kirk Ferentz and Hayden Fry did at Iowa. That is what I feel like the University of Minnesota is missing. And I feel like someone has to do that,” Fleck said later. “We came here because we felt like it was our mission, that we were called to it. We’re putting that plan to work. We tell our players all the time, there’s nothing you can’t achieve here. It’s going to take a strong commitment for that to happen.”

A massive game with No. 4 Penn State waits on Saturday. After that, the Golden Gophers visit Iowa on Nov. 16, and host Wisconsin to close the regular season on Nov. 30. Minnesota hasn’t won in Iowa City since 1999, they haven’t beaten Wisconsin in back-to-back years since 1993-94, and they haven’t beaten Iowa and Wisconsin in the same season since 1990.

Minnesota has committed its money, and Fleck has committed his time. To turn the Gophers into a consistent winner like Wisconsin or Iowa, to become the burgundy-and-gold answer to Barry Alvarez and Hayden Fry, Fleck has to go out and beat Wisconsin and Iowa. That work starts now.

Tough to argue against any of this but at least part of Nebraska's problems are the revolving door of coaches they have had the last several years. They are confused why they aren't dominating like they did back in the 1970's and 1980's - they will cite huge support by their fan base and tremendous facilities etc but establishing a culture and continuity -with the right coach- really is a big deal. I am not sure if Scott Frost is the right guy down there but they should let him see if he can get it done. Moreover, a big part of their problem is many other teams have narrowed the gap since those days and today almost any team can beat another on any given day. Back in those days a lot of games were won before the game was even played...

I would be happy if he could do for us what Barry did at Wisconsin.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

As soon as they announced his extension, I told my wife, "This is it, Fleck is going to be our Alvarez." I just hope that the ceiling is higher for MN than Barry could ever pull off at WI.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I would be happy if he could do for us what Barry did at Wisconsin.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

That would only be 3-4 Rose Bowl wins, 80,000 seat sell outs and domination over a rival. Fleck was so right about creating a culture. All the best coaches start with that and win or lose in the beginning, it pays off . In his case he picked character. That resulted in selling exactly what you really are. That resulted in smart, hard working coaches and players that really limit mistakes and stay together. To make it even better he has a tremendous eye for talent under the radar but with big upside. He knows how to get the most out his players. He is believable. I have screamed forever about creating a culture and identity in football and hoops and Fleck did it day one in football.

A lot of us have assumed Fleck is a ladder climber that will eventually leave for a big time job, but it’s beginning to look like that might not be the case. This very well could be his “dream job,” for all of the reasons he’s stated over the past few years. Having said that, the administration needs to continue to keep their end of the bargain and provide him with the resources he needs to compete.

As soon as they announced his extension, I told my wife, "This is it, Fleck is going to be our Alvarez." I just hope that the ceiling is higher for MN than Barry could ever pull off at WI.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

PJ Fleck's ceiling is higher - National Titles!

Some people thought that the Gophers retrogressed from 9-4 under Tracy Claeys when they finish 5-7 in Fleck's "Year 0". Then, many thought the sky was falling after last season's four straight Big Ten loses. After the Illinois game, with Rossi as the new Defensive Coordinator things started clicking. The Gophers won 2 of the 3 remaining Big Ten games games, and then they beat Georgia Tech in the Quick Lane Bowl.

Many pundits questioned the Gophers squeaking by the first four games this season. "They are 8-0, but they aren't good." "They haven't played anybody". "They are the worst undefeated team in the nation" is the current lament. The prove of the pudding is coming fairly quickly tomorrow.

One thing about the Gophers' favorable schedule - It helped the team gel together, especially the Offensive Line critical to launching their brand of RPO Offense. They were learning how to win and play as a unit. They progressively got better each game. Team Defense improved over last season too.

How good this current Gophers team is will be answered in just a few hours!

Go Gophers! :cheer::clap::cheer::clap::cheer::clap::cheer::clap::cheer::clap::cheer::clap::cheer:

Last edited:

Fleck is 10-0 including last year's trophy's, the Axe and Ga. Tech bowl game. That's hard to argue against, especially considering he turned W. Michigan around to 12 - 0 or so (memory fails).

My ideal world PJ coaches the football team for the next 20-30 years, establishing a culture of success and national titles, then retires from coaching and becomes the AD until he is done working entirely.by then we'll have at least 40 years of influence from PJ and our athletics would look very different!

Fleck is 10-0 including last year's trophy's, the Axe and Ga. Tech bowl game. That's hard to argue against, especially considering he turned W. Michigan around to 12 - 0 or so (memory fails).

They went 13-0 through the MAC championship, and then lost to Wisconsin in the Cotton Bowl.

I hope so!

Thing is: Wisconsin is built up now, they expect wins every year, Iowa has been built up for a while, they expect wins ... then you've got Brohm at Purdue, trying to get more wins, Frost at Nebraska trying to get more wins, even Fitz at NW is trying to build a consistent winner, and holy smokes has Lovie maybe, finally turned a corner in Champaign?

There's just not enough wins to go 'round.

That means, someone is gonna have to drop, for us to pop up.

And I'm just fine with that.

The thing is - we want all the Big Ten West teams to be better and stronger. Someone has to step up and challenge East dominance. The Gophers could very well be the team under Fleck that can win Big Ten titles periodically.

That will be every Gopher fan's dream.

2017 12G 05W 07L
2018 13G 07W 06L
2019 08G 08W 00L
Total 33G 20W 13L

Many thanks for this!

My ideal world PJ coaches the football team for the next 20-30 years, establishing a culture of success and national titles, then retires from coaching and becomes the AD until he is done working entirely.by then we'll have at least 40 years of influence from PJ and our athletics would look very different!

He will be replaced by a former assistant named Tanner Morgan.

A lot of us have assumed Fleck is a ladder climber that will eventually leave for a big time job, but it’s beginning to look like that might not be the case. This very well could be his “dream job,” for all of the reasons he’s stated over the past few years. Having said that, the administration needs to continue to keep their end of the bargain and provide him with the resources he needs to compete.

I am hopeful that maybe the Lou Holtz heartache can finally be let go of by the fanbase. 30+ years of living in constant fear of a coach ripping your heart out again and leaving the second he wins at all.

Treat Fleck and his coaches fairly. Give them the resources they need to compete in the Big Ten. Do that and I don't think we will need to hire a new football coach for a long long time.

I am so glad Fleck signed the extension when he did because if he had not we would be hearing nothing but speculation from the media about where he was headed next year.

He will be replaced by a former assistant named Tanner Morgan.

This has more truth to it than we may think now. I was thinking the same thing this morning - who could be a former player that comes home to coach for the forseeable future post Fleck, and Morgan was the name. He is incredibly smart, plays the QB position as well as anyone I've seen though not as talented physically, has the "intangibles" that Fleck speaks of. I see him in and out of the NFL pretty quickly as low 2nd string / practice squad QB who ends up in coaching same as Fleck did.

Top Bottom