Gophers coach P.J. Fleck reacts to U’s College Football Playoff ranking

PitinoFan

Banned
Reaction score
Gophers coach P.J. Fleck said inclusion in the College Football Playoff selection committee’s first rankings of the season was nice for a couple of reasons.

“This is what you want from your football team: you want national recognition, you want to find a way to be on the College Football Playoff TV show,” Fleck said Tuesday night on ESPN Radio.

But moments earlier the Gophers found themselves at No. 17, three spots below their rank in the Associated Press and coaches polls. Meanwhile, Penn State, the Gophers foe at 11 a.m. Saturday at TCF Bank Stadium, moved up to fourth in the CFP, from fifth in the AP poll.

The Gophers, a seven-point underdog against the Nittany Lions, were lower than the media and coaches’ votes because their résumé doesn’t include a nonconference win against a Power Five school and their Big Ten opponents are a combined 17-28.

“Penn State went up; we went down,” Fleck noted. “We’ll talk about that with our team at some point.”

That seems like its being stowed away as bulletin board material, a move Fleck has done before, but with a prove-it component.

“If you want to be able to move up, you’ve got to prove you got to move up,” Fleck said.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/11/...eacts-to-us-college-football-playoff-ranking/

Doesn't really matter. There's more than enough opportunity to be recognized by the CFP, Big Ten, and major bowls by taking care of business.

Correct. I could care less we were 17th. It will be proven right by being blown out. If we play them even, we may just move up. If we win, we'll sky rocket past all those 2 loss teams.

I think the point being made is that it sounds like PJ is going to use it to motivate the team, as he should.

With so many 2 loss teams in front of us, will the CFP people move us UP if we lose? I mean, I don't get why losing is considered a good thing? I mean, sure, doesn't matter. Even with a loss to PSU, as long as we follow that up with 3 straight wins we'll get another shot for that HUGE marquee win in the Conf Title game, either in a rematch vs PSU or vs #1 OSU.

I'm confident we will give PSU their toughest game yet.

17 - 13 = 3 ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beautiful sounds like he’ll use that as bulletin board material. I know i certainly would have a chip on my shoulder if i was a player or coach!

With so many 2 loss teams in front of us, will the CFP people move us UP if we lose? I mean, I don't get why losing is considered a good thing? I mean, sure, doesn't matter. Even with a loss to PSU, as long as we follow that up with 3 straight wins we'll get another shot for that HUGE marquee win in the Conf Title game, either in a rematch vs PSU or vs #1 OSU.

I'm confident we will give PSU their toughest game yet.

This is I dislike about rankings. If we lose by one point on the last play of the game and PSU had 13 guys on the field for the last play, we’d drop.

The CFB Playoff poll seems to be the best of all of them.

Top Bottom