Reusse: Gophers are latest targets of the 'Prove It' sect of Minnesota fans

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Pat:

We have three sects of ardent sports followers in Minnesota. There are the reasonable and objective people who take the long view. I am a proud member of this group, although we now have fallen to roughly 2.65 percent of the Minnesota sports base, the same percentage as was obtained by the Grassroots Party's ticket of Chris Wright-Judith Schwartzbacker in our 2018 gubernatorial election.

The largest sect remains the traditionalists — "true fans," they call themselves — with a belief that most defeats are caused by poor officiating intentionally directed toward Minnesota teams, or bad breaks, or a momentary lapse in strategizing.

This group now makes up an estimated 53.8 percent, the same majority as winner Tim Walz in the 2018 gubernatorial election, and it has had Sid Hartman as its spiritual leader for 75 years.

This is not quite Tammany Hall (1789-1967) in New York, but Sid's reign is both impressive and ongoing.

The third group has now grown to 42.4% (by coincidence, Jeff Johnson's runner-up showing in 2018) and is having a spectacular run in recent months. This is the Prove-It-To-Me sect, with the mantra, "They haven't played anybody."

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...he-prove-it-sect-of-minnesota-fans/564577882/

Go Gophers!!

Pat is becoming more and more disingenuous as he ages.

Pat, you aren't 'objective'.

When media changed, in the advent of the digital age, you took the easy way out and became a troll. You're rolling into retirement as a troll.

Which is a shame, because you're a talented writer.

Why does the Trib let good space go to waste with such a lousy writer?

Here is a column headline written by a guy who claims to be a Reasonable objective person who takes the long view. It was written part way into Fleck’s very first season at MN in 2017.

d684ab038da9b611091db9d6f29f3fa3.jpg

Don't forget - he also named PJ Fleck as his "Turkey of the Year" last year. Then the Gophers ripped off 10 wins in a row!!!
He is part of the problem - not the solution - around here.

If the Gophers come up short this Saturday I am sure he will gleefully attack the program and Fleck.

I think Pat is opinionated, and often objective. I think this site is mainly the “true fans” group and simply don’t like what he has to say. Just read this forum for evidence. We literally have people on here every single day that require “true fans” to say, think, and act a certain way —- and they think they are objective. smh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gubernatorial politics are not a great metaphor for sports fandom. Sorry Pat.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

per Pat:

We have three sects of ardent sports followers in Minnesota. There are the reasonable and objective people who take the long view. I am a proud member of this group, although we now have fallen to roughly 2.65 percent of the Minnesota sports base, the same percentage as was obtained by the Grassroots Party's ticket of Chris Wright-Judith Schwartzbacker in our 2018 gubernatorial election.

The largest sect remains the traditionalists — "true fans," they call themselves — with a belief that most defeats are caused by poor officiating intentionally directed toward Minnesota teams, or bad breaks, or a momentary lapse in strategizing.

This group now makes up an estimated 53.8 percent, the same majority as winner Tim Walz in the 2018 gubernatorial election, and it has had Sid Hartman as its spiritual leader for 75 years.

This is not quite Tammany Hall (1789-1967) in New York, but Sid's reign is both impressive and ongoing.

The third group has now grown to 42.4% (by coincidence, Jeff Johnson's runner-up showing in 2018) and is having a spectacular run in recent months. This is the Prove-It-To-Me sect, with the mantra, "They haven't played anybody."

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...he-prove-it-sect-of-minnesota-fans/564577882/

Go Gophers!!

The Bold part is the part where I threw up in my mouth a little.

Reusse is the founding member of the "Gophers will never be any good" club.

I also think his tongue in cheek way of making fun of Gopher fans is disgusting! 53.8% of the "True" fans coming up with "lame" excuses for why their team lost? Sorry Pat, that fan base is in New Orleans! They even got the NFL to make a rule change.

True Gopher fans are the fans on this board. Always supporting their team through good and bad. Not making lame excuses for why we may of come up short, but admitting when we are outclassed for the most part.

I don't expect that we will beat Penn State, I'm hopeful that we beat Penn State because this team, this year can play with anyone if they play good solid football on that given day. And Pat's Turkey of the Year is the kind of coach who can prepare his team to have a chance to do just that, "Play their Best"!

So Pat can take his negative opinion and his bizarre references to liberal off-stream politics and move to Hell or Iowa whichever is more convenient!

Go Gophers!

I think Pat is opinionated, and often objective. I think this site is mainly the “true fans” group and simply don’t like what he has to say. Just read this forum for evidence. We literally have people on here every single day that require “true fans” to say, think, and act a certain way —- and they think they are objective. smh

Pat is a troll. A slightly better troll than you.

Pat Reusse trolling a certain segment of the posters at this board is easy as walking around the State Fair on the opening Saturday and bumping into someone. He barely has to try. That said, he’s absolutely a fan. However, apart from being a true blue cynic, he’s old enough to have vivid memories of when the Gophers were a national power and really mattered in college football at home and further afield. He’s never been able to suffer mediocrity disguised as progress or success and there have been too many false dawns. My only objection to the article is he’s more at home in the “prove it to me” group or at least occupies both that zone and the objective longview segment.

If you clicked on the link, Pat did his job.

End of story.

Pat Reusse trolling a certain segment of the posters at this board is easy as walking around the State Fair on the opening Saturday and bumping into someone. He barely has to try. That said, he’s absolutely a fan. However, apart from being a true blue cynic, he’s old enough to have vivid memories of when the Gophers were a national power and really mattered in college football at home and further afield. He’s never been able to suffer mediocrity disguised as progress or success and there have been too many false dawns. My only objection to the article is he’s more at home in the “prove it to me” group or at least occupies both that zone and the objective longview segment.

The "objective longview" segment, of course, doesn't exist and never has. Him saying that, and then pretending that he belongs to it, just another part of the troll job. Mainly in the sense of calling out the other two segments for not being objective and being reactionary.

Pat is as opportunistic and knee-jerk as anyone. And of course he is, that's how he gets the most clicks.

Pat is a troll. A slightly better troll than you.

The exact response I would expect from a “true fan”. Please, go back to bitching about the media coverage of the Gophers. It is talked about on here more than PJ vs Kill.

"There are the reasonable and objective people who take the long view. I am a proud member of this group"

The man who declared Kevin Love a bust after watching his first preseason game. :rolleyes:

The exact response I would expect from a “true fan”. Please, go back to bitching about the media coverage of the Gophers. It is talked about on here more than PJ vs Kill.

You seem concerned, troll.

Don't forget - he also named PJ Fleck as his "Turkey of the Year" last year. Then the Gophers ripped off 10 wins in a row!!!

If the Gophers come up short this Saturday I am sure he will gleefully attack the program and Fleck.

I wonder who the Turkey of the year will be this year?

he maybe was a fan at one time, not anymore. Dont' kid yourself, no one will be rooting harder for Penn St on Saturday than Patrick. He will be almost desperate in his desire for the Nittany Lions to win. PJ Fleck simply cannot succeed. It would be a disaster for Patrick. In fact, I will go on record as stating that PJ Fleck playing in the Big Ten Title game and Rows Bowl will cause Patrick to get back on the sauce.

With the Gophs ripping off 10 straight wins after the TOTY column, my take is that Pat isn't the problem; he isn't just PART of the solution; he may be the ENTIRE solution. Keep writing, dude!

Pat is a burner, not a builder. He has a personal dislike of those who are bigger than he is, try harder, aspire to what is big. Where he is most comfortable is when he sticks to the little guy, the handicapped child, the veteran who lost a leg, etc. He wants to name people to his "Turkey of the Year" award. The man who dies trying to do what is very hard is his natural enemy. "Ha, ha, ha another sucker and big talker failed!! Ha, ha, ha!"

Read the article. It is not a rip of the Gophers but rather a rip on fans of the "prove it" variety. He mentions the great Twins season and that the prove it types diminished the entire season after the playoff early bow out. When he mentions the Gophers the bulk of the commentary deals with the complete turn around between last years games against Illinois, Maryland and Nebraska and this years games. Not a Gopher rip. Reusse likes to give Gopher fans and especially Gopherholers the needle but if the Gophers win on Saturday I am not expecting him to mope. He is a writer who appreciates a good story and a Gopher win is a good story.

Pat is a burner, not a builder. He has a personal dislike of those who are bigger than he is, try harder, aspire to what is big. Where he is most comfortable is when he sticks to the little guy, the handicapped child, the veteran who lost a leg, etc. He wants to name people to his "Turkey of the Year" award. The man who dies trying to do what is very hard is his natural enemy. "Ha, ha, ha another sucker and big talker failed!! Ha, ha, ha!"

Wait, in your metaphor, are the millionaire athletes and coaches that Reusse names the Turkey or the Year the handicapped children and veterans with missing limbs?

FWIW - on his weekly Podcast - Reusse predicted the Gophers will win on Saturday. he stressed that he was not joking - he said he thinks Penn State has a good defense but only an average offense, and he predicts the Gophers to win in a fairly high-scoring game. Reusse then said he thinks the Gophers will lose at Iowa the following week.

And again - the column was a shot at fans who always think the sky is falling. people who see the Gophers at 8-0 and all they can talk about is "they played a weak schedule." Or the fans who dismissed the entire Twins season (2nd best in team history) because they lost to the Yankees in the playoffs.

It was not a shot at the Gophers. The Gopher sports fanbase is without question the most thin-skinned group in the sports universe.

Top Bottom