Phil Steele: Gophers #10 in country in “Strength of Wins”

PitinoFan

Banned
Reaction score
Not bad, considering we haven’t played anyone.

Strength of wins
You get credit for every FBS win of opp you defeat.
1 Ohio St 36
2 Penn St 31
3 LSU 30
4 Oregon, Auburn 26
6 Clemson, Michigan, Memphis 25
9 Georgia 24
10 Minny, Utah, Cincy, Boise 23
14 SMU, Wisconsin 22
16 Alabama, Florida 21
18 Baylor, ND, USC LVille 20

https://twitter.com/philsteele042/status/1191718902818058241?s=21

So, who the **** has Alabama played?!?

If Alabama and Minnesota had started from a completely neutral position as judged by random aliens from another planet solely on their 2019 efforts, they would be ranked roughly evenly.

It looks like win over PSU Saturday propels us to number 1.

Apparently, since Minnesota has played nobody, less than nobody.

Good one. Reminds me of a comedian years ago saying he was negative in the bank account so he couldn't afford something being given away for free.

"I can't afford free!!!"
"Alabama played less than nobody!!"

If Alabama and Minnesota had started from a completely neutral position as judged by random aliens from another planet solely on their 2019 efforts, they would be ranked roughly evenly.

Unless you actually watched both teams play.

Try to curtail your excitement about this list.

Clemson is tied for 6th!

And who have they played?

Does anyone in here feel we have played a tough schedule? Is Purdue our best win?

Look, no one needs to apologize for 8-0. All wins count. We have won in VERY impressive fashion. But why get worked up about folks thinking our schedule has been easy? It has been. That changes come Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, who the **** has Alabama played?!?

They have only beaten 2 teams with winning records I believe? Southern Miss is 5-3, NMSU is 0-8. One of their SEC opponents has a winning record, TAM is 6-3.

So the only difference between UMn and Bama right now, is Bama has been more consistently dominant.

But they are Bama, they have earned the right to play nobodies and still be respected. We haven't yet done that. Soon I hope!!!

Does anyone in here feel we have played a tough schedule? Is Purdue our best win?

Look, no one needs to apologize for 8-0. All wins count. We have won in VERY impressive fashion. But why get worked up about folks thinking our schedule has been easy? It has been. That changes come Saturday.

Illinois is our best win. Illinois has a winning record and they beat Wisconsin and we pummeled them.
SDSU is 7-2 and has dominated all 7 of the teams it has beaten, with only losses to us and NDSU.
Georgia Southern is 5-3 and beat previously undefeated and Top 20 ranked(at the time) App St.

No, we have not played a tough schedule. And we shouldn't be whining about outsiders or Minnesotans making sure to point out the weakness of our schedule.

Illinois is our best win. Illinois has a winning record and they beat Wisconsin and we pummeled them.
SDSU is 7-2 and has dominated all 7 of the teams it has beaten, with only losses to us and NDSU.
Georgia Southern is 5-3 and beat previously undefeated and Top 20 ranked(at the time) App St.

No, we have not played a tough schedule. And we shouldn't be whining about outsiders or Minnesotans making sure to point out the weakness of our schedule.

I agree that we have played the easy part of our schedule and that we shouldn't whine about having that pointed out. What I am going to whine about is other schools who have played the easy part of their schedule not being held to the same standard (Alabama).

Funny how at the beginning of the year @ Fresno State and Nebraska were supposed to be the top games up to this point. I think Nebraska was ranked into the second week.

I agree that we have played the easy part of our schedule and that we shouldn't whine about having that pointed out. What I am going to whine about is other schools who have played the easy part of their schedule not being held to the same standard (Alabama).

It is about respect for Alabama having 25-30 NFL guys on their roster, 4 top 25 NFL 1ST round picks, 4 NFL receivers, one of the top 3 college QB's. Legend for a coach that has done it over and over. Their schedule has been weak but have people watched them play ? Speed everywhere. We have earned our ranking. It is right where i would vote if i had a vote. Now is the chance to move up.

The thing with Alabama and Clemson is they technically have been called out for their schedules. They started the season #1 and #2 and they aren't there anymore according to both the AP poll and the CFP rankings

Time to lose the perpetual burden of grievances and paranoia. That list is meaningless. Some people have a serious case of the Cinderella Syndrome.
What counts is the game on Saturday is against the #4 team in the CFP ranking. If MN wins all the talk of easy schedule etc will go away.
It is the most important game for the program since 2003 vs MI. Embrace the challenge and quit whining.

It is about respect for Alabama having 25-30 NFL guys on their roster, 4 top 25 NFL 1ST round picks, 4 NFL receivers, one of the top 3 college QB's. Legend for a coach that has done it over and over. Their schedule has been weak but have people watched them play ? Speed everywhere. We have earned our ranking. It is right where i would vote if i had a vote. Now is the chance to move up.

Spot on...as I said earlier, after we have put together three or four 10+ win seasons, then we would be in the top ten easily even with this schedule. That actually is applying the "same standard" they are using now to put us 17th and Alabama 3rd.

BTW, isn't the 3rd spot the jinxed spot? I don't think any team ranked 3rd in the first ranking ever has actually made it into the playoff...???

Spot on...as I said earlier, after we have put together three or four 10+ win seasons, then we would be in the top ten easily even with this schedule. That actually is applying the "same standard" they are using now to put us 17th and Alabama 3rd.

BTW, isn't the 3rd spot the jinxed spot? I don't think any team ranked 3rd in the first ranking ever has actually made it into the playoff...???

3rd ranked team in the initial poll has made the playoff, but they've never won it.

The thing with Alabama and Clemson is they technically have been called out for their schedules. They started the season #1 and #2 and they aren't there anymore according to both the AP poll and the CFP rankings

But they also aren't ranked where we would be if we had the same outcomes against their schedules. At some point, your ranking should he based on what has happened on the field this year, not who you are.

But they also aren't ranked where we would be if we had the same outcomes against their schedules. At some point, your ranking should he based on what has happened on the field this year, not who you are.

Maybe? But that will never, NEVER happen, because all sports fans let past experiences bias their opinion. Bama has earned the right to be rated high despite their weak SOS. Minnesota simply has not yet earned that right. Even the B1G as a conference hasn't earned that right yet. Remember how badly Iowa looked when they ran over that easy schedule?

Maybe? But that will never, NEVER happen, because all sports fans let past experiences bias their opinion. Bama has earned the right to be rated high despite their weak SOS. Minnesota simply has not yet earned that right.

Right on. If Minnesota wins 3 of its last four games, loses to Ohio State, and then wins either the Rose or Orange Bowl, then Minnesota likely will get the advantages of the bias of past performance next season. They'll start out well ranked and they'll keep that presumption longer than they would have at any time in recent decades.

Remember how badly Iowa looked when they ran over that easy schedule?

By the 8th game of the season, Iowa had won road games at eventual 10-win Wisconsin and 10-win Northwestern. Not comparable.

Delusional aliens? Maybe, but recent history, well going back a few years now, suggests Bama and Clemson inhabit a league of their own. This year OSU and LSU might be of same caliber, time will tell.

I doubt Steele's methodology: it doesn't consider wins vs. highly ranked teams such as Alabama (see LSU).

Correct me if I’m wrong, but this measurement would give you more credit for beating a Sun Belt team that has 5 wins than beating a B1G team that has 4 wins?

Seems like a poor man’s SOS measurement.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but this measurement would give you more credit for beating a Sun Belt team that has 5 wins than beating a B1G team that has 4 wins?

Seems like a poor man’s SOS measurement.

I don’t consider this to be a SOS measurement at all, since you get ZERO credit for a “good loss.” Winning matters most in this ranking. However, the fact that Alabama has 8 wins, and can’t crack the list is pretty stunning. They truly haven’t beaten anyone. Nobody is saying this is the conclusive metric the CFP should be using.

I don’t consider this to be a SOS measurement at all, since you get ZERO credit for a “good loss.” Winning matters most in this ranking. However, the fact that Alabama has 8 wins, and can’t crack the list is pretty stunning. They truly haven’t beaten anyone. Nobody is saying this is the conclusive metric the CFP should be using.

I think one of the gripes people have with the initial two polls is how much the committee is overvaluing a 'good loss'. As other posters have said, apparently good losses are better than wins. I do not know why people focus on 'good' losses at this point in the season.

Top Bottom