Coyle's response to U fan on Fleck contract: “I didn’t come here to be .500”

This is exactly what I want, as a Gopher football fan.

I love this attitude. I love hearing and seeing just a little bit of swagger. No more loser attitudes!

I like to imagine if it is possible they'd say the opposite:

".500 is fine"

Probably not.

".500 is fine"

Probably not.

No, previous ADs would never have actually said that. But I've always felt that a .500 attitude has been here, in the namby-pamby approach to the football program. "Okay/kind of good is good enough."

I can't picture Maturi saying, "I didn't come here to be .500", like Coyle did. I just can't imagine it. And I can't picture Norwood saying it, either.

Having a U of M administrator/AD actually say something like this feels, to me, like a sign that it just might be the dawn of a completely new day at the U of M..

Last edited:

No, previous ADs would never have actually said that. But I've always felt that a .500 attitude has been here, in the namby-pamby approach to the football program. "Okay/kind of good is good enough."

I can't picture Maturi saying, "I didn't come here to be .500", like Coyle did. I just can't imagine it. And I can't picture Norwood saying it, either.

Having a U of M administrator/AD actually say something like this feels, to me, like a sign that it just might be the dawn of a completely new day at the U of M..

I mean Coyle wouldn't say it either if we were say .. below .500... not wanting to put the team down.

The reason and when they say this stuff has less to do with their actual beliefs and more circumstances.

I mean Coyle wouldn't say it either if we were say .. below .500... not wanting to put the team down.

The reason and when they say this stuff has less to do with their actual beliefs and more circumstances.

I disagree.

You seem to be unimpressed that he said it; I think it's important. I love that he said it.

Agree to disagree.

I disagree.

You seem to be unimpressed that he said it; I think it's important. I love that he said it.

Agree to disagree.

Talk is cheap and it is easy to do now.

Let me know when it might cost him something if he says it.

Gorgeous response finally we got a winner in the AD

EXACTLY. This guy wants to win and it shows. Huge difference from the Apathy and catering to the whiners that has gone on so long at this University. Minnesota is a sleeping giant in the best conference in the land.

MegaTongue would never have said that! Too hard to get out.

Coyle got a lot of flack when he fired Claeys. I was part of the rock throwing crowd. I'm over it. Congrats Mark.

Coyle got a lot of flack when he fired Claeys. I was part of the rock throwing crowd. I'm over it. Congrats Mark.

I don't give him flack for firing Claeys. I give him flack for how he did it.

I've always liked that he hired PJ, I just question his character.

I've been impressed with how quickly and efficiently he gets his man--or woman. Once he decided he wanted Fleck and Whalen, the process went like lightning.

Talk is cheap and it is easy to do now.

Let me know when it might cost him something if he says it.

Must be difficult to grind your axe on the best AD this program has ever had.

".500 is fine"

Probably not.

Well, not that per se, but how often did Maturi talk about the challenges football faces here, the obstacles they have to overcome, etc. True, he never said exactly that, but he also always left an out.

Well, not that per se, but how often did Maturi talk about the challenges football faces here, the obstacles they have to overcome, etc. True, he never said exactly that, but he also always left an out.

I will feel better about the true sincerity of AD Coyle and his more than .500 comment when the football program and both basketball programs all have coaches who have overall Big Ten coaching records over .500. That goal may take a while to achieve.

Do people realize what kind of money all the other Big Ten schools are spending on their football and basketball to try to insure that Minnesota AD Coyle does not achieve his macho statement that he did NOT come here to lead a football and or(I will assume he means hoops too) hoops program that was under.500 in the conference in the highly visible revenue sports.

Believe me, I am anxiously waiting for him to make good on that vow!
Beat the stinking Big Ten Teams, GOPHER!

Last edited:

I don't give him flack for firing Claeys. I give him flack for how he did it.

I've always liked that he hired PJ, I just question his character.
You should be proud that you're going to be one of the last hold outs in GopherHole. Never admitting when you are wrong is probably a useful trait for lawyers to have.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

I'm feeling it too. It's just hard to get over the fact that something feels like it is changing for the better at The U. Maybe it's the decades upon decades of "waiting for the other shoe to drop", but I'm definitely changing my best to learn to accept success. It really doesn't hurt as much as I thought.

Top Bottom