All Things 2019-2020 Other College Basketball Games Thread

Michigan State just lost to the preseason #14 team in the ACC.

At this point, it's safe to assume VT won't finish 14th in the ACC. They've destroyed every mid-major they've played and they also won at Clemson. Amazing, considering how much they lost from last year, including Buzz Williams.

How did Buttmunch (Davison) do? Can't bring myself to look at a badger boxscore.
Agreed that these losses (ours included) reflect a weak conference this year.

I watched the game. Davison was given a flop warning! It was awesome.

Also, Wisconsin looked REALLY slow tonight. We all know they have a slow, methodical offense, but tonight they were going at a snail's pace...

I know there has been a lot of handwringing about elite in-state recruits going elsewhere. Thank God Reuvers and Davison matriculated at Wisconsin.

The Big Ten’s just not in great shape. Lotta mediocre coaches. I think we can comfortably say Painter and Holtmann are top notch guys while Izzo’s a fading all timer but otherwise not great, Bob! Like what happened on the football side, need some new blood.

Might be Maryland’s conference to lose this year despite their coaching issues.

Stanford, behind Tyrell Terry, up 20 on Oklahoma. Another missed recruit.

Michigan State just lost to the preseason #14 team in the ACC.
Langford being out again/still is a big loss for the Spartans. But doesn't it seem like every time Michigan State is given a lofty, early preseason ranking they always go on to disappoint in non-conference games?

Stanford, behind Tyrell Terry, up 20 on Oklahoma. Another missed recruit.

Terry’s been doing his best Trae Young impression. Shooting something like 52% from the field and 45% from 3 on the season. Had 11 rebounds tonight.

Langford being out again/still is a big loss for the Spartans. But doesn't it seem like every time Michigan State is given a lofty, early preseason ranking they always go on to disappoint in non-conference games?

They nearly always underperform in NC play. Part of it is that they get tough games, but they seem to lose most of them. I don't know the exact record, but it is pretty miserable for Izzo vs Duke & UNC.

The issue is that other teams don't get those prime opportunities as often so when the premier team in the league drops those contests, it trickles down.

Nice win for the Spiders over Becky.

I watched the last 10 minutes of the game. That was a thoroughly entertaining loss by Wisconsin and, as a result, Richmond is my new favorite mid-major team.

I thought Richmond's only misstep was when their center helped Davison off the ground after he got knocked down but I'll give him a pass because he probably doesn't know Davison.

I know there has been a lot of handwringing about elite in-state recruits going elsewhere. Thank God Reuvers and Davison matriculated at Wisconsin.

To be fair to Reuvers, he's actually pretty good. As far as Davison, I probably wouldn't like him even if he was on our team. I thought Tyler Wahl looked pretty good when I watched him last night.

To be fair, Tyrell was always going to go to Stanford.

If I had a son that had the opportunity to play basketball at Stanford or the University of Minnesota, I would tell him to go to Stanford. It's bizarre to criticize a coach/recruit as a "miss" for a player making that choice.

Last edited:

Stanford is one of the very few schools in the country, like U of Chicago, etc, where even an undergrad degree from there does make a difference.

Would suggest that the U of M not getting Terry was a miss for us, maybe not a miss for him. Terry, in my judgment, is the type of student athlete that we should look for. We have a very good university, a terrific metropolitan area, and long term opportunities for students like Tyrell Terry.

Stanford is one of the very few schools in the country, like U of Chicago, etc, where even an undergrad degree from there does make a difference.

I think it is more the fact they get top notch people at Stanford than the degree, the people I worked with that graduated from Stanford were top notch to a fault, they were just better than anyone else.

I think it is more the fact they get top notch people at Stanford than the degree, the people I worked with that graduated from Stanford were top notch to a fault, they were just better than anyone else.
Well the sense I meant it in -- though you're absolutely right -- is based off people I've known who have gone to UofChi. There, undergrads have to legit work their butts off to graduate. It's a very strenuous program. At the U here, like any public school I imagine, as long as you are reasonably qualified for the program you're in, you can show up and get a B-. Put in a little work and get a B+ or A-. They just use undergraduate classes to pay the bills (pay professors a salary, so they can be professional researchers).

Is Wisconsin as bad as they looked in the first half or are they just having a bad half, I'd take Minnesota in a heart beat after watching the first half of the New Mexico State game. May not be any more wins but at least Minnesota is fun to watch.

Wisconsin's players are highly experienced and I think they are well coached, so it might indicate a not-so-high ceiling for their talent. We're not world beaters this year either, unfortunately, but I think a better ceiling?

By the transitive powers we should beat DePaul by 50. ??
DePaul outscored cmu by 31 in second half to win by 13 lol I'd rather have them undefeated on road than coming off a loss. I think anyways.

Holy sh*t!!!!!!! Duke just lost AT HOME to Stephen F Austin in OT. EPIC

Holy sh*t!!!!!!! Duke just lost AT HOME to Stephen F Austin in OT. EPIC
Awesome ! This year is playing out early with the most parity i have ever seen. Last year was so heavy at the top with truly elite teams . This year , most of the undefeated teams have had serious issues. On a side note, Hurt had 15 in 22 minutes tonight against a lightning quick team. Jones had 8 turnovers.

Top Bottom