All Things 2019-2020 Other College Basketball Games Thread

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Not sure if people do these threads on here, like they do in the football forum?

Anyway, just wanted to comment on Wisconsin losing to St Mary's last night at the Sanford Pentagon. First, the venue: why the Pentagon, when they now have a much larger and nicer venue? And the floor, yikes. Old, dark looking wood, and like 57 sets of lines on the court. Very distracting.

SMC is a top 25 team, so it was a tough matchup. Seemed pretty partisan crowd in favor of Badgers. SMC pulls it out in OT. Wisconsin had the ball with a chance to win it at the end of regulation, but only managed to get off a crappy shot.

There were also the Duke-Kansas and Kentucky-Mich St games last night, which I didn't watch. Just caught the very end of Duke-Kansas before the CFP rankings reveal.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Yes, that floor at the Pentagon - oof. People on here complain a lot about the new "white" floor at the barn (which I like), but wow it could be a lot worse lol. I watched a good chunk of the Duke-Kansas game. Hurt looked the part - he will be one of best, if not the best shooters on that Duke team. Other than that, it was one of the ugliest college basketball games I've watched in a while. Kansas had 18 TO's in the first half and a total of 28 for the game - and still only lost by 2! Both teams are obviously talented, but you could definitely tell it was opening night.

Yes, that floor at the Pentagon - oof. People on here complain a lot about the new "white" floor at the barn (which I like), but wow it could be a lot worse lol. I watched a good chunk of the Duke-Kansas game. Hurt looked the part - he will be one of best, if not the best shooters on that Duke team. Other than that, it was one of the ugliest college basketball games I've watched in a while. Kansas had 18 TO's in the first half and a total of 28 for the game - and still only lost by 2! Both teams are obviously talented, but you could definitely tell it was opening night.

The one TO I caught right at the end, when the Kansas guy tried to feed it under the hoop, and then Jack White, who had just messed up on the other side of the court, almost lazily just saunters in front of it and was like "oh thank you, I'll take that!".

I had two TVs going (and flipped between games) all night. It was awesome. My thoughts (outside the Champions Classic)...

1) Wisconsin was hurt by not having a single go-to player. And if you haven't seen SMC's Jordan Ford play, set aside time.
2) Virginia Tech (almost unanimously picked to finish last in the ACC) looked surprisingly solid last night against Clemson, and Clemson did not look bad by any means.
3) Nebraska... wow. Blown out in Lincoln by UC Riverside. Yikes.
4) Fun late night game between Utah and Nevada. Utah's PF Timmy Allen dominated the paint last night, but he can't shoot outside 10 ft. The Gophers could struggle against his athleticism.
5) Louisville looks REALLY good.
6) NDSU gave Kansas State all they could handle for 32 minutes last night. Solid mid-major.
7) Best game of the night? Shockingly GT and NC State. Intense back-and-forth second half.

Great first night of hoops.

ESPN was pretty proud to claim last night as "The Best Night in College Basketball" with there 1 vs 2 and 3 vs 4 matchups.

Zeke Nnaji looking very good tonight for AZ, 20 pts, 4 rebs and 2 blocks in debut against Northern Arizona.

Final score in college basketball tonight (not a football game) Virginia 48- Syracuse 34. Wow! That has to be one of the lowest totals in years?

Final score in college basketball tonight (not a football game) Virginia 48- Syracuse 34. Wow! That has to be one of the lowest totals in years?

Last year Virginia Tech beat NC State 47-24. UVA will have to play that way after losing Hunter,Guy, Jerome a year early. Of course they got a slew of ACC titles and a National Title out of the deal. I thought there was a good chance they would miss the tourney this year as they go with 4 new starters. The table is set with the recruiting in this and the next class and even better in the following. Also make good use of that redshirt on big time get Shedrick. That point total for Syracuse tonight is the lowest in the career of hall of fame coach Boeheim.

I'm not a huge Boeheim fan, but I am with him in his post game whine on this one, calling a conference game in early November a "money grab." I think these teams ought to have a few warm-ups before hitting the conference schedule gauntlet. The early start and high level games made for some really horrible basketball this week. Early November is what low majors are for.

Northwestern...Ouch!

Nebraska followed up their loss to UC Riverside with a loss to Southern Utah. Woof. And Purdue loses to Texas.

Yeah B1G will get 5-6 teams this year not 7-8. Already dropped significant games and history tells us the acc challenge will likely not go our way. I’m not saying there’s no chance but it hasn’t started well. Our bottom teams are much worse than last year.

Iowa held DePaul to 53 first half points. Wow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iowa had a really rough one against DePaul. St Mary’s lost a buy game to Winthrop - implications for Wisconsin. Illinois hasn’t convinced anyone that they’ve taken a step forward. Purdue struggled against a Texas team. Rutgers is still questionable. Gophers fell apart in the 2nd half to an Oklahoma team. Michigan has major question marks. Penn state and Indiana are still unknowns. Middle of the big ten is wide, wide open.

Only things I’m fairly certain of (though things can still change!): the NUs will struggle all season long; MSU, OSU, and MD are the class of the B1G.

OSU beats Nova for the first quality win for the B1G.

Purdue looking good at Marquette up 35-18- currently Marquette along with Indiana are two of my least favorite teams...

Holtmann is putting some thing really special at Ohio State. They look great, not surprised.

Purdue looking good at Marquette up 35-18- currently Marquette along with Indiana are two of my least favorite teams...

Yikes. Purdue loses the game and gets outscored 17-40 in the 2nd half.

Northwestern beat Providence last night. Loses to a first year transitioned D1 team, and then beats a Big East team that many feel is good enough to get to the dance. Crazy...

Holtmann is putting some thing really special at Ohio State. They look great, not surprised.

I've had OSU as an easy number 2 in the big 10 ahead of Maryland. I think they will be a top 10 team and a 2 seed at the end of the year. Holtmann is the real deal for sure.

Penn State is systematically dismantling Georgetown. It's hard to tell if Penn State is that good or if Georgetown is that bad.

Fantastic game between Michigan State and Seton Hall. I can only dream of a Minnesota team playing so well.

And wisconsin just fell to a mediocre Richmond team on a neutral court. The badgers are a bottom half B1G team this year but this still signals the weakness of the conference.

And wisconsin just fell to a mediocre Richmond team on a neutral court. The badgers are a bottom half B1G team this year but this still signals the weakness of the conference.

How did Buttmunch (Davison) do? Can't bring myself to look at a badger boxscore.
Agreed that these losses (ours included) reflect a weak conference this year.

Top Bottom