Now that the Gophers are good, the shots are coming from all sides

All i care about is the amazing culture and progress the program has shown under Fleck. Sure the schedule was weak but being 8-0 is a celebration for fans. Now we have a chance to measure ourselves against a reall strong team. Will enjoy finding out.

Umm, yeah our opponent's overall winning percentage is .481.

But it's not like past years where we squeak by the Illini, Hoosiers, Rutgers and Terrapins. We freaking destroyed these teams! Just like Ohio State would!

It may be a soft schedule, but we have handled the soft schedule in a way good teams are supposed too!

Go Gophers!

Who are the negative ones?

All i care about is the amazing culture and progress the program has shown under Fleck. Sure the schedule was weak but being 8-0 is a celebration for fans. Now we have a chance to measure ourselves against a reall strong team. Will enjoy finding out.

The most unhappy college football fans in the nation were the thousands of Iowa, Wisconsin and other fans who were, up to yesterday, scared out of their minds that we would somehow keep PJ Fleck as our coach. He is their worse nightmare and yesterday was a horror movie come true for them. So what else could they do but go Waaa, Waaa, Waaa to the nearest message board and have a good cry about what a bad, bad team we have. Enjoy their obvious frustration and fear.

Next to lakeville, Apple valley, and Rosemount. It also has the best Chinese restaurant in the twin cities imo. Weng’s Kitchen.

There are a lot of really good small, neighborhood based Chinese restaurants throughout the TC. Lived in Brooklyn Park for close to 10 years and there was a great little place close in a small strip mall that we ordered take-out from at least once a month.

Just enjoy. I don't care what kind of team you have and who you have played. To be 8-0 is as good as it gets for any team. The fighting PJ's have set themselves up to do something that Gopher football has never done.(I don't county 50 years ago). Win a Big Ten title.

Their guantlet is coming up starting this week. It will be tough. I think we have a chance though.

First, let me say there has been a lot of positive vibes directed at the Gophers and many in the fan base have turned the corner on Fleck and have been won over.

But that isn't what this thread is about. It is about the absolute cesspool of negativity that appears on Twitter and elsewhere with "experts" that watch 2-4 college football games per year throwing out comments about how the Gophers have beat "absolutely nobody" and suddenly see big ten victories as if they are wins against Farmington's JV team.

The schedule certainly hasn't been loaded but being good doesn't require a great schedule. Good teams sometimes have weaker schedules. Nobody began the year by pulling up the MN schedule and determining the team must not be any good because Alabama, Ohio State, and LSU were missing. But that is where we are now.

I have a close friend that moved out of state several years ago. I have been a season ticket holder since 2004 or so. I can count on one hand how many times we have discussed Gopher football in those 19 years. He has reached out to me about it twice this season. The first time was to let me know the Gophers aren't that good because the schedule is weak. The second time was last night to let me know it was waaaaaay too early to offer Fleck an extension.

It gets tiresome. Anyone who has followed this team closely knows this team has improved greatly, and pretty much any Gopher team from the recent past would be 5-3 or maybe 4-4 right now with the same schedule. But the johnny-come-lately types that don't follow the college game want every win to be over Oregon and the team should go 12-0 every year. All that after the last 50 years this program has endured.

I'm to the point now where I am treating this like what I learned in my early days playing Call of Duty on the xbox 360 back in 2006. I was overwhelmed with all the antisemitism and racist things I was hearing and at first felt like I needed to comment on every bit of it, to clean up xbox live all by myself. It wasn't long and I realized that probably only 5% of it was legit. Most of it was a dumb misplaced cry for attention. So, I quit commenting and peeing against the wind. I sense that is what all this Gopher hate is about. I am relearning to tune it out. The experience is much better this way.

The Gophers haven’t beaten anyone that is any good. Can’t deny that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Umm, yeah our opponent's overall winning percentage is .481.

But it's not like past years where we squeak by the Illini, Hoosiers, Rutgers and Terrapins. We freaking destroyed these teams! Just like Ohio State would!

It may be a soft schedule, but we have handled the soft schedule in a way good teams are supposed too!

Go Gophers!

Yep, and we squeaked by I-AA, a bad Fresno team, GA Southern, Purdue...

I live down here smack dab in between SEC and Big 12 country. My buddies that all graduated from Texas, Texas aTm, LSU, TCU, etc....have thrown me a morsel of hey your 8-0 thats great, if you were in the SEC you would be 4-4.

So, my reply is just yah, you're probably right or we'll see. I am enjoying staying under the radar and just watching this season unfold. I am enjoying the every second of this journey.

This summer I bet my obnoxious Aggie friend that Minnesota would play in the BIG championship game before the Aggies played in the SEC championship game for $1000.

RTB SUM GG

I live down here smack dab in between SEC and Big 12 country. My buddies that all graduated from Texas, Texas aTm, LSU, TCU, etc....have thrown me a morsel of hey your 8-0 thats great, if you were in the SEC you would be 4-4.

So, my reply is just yah, you're probably right or we'll see. I am enjoying staying under the radar and just watching this season unfold. I am enjoying the every second of this journey.

This summer I bet my obnoxious Aggie friend that Minnesota would play in the BIG championship game before the Aggies played in the SEC championship game for $1000.

RTB SUM GG

Drinks on HoustonTXGopher when we face Ohio State in Indy.

RTB SUM GG

I'm in the minority but top to bottom the SEC isn't all the same. The SEC West is far superior to the SEC East.

Stupid is hanging onto the 60's.

No matter. It's over. A new Era is here. Time to win and win alot.

Nobody's "hanging onto" anything. The 7 national titles and 18 Big Ten titles happened, whether you want to pretend they did or not. Acknowledging what happened then doesn't preclude a lot of winning big now and into the future, which is of course what we all want.

Just win. Beat #4/#5 PSU and there's no more questions (unless we get a winner's high and poop the bed after that).
Heck, lose to PSU in a close game (24-21, 17-14, 28-24, etc.) and then win out and there's still no more questions.

Just win.

Why is everyone so obsessed and angered by the negative ****? Shut up and like what you like.

"Wah wah wah someone said they like Frost more than Fleck, have they even watched college football"

I'm in the minority but top to bottom the SEC isn't all the same. The SEC West is far superior to the SEC East.

I agree 100%! I think it will be years and years before Texas aTm is going to compete for an SEC West title. I thought the Gophers would have a fair chance to make a run at the BIG West this year. People down here think Fleck is just a carnival barker. Ill be the first to admit that I was skeptical, but I am 100% behind his culture at this point. I would take Fleck over Tom Hermann or Jimbo Fischer. RTB SUM GG

RTB SUM GG

You should try to double or nothing on it now...

I agree 100%! I think it will be years and years before Texas aTm is going to compete for an SEC West title. I thought the Gophers would have a fair chance to make a run at the BIG West this year. People down here think Fleck is just a carnival barker. Ill be the first to admit that I was skeptical, but I am 100% behind his culture at this point. I would take Fleck over Tom Hermann or Jimbo Fischer. RTB SUM GG

Weren't TA&M and MIZZOU immediately successful when they first switched conferences?

If we beat PSU by 17+ we will be fine.
People will back off.

Otherwise we need to beat Iowa, NW, and WI and earn a bit more respect the long way.

There’s nothing like being dismissed as a home team dog in the biggest game in the last 50+ years. My own modified Herbie speech:

“Great moments are born from great opportunity, and that's what you have here today, boys.

That's what you've earned here today. One game; if we played them ten times, they might win nine. But not this game, not today. Today, we play with them. Today we stay with them, and we shut them down because we can. Today, we are the greatest football team in the nation.

You were born to be football players—every one of you, and you were meant to be here today. This is your time. Their time is done.

It's over. I'm sick and tired of hearing about what a great football team they have at Penn State. Screw 'em. This is your time. Now go out there and take it!"

If we beat PSU by 17+ we will be fine.
People will back off.

Otherwise we need to beat Iowa, NW, and WI and earn a bit more respect the long way.

NW is becoming a must win from the standpoint of it would be seen as pretty big slip to lose to what will probably be a 2-8 team with zero conference wins.

They were! I remember the joke about the Aggies having a better record in the SEC than they did in the BIG 12. They had one great year with Johnny Manziel under center, but they haven't won the SEC West. I think Missouri won the SEC east a couple of times and got blown out by Alabama in the SEC championship games.

I’ve noticed a higher than usual (compared to fans of most other teams) amount of sniping from Penn State fans on the Gopher football Twitter page. That is one cocky fanbase.

Exactly correct.

Winning the West can be our conference championship, and winning the Rose/Outback can be our national championship. Nothing in the slightest wrong with those!

I have no respect for the CFP set up. It is impossible to crown a national champion. For me, winning the BIG championship and playing in the Rose Bowl is the pinnacle. I don't care about some committee or computer figured result that makes up the CFP. If you think your team is that good then call up Alabama and schedule a game, see how it goes.

Stay quiet and win.

There’s nothing to say about the schedule thus far this year - it is what it is, the team can only play the games on the schedule. Not their fault some of the opponents have had “disappointing” years.

After some squeaky games early, the Gophers have been burying the bad opponents - which is what good teams do. So there’s that.

Play the next game. Let the scoreboard speak.

Top Bottom