Now that the Gophers are good, the shots are coming from all sides

Schnauzer

Pretty Sure You are Wrong
Reaction score
First, let me say there has been a lot of positive vibes directed at the Gophers and many in the fan base have turned the corner on Fleck and have been won over.

But that isn't what this thread is about. It is about the absolute cesspool of negativity that appears on Twitter and elsewhere with "experts" that watch 2-4 college football games per year throwing out comments about how the Gophers have beat "absolutely nobody" and suddenly see big ten victories as if they are wins against Farmington's JV team.

The schedule certainly hasn't been loaded but being good doesn't require a great schedule. Good teams sometimes have weaker schedules. Nobody began the year by pulling up the MN schedule and determining the team must not be any good because Alabama, Ohio State, and LSU were missing. But that is where we are now.

I have a close friend that moved out of state several years ago. I have been a season ticket holder since 2004 or so. I can count on one hand how many times we have discussed Gopher football in those 19 years. He has reached out to me about it twice this season. The first time was to let me know the Gophers aren't that good because the schedule is weak. The second time was last night to let me know it was waaaaaay too early to offer Fleck an extension.

It gets tiresome. Anyone who has followed this team closely knows this team has improved greatly, and pretty much any Gopher team from the recent past would be 5-3 or maybe 4-4 right now with the same schedule. But the johnny-come-lately types that don't follow the college game want every win to be over Oregon and the team should go 12-0 every year. All that after the last 50 years this program has endured.

I'm to the point now where I am treating this like what I learned in my early days playing Call of Duty on the xbox 360 back in 2006. I was overwhelmed with all the antisemitism and racist things I was hearing and at first felt like I needed to comment on every bit of it, to clean up xbox live all by myself. It wasn't long and I realized that probably only 5% of it was legit. Most of it was a dumb misplaced cry for attention. So, I quit commenting and peeing against the wind. I sense that is what all this Gopher hate is about. I am relearning to tune it out. The experience is much better this way.

I think there is a valid reason to question the Gopher's resume at this point.

What gets me are the users in this forum who show up to just poop on the team ... like wtf, who has time for that?

First, let me say there has been a lot of positive vibes directed at the Gophers and many in the fan base have turned the corner on Fleck and have been won over.

But that isn't what this thread is about. It is about the absolute cesspool of negativity that appears on Twitter and elsewhere with "experts" that watch 2-4 college football games per year throwing out comments about how the Gophers have beat "absolutely nobody" and suddenly see big ten victories as if they are wins against Farmington's JV team.

The schedule certainly hasn't been loaded but being good doesn't require a great schedule. Good teams sometimes have weaker schedules. Nobody began the year by pulling up the MN schedule and determining the team must not be any good because Alabama, Ohio State, and LSU were missing. But that is where we are now.

I have a close friend that moved out of state several years ago. I have been a season ticket holder since 2004 or so. I can count on one hand how many times we have discussed Gopher football in those 19 years. He has reached out to me about it twice this season. The first time was to let me know the Gophers aren't that good because the schedule is weak. The second time was last night to let me know it was waaaaaay too early to offer Fleck an extension.

It gets tiresome. Anyone who has followed this team closely knows this team has improved greatly, and pretty much any Gopher team from the recent past would be 5-3 or maybe 4-4 right now with the same schedule. But the johnny-come-lately types that don't follow the college game want every win to be over Oregon and the team should go 12-0 every year. All that after the last 50 years this program has endured.

I'm to the point now where I am treating this like what I learned in my early days playing Call of Duty on the xbox 360 back in 2006. I was overwhelmed with all the antisemitism and racist things I was hearing and at first felt like I needed to comment on every bit of it, to clean up xbox live all by myself. It wasn't long and I realized that probably only 5% of it was legit. Most of it was a dumb misplaced cry for attention. So, I quit commenting and peeing against the wind. I sense that is what all this Gopher hate is about. I am relearning to tune it out. The experience is much better this way.

The easiest way to avoid the negativity is to not go looking for it in the first place. But your last part is the key, just remember that there is always going to be the very vocal negative group who will never be happy about anything no matter what the situation is, they just won't. They get their enjoyment from tearing others down and pissing people off. You just have to learn to tune that crap out and not let it affect your ability to enjoy things.

The easiest way to avoid the negativity is to not go looking for it in the first place. But your last part is the key, just remember that there is always going to be the very vocal negative group who will never be happy about anything no matter what the situation is, they just won't. They get their enjoyment from tearing others down and pissing people off. You just have to learn to tune that crap out and not let it affect your ability to enjoy things.
So in other words... don't let the circumstances dictate your behavior. Right?

Yeah, let it roll off your back. As long as we are good it will always be there.

If your point is that only people who follow this team closely actually know how good this team is, and that not very many people who say stuff about CFB follow this team, then your point is correct.

The number of people who follow us closely, who weren't already planning to do so before the start of the season, is probably similar to that number for Wake Forest, at this point in the season.

Last edited:

I've been trying to avoid negative, but sometimes I'm a glutton

I broke down and visited Bisonville, knowing they couldn't resist and it was rather comical. While there was some reasonable posts there were few extreme, my favorite were NDSU fans saying MN hasn't played anyone good, smoke and mirrors, and some still think no way an NDSU recruit would turn down playing for national championships to play for gophers. I've only visited their 2-3 times (don't register) and I remember why.

I broke down and visited Bisonville, knowing they couldn't resist and it was rather comical. While there was some reasonable posts there were few extreme, my favorite were NDSU fans saying MN hasn't played anyone good, smoke and mirrors, and some still think no way an NDSU recruit would turn down playing for national championships to play for gophers. I've only visited their 2-3 times (don't register) and I remember why.

NDSU has a great program, for what it is: a bully in a very depleted minor league. They're geographically stuck, with no realistic way to get an invite from a G5 league.

Now granted, Liberty has set a legal precedent for being allowed to move up as an independent. NDSU could choose to explore that route, if it wanted. It has a league for non-football sports, and so being an independent in football really wouldn't be that bad, especially if they had SDSU with them. I think it's either going to be that lever gets thrown, or they stay where they're at.

In my opinion: at some point, doesn't winning the FCS natty every single year get old?? How many trophies do you need to win, against inferior competition, before you decide you're ready for the next challenge?

Anyone who has followed this team closely knows this team has improved greatly, and pretty much any Gopher team from the recent past would be 5-3 or maybe 4-4 right now with the same schedule.

.... I sense that is what all this Gopher hate is about. I am relearning to tune it out. The experience is much better this way.

Yeah, I am enjoying the fact that we are having a very successful season, not defined by the fact that I think we are in league with OhSt, Bama, LSU (I don’t believe we are). Rather I am enjoying for the reasons you outlined above. Our 5-0 B1G start has wins agains three teams that beat us last year, Nebraska, Maryland, and Illinois (and not by small margins, I might add). We are in the lead for the B1G West title and if we get win that, this season will exceed all my expectations. Anything better is icing on the cake.

The haters can go screw themselves, because I don’t need to beat Bama to enjoy this season, I already am.

The haters can go screw themselves, because I don’t need to beat Bama to enjoy this season, I already am.

Exactly correct.

Winning the West can be our conference championship, and winning the Rose/Outback can be our national championship. Nothing in the slightest wrong with those!

+1.

Yeah, I am enjoying the fact that we are having a very successful season, not defined by the fact that I think we are in league with OhSt, Bama, LSU (I don’t believe we are). Rather I am enjoying for the reasons you outlined above. Our 5-0 B1G start has wins agains three teams that beat us last year, Nebraska, Maryland, and Illinois (and not by small margins, I might add). We are in the lead for the B1G West title and if we get win that, this season will exceed all my expectations. Anything better is icing on the cake.

100%. Realistically I want a 2-2 finish, 1-3 it's eek, but still fun. 0-4 would be sour taste

Anything over 1-3 though is house money at this point. Keep it going, keep building

NDSU has a great program, for what it is: a bully in a very depleted minor league. They're geographically stuck, with no realistic way to get an invite from a G5 league.

Now granted, Liberty has set a legal precedent for being allowed to move up as an independent. NDSU could choose to explore that route, if it wanted. It has a league for non-football sports, and so being an independent in football really wouldn't be that bad, especially if they had SDSU with them. I think it's either going to be that lever gets thrown, or they stay where they're at.

In my opinion: at some point, doesn't winning the FCS natty every single year get old?? How many trophies do you need to win, against inferior competition, before you decide you're ready for the next challenge?

Agree. I'd probably root for them if their fan base wasn't so obnoxious. I let them get under my skin more than I should though, it feels like every article comment section gets flooded by NDSU trolls seeking validation

It reminds me of Snyder's first run with K-State. In the mid 90's through early 2000's K-State was putting up gaudy records but nobody ever gave them the benefit of the doubt. Sure they got a few high rankings from their records but heading into big games against Nebraska and OU the pundits and internet message boards (yes, they did exist back in that time) gave them no chance.

That fan base is delusional and weird. Like Penn State weird. I know quite a few people including some very good friends who are Bison fans and the way they organize their lives around a minor league football team (they HATE it when you say that - one of my best friends called me in a drunken rant to chew me out for that - he later apologized) is sad and bizarre.

100%. Realistically I want a 2-2 finish, 1-3 it's eek, but still fun. 0-4 would be sour taste

Anything over 1-3 though is house money at this point. Keep it going, keep building

Would like to win the West, which we control and can accomplish.

Would like to win the West, which we control and can accomplish.

That is my goal as well. I'll be disappointed if we fall short, but still consider the season a success. If they win B1GW but rose bowl is out of picture, I'll be in Indy

I don't know, man. There is no doubt that we are a vastly improved team, but I have my doubts as well. Will we show up on Saturday? How will we perform under the pressure of being either 9-0 and traveling to Iowa City, or being 8-1 when the doubt might start to creep into our players' minds.

There are a LOT of questions remaining about this team. We have MORE than taken care of business and won the games on our schedule, but we haven't beaten any teams that were better than us. That's the true mark.

I think there is a valid reason to question the Gopher's resume at this point.

What gets me are the users in this forum who show up to just poop on the team ... like wtf, who has time for that?

I agree. No question Gophs are on a seldom seen roll for FB, but we also have to understand that Gophs opponents this year have a combined win percentage of .481, which ranks 98th nationally. No question Gophs are good, I honestly am not sure just how good this team is...the next four games will tell me.

nm

Last edited:

I agree. No question Gophs are on a seldom seen roll for FB, but we also have to understand that Gophs opponents this year have a combined win percentage of .481, which ranks 98th nationally. No question Gophs are good, I honestly am not sure just how good this team is...the next four games will tell me.

True, but its fun to hear their name come up in conversations about something good and not about a scandal or criminal charges.

I don't know, man. There is no doubt that we are a vastly improved team, but I have my doubts as well. Will we show up on Saturday? How will we perform under the pressure of being either 9-0 and traveling to Iowa City, or being 8-1 when the doubt might start to creep into our players' minds.

There are a LOT of questions remaining about this team. We have MORE than taken care of business and won the games on our schedule, but we haven't beaten any teams that were better than us. That's the true mark.

Yeah a lot of what folks react negatively too ... isn't entirely unfounded.

We're getting there, but it's not unreasonable to think we're NOT there.

Next to lakeville, Apple valley, and Rosemount. It also has the best Chinese restaurant in the twin cities imo. Weng’s Kitchen.

Haha, I know where it is.

I just consider Lakeville/Farmington to be the same thing as Rochester.

Yeah a lot of what folks react negatively too ... isn't entirely unfounded.

We're getting there, but it's not unreasonable to think we're NOT there.

Negativity is always unfounded. It’s a choice, not based on fact.

I'm really enjoying the season but I'm keenly aware about who Gophs have beaten so far.

I think many on GH agree that all three of the losses you mention from last year were games Gophs probably would have won (or 2 of 3), if not for the Robb Smith experiment. Those three teams won 13 games and had a winning % of .36 combined. Gophs five B1G wins this year were against teams with 17 wins and a winning % of .38 combined.

I have regularly posted from the start of the 2016 season that 2016 and 2019 looked to be the most favorable schedules Gophs would have in the near future to win 9+. 2016 had Penn St and Nebby games as ones Gophs were in position to win but fell short. Perfection so far this year from Fleck & Co, with the chance of a great year becoming a very special year and a changing expectation going forward.

Last edited:

Umm, just enjoy the ride.

Next to lakeville, Apple valley, and Rosemount. It also has the best Chinese restaurant in the twin cities imo. Weng’s Kitchen.

Better than David Fong's?

Top Bottom