Any Confirmation on Gophers taking the WARM sideline?

PJ stated they’ve been doing studies at the stadium to find out if there is any statistical evidence to changing. I’m sure we will never know the results of their findings though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will he be providing any charts of their findings?

It's a known fact that folks who sit on the visiting side often have brainpan of a stagecoach tilter...

Its kind of funny reading PSU fans complaining about cold cold Minnesota - Predicted highs for Saturday - MPLS 41 degrees A town near Happy Valley 40 degrees!!!

From 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM, does it really make a difference in the position of the sun?

I believe it sure does.
I think there is shade over the home team during that time frame and the other team basks in the warm glow of the autumn sun.

Pardon my ignorance, but why do they need to let season ticket holders know?

So they don't whine as much. They're "entitled" don't you know. P.S. - I'm one of them and I could care less which side the Gophers are on.

I just heard this from the local Palm Reader!

Gophers will be on the WINNING side!

Go Gophers!

Is that so wrong?

If it would truly provide OUR team an advantage to switch sides then yes- it’s a bit selfish and self-important to put your desires above what’s good for the team.

If it would truly provide OUR team an advantage to switch sides then yes- it’s a bit selfish and self-important to put your desires above what’s good for the team.

Does anyone really think there is a serious advantage that would matter in a game based on what sideline you're on?

Does anyone really think there is a serious advantage that would matter in a game based on what sideline you're on?

Gophers use the side with the heating Coyles turned on... The other side is turned off...

Under very specific conditions, yes, I do. If the sun is out, and the temps are in the 20's or lower, and it is an 11:00 AM game in November... yes. But if it is cloudy, or the temps are in the 30's or above, or it is a 2:30 kickoff or later, there is no advantage to the north sideline. For this week, it is going to be cloudy and in the 30's/40's for the game so it checks off two things that make this a non-issue in my book. Yet here we are, 3 pages into the discussion.

To be Minnesota nice, both teams should be on the same sideline. Like the old days at Met Stadium.

Prove there is an advantage and then I'll be OK with it.

Apparently had the game been in Prime Time the Gophers were going to switch sidelines.

Apparently had the game been in Prime Time the Gophers were going to switch sidelines.

giphy.gif

Prove there is an advantage and then I'll be OK with it.

Go watch our game vs Northwestern last year.
Warm side guys were in short-sleeves. (Northwestern)
Gophers side cold.
There was a possible turnover deflected of Bateman's cold hands and another incompletion that would have been a first down. Very obvious it was cold related because he had good hands in all of his other games.

Huge different and probably the #1 reason our winning streak isn't currently at 12 games.

Go watch our game vs Northwestern last year.
Warm side guys were in short-sleeves. (Northwestern)
Gophers side cold.
There was a possible turnover deflected of Bateman's cold hands and another incompletion that would have been a first down. Very obvious it was cold related because he had good hands in all of his other games.

Huge different and probably the #1 reason our winning streak isn't currently at 12 games.

LOL. Yep bateman didn't drop any other balls last season, and not one this season during warm games.

I'm not disputing the north side is warmer. I'm saying prove there is an advantage. If anything it makes the gophers look like pu$$ies that can't handle MN weather if they switch. I could easily argue that a detriment bigger than any advantage. Instantly give the other coach the ability to convince his team we are soft. :D

LOL. Yep bateman didn't drop any other balls last season, and not one this season during warm games.

I'm not disputing the north side is warmer. I'm saying prove there is an advantage. If anything it makes the gophers look like pu$$ies that can't handle MN weather if they switch. I could easily argue that a detriment bigger than any advantage. Instantly give the other coach the ability to convince his team we are soft. :D

Scott Frost has already said we are a tougher team because we didn't wear hoodies. If we did switch sides we would look even tougher as there would be so many guys on our sideline in short sleeves, no coat, etc.

Scott Frost has already said we are a tougher team because we didn't wear hoodies. If we did switch sides we would look even tougher as there would be so many guys on our sideline in short sleeves, no coat, etc.

Nope, would be easy bulletin board material all week. "They are such pu$$ies they switched sidelines, they can't handle the weather" etc etc. Obviously a huge detriment to the team.

Still waiting to hear these clear and obvious advantages to being a little warmer.

I have always figured one big reason the Gophers chose the shady south sideline in the first place was because while the north sideline would be warmer due to the direct sunlight, everyone on that sideline faces directly into that sunlight. The desire and need to not get distracted or impaired by the glare was even more important when TCF Bank Stadium opened because back at the time the Big Ten's TV contracts were set up in a way that meant the majority of our home games had 11:00 AM kickoffs. The current TV deals allow for more late afternoon and evening kickoffs so being on the shady side isn't as important as once was, but that's where the suites, club seats, coaches booths, and easier access to our locker room tunnel are. For that matter, a switch of sidelines would also mean the visiting fans would need to be relocated and that the visiting team would always access their locker room tunnel by crossing near our sideline set up. I'm not in favor of the change in general, but never do it during a season in progress.

Nope, would be easy bulletin board material all week. "They are such pu$$ies they switched sidelines, they can't handle the weather" etc etc. Obviously a huge detriment to the team.

Still waiting to hear these clear and obvious advantages to being a little warmer.

Can you prove that there are NOT obvious advantages to being a warmer? I've played the game. There is a reason why there are heated benches, mittens, face covering warm weather masks, overcoats, and hand warmers made for players - it is better to be comfortably warm than uncomfortably cold when playing football. Otherwise there would be no need for all the gear the players wear in cold weather. Prove that it isn't better to be comfortably warm than it is uncomfortably cold, and prove that it isn't warmer in the sun than it is in the shade. Hint: it is warmer in the sun.

I say all this as a ticket holder on the home side, which I love. In general, there are as many or more games during the year where the north side is uncomfortably hot in the sun as there are games where it is more comfortable in the sun, late season.

I totally get why they put this provision in and in rare instances (a sunny but frigid day in November with an 11:00 AM kickoff) where it is better, I'm glad the team has the option to move sidelines.

It didn't take the Vikings long to make the exact same decision, because they didn't just have cold games in November. The NFL played on into January. I say the Vikings made the right decision as well.

Can you prove that there are NOT obvious advantages to being a warmer? I've played the game. There is a reason why there are heated benches, mittens, face covering warm weather masks, overcoats, and hand warmers made for players - it is better to be comfortably warm than uncomfortably cold when playing football. Otherwise there would be no need for all the gear the players wear in cold weather. Prove that it isn't better to be comfortably warm than it is uncomfortably cold, and prove that it isn't warmer in the sun than it is in the shade. Hint: it is warmer in the sun.

I say all this as a ticket holder on the home side, which I love. In general, there are as many or more games during the year where the north side is uncomfortably hot in the sun as there are games where it is more comfortable in the sun, late season.

I totally get why they put this provision in and in rare instances (a sunny but frigid day in November with an 11:00 AM kickoff) where it is better, I'm glad the team has the option to move sidelines.

It didn't take the Vikings long to make the exact same decision, because they didn't just have cold games in November. The NFL played on into January. I say the Vikings made the right decision as well.

Someone made the claim there were obvious advantages, I'm claiming there aren't. How do you prove a zero? Why can't you list the obvious advantages if they are so obvious?

I've played the game too (not at the college level though so I didn't get all the fancy stuff you describe). All the amenities you describe sure makes a good argument for my case that which sideline you are on doesn't matter. If you are cold put the parka on and sit on the heated bench. No excuse to be uncomfortably cold. Also I already said it was warmer in the sun (post 48), try to keep up.

And to top it off I've made a pretty good argument about a disadvantage, looking like a pu$$y. So far that sure seems to outweigh the zero advantages listed.

If you can't see why on a cold day it is better to be in the warm sun... I honestly can't help you. For me, this marks the strangest gopherhole disagreement I have ever been part of. And I have been in some doozies.

If you can't see why on a cold day it is better to be in the warm sun... I honestly can't help you. For me, this marks the strangest gopherhole disagreement I have ever been part of. And I have been in some doozies.

I think it also isn't that hard to to see that maybe every little difference in life doesn't apply to a team sport and all the other variables.

Sure I see why for the fans just sitting there being in the sun is better.

But for a team that is prepared for the weather (as every single team should be no matter the weather), no I don't see why it is better to be in the sun. Definitely not when you subtract all the detriments it may cause. You get one positive, sure they could possibly be a little warmer if they didn't prepare properly for the weather ( people should be fired in that case). Negatives: other team knows you are a pu$$y, changes whole routine on the field from run out of the tunnel to direction you look for plays etc, visiting team has to enter exit through your team, should I keep going? I think that's plenty already.

Sure I see why for the fans just sitting there being in the sun is better.

But for a team that is prepared for the weather (as every single team should be no matter the weather), no I don't see why it is better to be in the sun. Definitely not when you subtract all the detriments it may cause. You get one positive, sure they could possibly be a little warmer if they didn't prepare properly for the weather ( people should be fired in that case). Negatives: other team knows you are a pu$$y, changes whole routine on the field from run out of the tunnel to direction you look for plays etc, visiting team has to enter exit through your team, should I keep going? I think that's plenty already.

It's going to be hard to convince you with facts if you don't want to believe it in the first place.

Top Bottom