Any Confirmation on Gophers taking the WARM sideline?

Go watch our game vs Northwestern last year.
Warm side guys were in short-sleeves. (Northwestern)
Gophers side cold.
There was a possible turnover deflected of Bateman's cold hands and another incompletion that would have been a first down. Very obvious it was cold related because he had good hands in all of his other games.

Huge different and probably the #1 reason our winning streak isn't currently at 12 games.

We moved that game. Saw people in the stands wearing half of what I was. We moved and was able to shed some layers.

If you can't see why on a cold day it is better to be in the warm sun... I honestly can't help you. For me, this marks the strangest gopherhole disagreement I have ever been part of. And I have been in some doozies.
Agreed!

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Can someone please tell me what both teams do before they start to play. It's during pre-game, but I can't remember what it's called. Whatever it is, it allows the body to get loose and warm to play at a higher efficiency. I just wish I could remember what it's called...

oh yeah, it's called WARM UPS. I wonder if they do that b/c it's beneficial. Hmmmm I wonder why some players bike in between series....could it possibly be to stay loose and warm?

Idiotic exchange!

Can someone please tell me what both teams do before they start to play. It's during pre-game, but I can't remember what it's called. Whatever it is, it allows the body to get loose and warm to play at a higher efficiency. I just wish I could remember what it's called...

oh yeah, it's called WARM UPS. I wonder if they do that b/c it's beneficial. Hmmmm I wonder why some players bike in between series....could it possibly be to stay loose and warm?

Idiotic exchange!

Agreed, doesn't matter which sideline you are on! Both teams get to warm up!

LOL. Yep bateman didn't drop any other balls last season, and not one this season during warm games.

I'm not disputing the north side is warmer. I'm saying prove there is an advantage. If anything it makes the gophers look like pu$$ies that can't handle MN weather if they switch. I could easily argue that a detriment bigger than any advantage. Instantly give the other coach the ability to convince his team we are soft. :D

So you weren’t really open to the idea, were you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope, would be easy bulletin board material all week. "They are such pu$$ies they switched sidelines, they can't handle the weather" etc etc. Obviously a huge detriment to the team.

Oh dear you are desperate now.

Sure I see why for the fans just sitting there being in the sun is better.

But for a team that is prepared for the weather (as every single team should be no matter the weather), no I don't see why it is better to be in the sun. Definitely not when you subtract all the detriments it may cause. You get one positive, sure they could possibly be a little warmer if they didn't prepare properly for the weather ( people should be fired in that case). Negatives: other team knows you are a pu$$y, changes whole routine on the field from run out of the tunnel to direction you look for plays etc, visiting team has to enter exit through your team, should I keep going? I think that's plenty already.

So maybe we should change in the August and Sept games when it’s hotter than hades on the visitors side so we don’t look like
pu$$ie$. It’s called home field advantage- all schools try and have some kind of mental advantage over their opponents.

I said “if”

Yes, if there is an actual advantage (there must be so many since they are so obvious according to so many people) then I'd be OK with them switching sides all willy nilly in the middle of the season whenever they felt like it.

Agreed, doesn't matter which sideline you are on! Both teams get to warm up!

And on a 5+ minute drive on the game clock (way more time with injuries, TV TOs, quarter switches, challenges, measurements, inc. passes, etc), which team will find it easier and expand less energy to remain warm and lessen the risk of tightening up? The team in shade or the team in the sun with a 10+ degree increase in temp? Being warm is a performance advantage.

The fact that you are arguing against it is baffling. Are you really arguing that warmth isn't important? If so, please tell me why pitchers oftentimes keep their pitching arm in jackets? You may argue, if it's so important, why not wear the jacket....well, overheating than becomes an issue. Just give up.

So you weren’t really open to the idea, were you?

A receiver dropped a ball in a cold weather game is your proof? The same receiver who has dropped balls in warm weather games?

And on a 5+ minute drive on the game clock (way more time with injuries, TV TOs, quarter switches, challenges, measurements, inc. passes, etc), which team will find it easier and expand less energy to remain warm and lessen the risk of tightening up? The team in shade or the team in the sun with a 10+ degree increase in temp? Being warm is a performance advantage.

The fact that you are arguing against it is baffling. Are you really arguing that warmth isn't important? If so, please tell me why pitchers oftentimes keep their pitching arm in jackets? You may argue, if it's so important, why not wear the jacket....well, overheating than becomes an issue. Just give up.

No, I'm arguing that with heated seats, helmet warmers, other heaters running, parkas and proper attire both teams are equally warm regardless of the temperature on the side line. Maybe 50 years ago before this technology existed you would have an argument. Now there is no reason why any player should be cold on the sideline.

If this clear and obvious advantage would make such a big difference they would have switched a long time ago and for every cold weather game. Seems kind of silly to argue what you are arguing doesn't it?

Kind of seems like you are the desperate one since you can't even begin to counter the point.

You are arguing that it wouldn’t be an advantage for a team to be warmer on a cold November day - and I’m desperate? What’s next - no advantage to a QB that has 2 eyes?

You are arguing that it wouldn’t be an advantage for a team to be warmer on a cold November day - and I’m desperate? What’s next - no advantage to a QB that has 2 eyes?

No I argued both teams are equally warm/comfortable. You can't even pay attention.

No I argued both teams are equally warm/comfortable. You can't even pay attention.

The problem is I have been paying attention...

Still waiting to hear these clear and obvious advantages <b>to being a little warmer.</b>

Someone made the claim there were obvious advantages, <b>I'm claiming there aren't.</b>

You can see my confusion when you change your argument. Are they (a little) warmer or equally as warm? I’ll pay attention to the answer.

Also, don’t forget this gem you are also arguing...

Nope, would be easy bulletin board material all week. "They are such pu$$ies they switched sidelines, they can't handle the weather" etc etc.

The problem is I have been paying attention...

You can see my confusion when you change your argument. Are they (a little) warmer or equally as warm? I’ll pay attention to the answer.

Also, don’t forget this gem you are also arguing...

The air is a little warmer. Can the gophers players easily compensate with available technology? Clearly the answer is yes. We are talking about a 40 degree day, not a -30 degree day.

And clearly it would send the message to the other team that the gophers are too weak (also known as being a pu$$y) to handle a little cold if they switched sidelines. The only gem about that argument is the gem of a speech the other coach would be able to make with material like that.

The air is a little warmer. Can the gophers players easily compensate with available technology? Clearly the answer is yes. We are talking about a 40 degree day, not a -30 degree day.

And clearly it would send the message to the other team that the gophers are too weak (also known as being a pu$$y) to handle a little cold if they switched sidelines. The only gem about that argument is the gem of a speech the other coach would be able to make with material like that.

So they would be warmer? Not the same?
Wow, this is tough to follow.

I’m just glad PSU won’t tease us. Priceless. This thread is a great example of why I come here. I had a long day, but am smiling ear to ear now. I think you may actually believe what you are writing. Have you sent PJ your thoughts - I’d hate for him to make this mistake.

So they would be warmer? Not the same?
Wow, this is tough to follow.

I’m just glad PSU won’t tease us. Priceless. This thread is a great example of why I come here. I had a long day, but am smiling ear to ear now. I think you may actually believe what you are writing. Have you sent PJ your thoughts - I’d hate for him to make this mistake.

:drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink:

So some words prior to the game are going to give the other team an advantage is your lone reason for not switching?
Here’s an advantage to switching. When we are on offense and defense, we run new players on and off the field almost every play. Sometimes a player will be on the field for a play then be on the sideline for 5 or 6. Going to the cold side of the field, that player would cool down as he wouldn’t be able to take advantage of a coat, extra gloves or the heated bench in that time because he doesn’t know when he’s going back in but still needs to be ready on a moments notice. On the warm side he would not have to worry about that.

So some words prior to the game are going to give the other team an advantage is your lone reason for not switching?
Here’s an advantage to switching. When we are on offense and defense, we run new players on and off the field almost every play. Sometimes a player will be on the field for a play then be on the sideline for 5 or 6. Going to the cold side of the field, that player would cool down as he wouldn’t be able to take advantage of a coat, extra gloves or the heated bench in that time because he doesn’t know when he’s going back in but still needs to be ready on a moments notice. On the warm side he would not have to worry about that.

Nope, I listed many disadvantages and you don't think coach's speeches before games can make a difference? I've seen Fleck's speech from before the wisconsin game hundreds (hundreds?) of times and it still gives me chills.

As far as your advantage for switching, seems like a great opportunity to cool off a bit and stave off heat exhaustion and dehydration. Seems like more of an advantage than disadvantage.

Nope, I listed many disadvantages and you don't think coach's speeches before games can make a difference? I've seen Fleck's speech from before the wisconsin game hundreds (hundreds?) of times and it still gives me chills.

As far as your advantage for switching, seems like a great opportunity to cool off a bit and stave off heat exhaustion and dehydration. Seems like more of an advantage than disadvantage.

How come we never saw the speech he made before the Northwestern game?

You’re missing the point. A speech doesn’t win games.

I didn't say it does.

You are missing the point, speeches can make a difference. Which is why famous speeches live on forever.

I didn't say it does.

You are missing the point, speeches can make a difference. Which is why famous speeches live on forever.

And calling us names for switching sides would qualify as a famous speech? Put the shovel down BB.

I didn't say it does.

If speeches made a difference PJ would be undefeated every year. TC would have never won 9* games either.

Top Bottom