REACT: Who do you think played well in the season opener victory?

Jared.Hines

Reaction score
What sticks out to you from tonight's win over the Vikings?

Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 9.31.05 PM.jpg

I thought that the whole team play solid. Oturu is taking the next step. Demir got a little better as the game went on and Kalscheur was a little off but still solid. Now we have to see how it converts at a higher level of competition.

Tre Williams looked really, really smooth at times. He was turned around a few times on defense. I’m really excited to watch him for the next few years.

I agree with the idea that losing Murph and Coffey could provide advantages. Not taking anything away from those guys, but this team will definitely play more like a TEAM and we won't get stuck ball watching ISOs all night. Will be awesome having guard depth. Hope Isaiah can add something. Hopefully they can gel and find ways to win tough games.

Thought the defense was great. Last year our net suffered because we didn't blowout these type of teams, much more efficient tonight. Came out a little trigger happy, but alot of guys I think were a little too amped early, team settled in and played well after that. Cleveland State is bad, but we did our part in making them play bad. Thought this team looked much better than years passed against the zone.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I'm loving what Willis showed today. Smart player, smooth shot, and had a great pass to Hurt down low. Our guard play will be fun to watch.

Oturu's little midrange game was nice to see. I don't think he dominated down low nearly as much as he should have though.

I think it was pretty apparent that Pitino gave pretty much everyone the green light to shoot deep. Made way more in the second half.

Omersa - 8 points in 13 minutes (4 of 5). Seems locked in and learning even last year. He'll be 6th man or even starter this year and we'll need efficiency and good defense. Probably the Eric Curry replacement.

I'm loving what Willis showed today. Smart player, smooth shot, and had a great pass to Hurt down low. Our guard play will be fun to watch.

Oturu's little midrange game was nice to see. I don't think he dominated down low nearly as much as he should have though.

I think it was pretty apparent that Pitino gave pretty much everyone the green light to shoot deep. Made way more in the second half.

They played a 2-3 zone most of the game to stop Oturo from dominating - we have the shooting to blow up zones now.

Willis... Played the best. defended will..shot the ball well.. he's a tall #2 Carr was a close second(got blown by on D a couple times early, but he fixed that)

worst
Demir...….he won't see a lot of minutes if he continues to play at the LOW level he is playing at. Not Good

What really struck me last night was how perfect of a fit Dawson Garcia would be next year playing alongside Oturu. A big guy who could space the floor.

The loss of Curry this season -- even if he was only at 70-75% healthy -- is more significant than people think. There's a gaping hole at PF, though I think Demir will be more productive as he gets comfortable and aggressive. He needs to look for his shot instead of just trying to fit in.

That said, Gophers likely gonna' need Ihnen to be good to get to where they want to go (NCAA tourney). We can't have Hurt getting minutes at the 4 when Big Ten play rolls around. He's the same player he's been for four years, not a criticism, just a fact. When he puts up a 3 or drives to the hoop, I still never expect to see the ball go in the hoop. Omersa at least has a chance because he can compete athletically.

Last edited:

Our guard play is going to be very good. I'm excited for next year. This year is more of a development year but who knows, maybe they can surprise me...however, next year could be really fun if we can get a decent player at the 4.

Willis seems like a stud. Think that the combo of him and kalscheur is going to really help to spread the floor this year, and we should have a solid defensive backcourt

Defense is so much better than anytime I can remember. Four guys who can be good/great perimeter defenders (Williams, Willis, Carr, Gabe)

Demir is going to provide some good stuff. Not an elite player but is serviceable. Can score a little, has good defensive principles. Seems a little out of sync with the team but that could be for a lot of reasons. Keep in mind all the starters have been here for a lot longer than he has.

Need to see what Ihnen offers. He could be the difference maker the Gophers need.

Omersa - 8 points in 13 minutes (4 of 5). Seems locked in and learning even last year. He'll be 6th man or even starter this year and we'll need efficiency and good defense. Probably the Eric Curry replacement.

If he could shoot FT's, I'd say he might be a better option to start than Demir.

Top Bottom