Who thinks Tom Izzo is an A-hole?

Block M

Reaction score
Pompous ass. Hope his MSU team gets whipped.

Very complementary of the Gophers and Minnesota. Win a lot of games.

Has that "look" and on-court persona that may rub folks the wrong way, but seems to be a great guy off the court.

I give you a free pass to act however you want within the context of the court if you're racking up the wins.

Who really actually thinks about Izzo much to begin with

Use to like him a lot, same w/ Krzyzewski but have been drinking their own cool aid and have gone the unfortunate route of success -> dynk.

Guys who are also considered A holes by many:

Nick Saban
Bill Belichick
PJ Fleck
Urban Meyer
Coach K
Jim Boehiem
Joe Maddon
Tony LaRussa
Bob Knight
Greg Popovich
95% of coaches who win a lot

Sometimes it comes with the territory of being successful.

I disagree. Always been a fan of how Izzo and Tony Bennett conduct themselves and run their programs.

It's a high visibility job and nobody would be perfect under those circumstances. However, Izzo has always been gracious in defeat and victory.

Mark me down as a "No".

Me, too. With the absence of Bo Ryan, I'm finding a villain in the BIG coaching ranks hard to find. Franny and the guy at Illinois are candidates, but have a long way to go to match Bo's hatefulness.

Last edited:

Me, too. With the absence of Bo Ryan, I'm finding a villain in the BIG coaching ranks hard to find. Franny and the guy at Illinois are candidates, but have a long way to go to match Bo's hatefulness.

Archie Miller could get a seat at that table.

Never met Izzo. I’ll pass judgment.

Nope, I think as far as coaches go, he's a pretty class act. Demands a lot out of his players, gets the most out of his teams, and seems to go out of his way after games to give praise to the other team. He seems to run a clean program, and doesn't jump ship to a new school every few years.

Guys who are also considered A holes by many:

Nick Saban
Bill Belichick
PJ Fleck
Urban Meyer
Coach K
Jim Boehiem
Joe Maddon
Tony LaRussa
Bob Knight
Greg Popovich
95% of coaches who win a lot

Sometimes it comes with the territory of being successful.

We all love PJ, but one of those things is not like the others.

Think you’re one of the few raising that hand bud.

Pompous ass. Hope his MSU team gets whipped.

I generally have liked Izzo but admit that he is annoying during games and does come off as a pompous ass in games at times. I also think he has gotten too much power, like all big time coaches and is removed from reality at times (see his defensive and ridiculous deflections about past sexual assault claims re his program).

He has praised Minnesota a lot, but guess what, he praises every program. Coach speak. Defends his own.

In the end, he is a heckuva coach and his teams always improve during the course of a season. Like him. Love him or roll your eyes at him.

I think he is a decent guy who is an on court bully because of his reputation.

Great coach. I can see how he comes off that way though. He whines A TON at the refs every game I have ever watched.

He is nowhere near the "pompous ass" level of someone like Coach K though, not even close.

Flip loved him and almost enticed him to coach the wolves. Hes not as bad as Bobby Knight was. He has done nothing but win for a long time, I cant help but admire his work. Most basketball coaches act like freaks on the sideline, I cringe watching our Pitino sometimes. Part of the job is working the ref.

Flip loved him and almost enticed him to coach the wolves. Hes not as bad as Bobby Knight was. He has done nothing but win for a long time, I cant help but admire his work. Most basketball coaches act like freaks on the sideline, I cringe watching our Pitino sometimes. Part of the job is working the ref.

It feels like both Tubby and Richard had/have Kentucky syndrome. You don't have to work the refs to get calls there, but this isn't Kentucky.

It feels like both Tubby and Richard had/have Kentucky syndrome. You don't have to work the refs to get calls there, but this isn't Kentucky.

From the games I have seen in person, Richard is not above lobbying/complaining/whining/begging for calls. I think he does it precisely the right amount, any more and it starts to be just noise IMO.

He's also not afraid to inform when his players have fouled at times that it's on them, not the stripes.

From the games I have seen in person, Richard is not above lobbying/complaining/whining/begging for calls. I think he does it precisely the right amount, any more and it starts to be just noise IMO.

He's also not afraid to inform when his players have fouled at times that it's on them, not the stripes.

He lobbies/whines etc etc a lot less than nearly any coach. At times I think he should raise hell with the refs more when they deserve it

Serious question - what do you mean by Kentucky syndrome? Do they seem entitled to calls, too animated...?

Serious question - what do you mean by Kentucky syndrome? Do they seem entitled to calls, too animated...?

Mostly in reference to Tubby, it seemed like he felt his "Tubby Stare" should work equally well on the refs here as it did at Kentucky. I don't think he got T'd up more than once or twice his entire tenure. Pitino's a bit the same way, perhaps for different reasons. Maybe it's an age thing. But there's often times I find myself thinking "Clem would have gotten T'd up by now."

Count me out on wanting my coach to act like an entitled millennial on the sidelines for some perceived advantage. There’s more than one way to get from point A to point B.

Count me out on wanting my coach to act like an entitled millennial on the sidelines for some perceived advantage. There’s more than one way to get from point A to point B.

Duly noted that jakewad is against raising some cain with the refs when they make incorrect calls.

Perceived advantage? Why do some coaches continue with their sideline antics if there is no advantage? Because you are wrong.

Top Bottom