CFP Ranking Show Tonight. 8:00 PM ESPN

Clemson hasn't played anyone and is undefeated. #5

Minnesota hasn't played anyone and is undefeated. #17

Do I honestly think the Gophers are better than Clemson? No. But to argue that college football ranking system isn't flawed is ludicrous. Clemson is only rated that high because of perception coming into the season, but aren't we trying to figure out who the best is for this year and only this year? Or how about Georgia being rated higher than Oklahoma, despite Georgia losing to an Unranked team at HOME, while OU lost road game against what is now a ranked team. Yes Georgia beat ND and Florida, but how do we know that OU couldn't beat those teams had they been given a chance? Is it their fault other teams in their conference suck?

You want to know why pro sports are more popular than college sports in most cities? It's because fans of pro teams believe they are competing at an equal playing with other teams. Than you got a school like Minnesota that has to work their way up from the bottom despite the fact that everyone supposedly started "0-0" and once they do start making some progress up the ladder, they have to worry about big schools coming after their head coach, that is not the case in pro sports.

it's time for 5+3 playoff system, P5 conference winners get in and 3 wildcard, fan bases can bitch and moan about not getting one of the wildcard spots, but at end of the day, your team had a chance to get in by winning the conference. The way things stand now, Minnesota can win the B1G, but still miss out because of a loss, while a 1 loss SEC team who doesn't even play in their conference championship gets into the playoffs. Why? Because the SEC team was precept the better team coming into the season despite the fact we are trying to determine the best team for this season.
Exactly this. I don't care because if we take care of business things will sort themselves out. But if you get rid of team names these rankings make no sense. If Bama played our schedule, do you think they'd be at #17? How can you justify Wisconsin being 4 spots ahead of us with a loss to a team we killed (in addition to a second loss)?. How is Oklahoma ahead of Baylor if not for name recognition?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Chair of committee just confirmed explicitly it was due to our schedule. “Of their conference opponents, only one, Illinois, had a winning record”.

Who beat Wisconsin, a team they felt should be 4 spots ahead of us. The real answer is, we didn’t watch much minnesota and they’re not a national brand so we kinda viewed them as a group of 5 team so 17 seemed good

The cfp is garbage. Utah at #8 with a loss to bad usc team and zero wins over ranked teams and we r blowing out teams and only 17. I hope gophers use this as bulletin board material Saturday!!

Chair of committee just confirmed explicitly it was due to our schedule. “Of their conference opponents, only one, Illinois, had a winning record”.

Utah at number 8 and a loss has beaten 1 freaking opponent with winning record too!!

When they were talking about Penn State, they said something about them having a big game in a couple weeks against Ohio State, totally skipping over the game this weekend. They mentioned the Minnesota game a bit later, but it was more of an afterthought. They’re already assuming a Penn State win.

I hope PJ shows that to the team.

I've noticed this on the network sports shows as well. Screw em Gophers! Beat PSU and ruin their big PSU-OSU game plan!

Go Gophers!

Until the last week or two, CFP rankings mean next to nothing and are more of a marketing tool than a reflection of who the best teams are. In our situation they don't matter at all. If the Gophers go 13-0 they'll make it no matter what. If they don't, they have no shot at making it.

I've noticed this on the network sports shows as well. Screw em Gophers! Beat PSU and ruin their big PSU-OSU game plan!

Go Gophers!

Gophers can, indeed, upset more than a few very smug apple carts this coming Saturday.

I think there are national media people who might need to take another look at Minnesota. A win Saturday will open their eyes.

Seems odd our schedule is ripped, but Oregon also has minimal wins over 0.500 teams.
Just better names than ours. Washington / USC.

Gophers can, indeed, upset more than a few very smug apple carts this coming Saturday.

I think there are national media people who might need to take another look at Minnesota. A win Saturday will open their eyes.

Are you sure that a win over the #4 team in the nation will open eyes and upset apple carts?

I'm not sure if that's obvious enough.

Look at PSU's ranking this way, a loss will be no disgrace but a win will elevate MN to the top 6.
PSU has nothing to gain and everything to lose and they are looking ahead to tOSU. In any event it is good for the BIG to have two teams in the final four and some teams in the top ten.

Great way to look at it. I'm fine with the ranking now after my initial outrage. Takes some pressure off the Gophers, and they can play their way (team, FAMILY, fun). All the pressure is now on PSU; let's hope they crack.

We all knew this was going to happen. MN will get respect when they win a big game.

We are 0-0 this week. Let's get to 1-0.

None of these rankings matter unless we win and if we win we will move up in the rankings. The Gophers are in full control, just win baby!

At first, I was kind of taken aback by Wisconsin, but when you think about it, you can't put Michigan above them in good conscience. If you can't put Michigan above them, you can't put Notre Dame. Can you put Minnesota above Michigan? I think you probably could as the Gophers haven't lost, but Michigan has beaten Iowa, Notre Dame, and almost beat Penn State.

The initial one is just for show; things will play out. The good thing about the Gophers is they have a tremendous opportunity to move up the rest of the way.

Are you sure that a win over the #4 team in the nation will open eyes and upset apple carts?

I'm not sure if that's obvious enough.

No. If the Gophers beat PSU, then PSU will be dropped out of the top 10. Then the CFP will say "see the Gophers haven't beaten a top 10 team yet".

Here's my take on this #17 rank

It's OK....

When the Gophers have put several 10 or mnore win seasons together, then in this same exact scenario of opponents being miserable FBS football teams, the Gophers would be ranked in the top 10 for sure... Not until then though. We are still in the "prove it" phase of our resurgence...

Here's my take on this #17 rank

It's OK....

When the Gophers have put several 10 or mnore win seasons together, then in this same exact scenario of opponents being miserable FBS football teams, the Gophers would be ranked in the top 10 for sure... Not until then though. We are still in the "prove it" phase of our resurgence...

That’s not how this is supposed to work

Pretty simple what needs to be done

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/d-hDl6OALv4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

^^^

Say hello to your wife, and my kids!

It is about the quality of the wins a team has against the strength of schedule you have. Really does not matter as it will play out by what happens next. A few years ago, Ohio State was ranked 16 in the first reveal and ended up winning the national title.

Yep... but it is how it is working... That's why Mich and Wisc are where they are...memories of recent past glories!

That’s exactly my point though. Though it’s how it’s working doesn’t mean it’s right. It is also why I stand by the idea that teams should be blinded when looking at initial resumes before the eye test discerns teams that are deemed as equal

From one perspective, a close loss to Penn State might actually raise the Gophers' national standing.

Think about it - the big knock on the Gophers is "they haven't played anybody." Well, Penn State is Somebody. A big somebody - ranked #4 in the CFP.

So, if the Gophers play a solid game, and lose by a small margin (6 pts or less) - the national narrative may well shift to saying "The Gophers played well against their strongest competition of the year." would be even better if the Gophs get a few big plays from Johnson or Bateman.

So, my gut tells me a close loss to Penn State does not hurt the gophers in the AP or Coaches' ratings. Shoot, they might even move up if several teams in front of them also lose.

now, if the Gophs get blown out, that is a whole 'nother kettle of fish. might even be lutefisk.

'Yep... but it is how it is working... That's why Mich and Wisc are where they are...memories of recent past glories!'

Do not tell that to Clemson.

Last edited:

This is a self fulfilling system guarenteed to produce the same results with the same teams every year for the sole benifit of the media and the helmet school who will recruit better with each passing year.

Top Bottom