CFP Ranking Show Tonight. 8:00 PM ESPN

So if the Gophers lose, are they going to fall out of the top 25?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I personally don’t think so, unless you lose in blowout fashion. Either way, if we lose Saturday, it doesn’t matter where we get ranked provided we beat Iowa, Northwestern and Wisconsin. Do that, get to 11-1 (if we lose Saturday as you speculate) and we are ranked in the top 10 and headed to Indy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s strength of schedule, end of story.

You acknowledge it for what it was, and you move on. We have #4 at home in a few days. We control our destiny.

This^^^

Chair of committee just confirmed explicitly it was due to our schedule. “Of their conference opponents, only one, Illinois, had a winning record”.

We need more quality losses. Hopefully PJ realizes this and schedules some SEC teams we can lose to next year.

Whatever, win this weekend and we'll be top 10.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I've said this before; I'm going to repeat myself...

To the Gophers, rankings are of little consequence.

Right now, the objective is to win the B1G West. We have a 2 game lead, with 4 to play.

If we win that, we're going to Indianapolis no matter what the polls say.

And beyond that, it's still all about winning the games in front of us.

The polls aren't really where our focus should be right now. They're almost irrelevant at this point.

Love it....give the players that extra juice to prove em wrong. Take down #4 on Saturday and we will move up these ranking real quick....Let's Go!

It’s strength of schedule, end of story.

You acknowledge it for what it was, and you move on. We have #4 at home in a few days. We control our destiny.

Yep. Strength of schedule takes care of itself the next few weeks. On the bright side, the Gophs low ranking and PSU's high ranking provides a nice combo of motivation and opportunity for this weekend's game.

Right now, the objective is to win the B1G West. We have a 2 game lead, with 4 to play.

The polls aren't really where our focus should be right now. They're almost irrelevant at this point.

Totally agree, when this season started I don't think any of us had any realistic thoughts of even being in the CFP mix. The priority for this year was to contend in the West, as it stands right now that priority has shifted to Win the West. The rest will take care of itself.

Tough ranking, but the best part is we play #4 and we play 1 or 2 more against top 20.
We win all three, we'll have a very nice ranking.

For conversation sake, do they now market the game 4 vs 17 per this, or keep it 5 vs 13 per AP?

Post of the day, whether they had us 25th or 5th. TAKE CARE OF BUSINESS SATURDAY!

I think part of keeping Baylor and Minnesota out of the top 8-10 is to keep hope alive for those other teams ranked 5-10.

Part of this deal is to keep hope alive for teams that don't control their own destiny.
We control ours as much as anyone else.
A one loss Oregon or Utah is not going to get in if we go unbeaten and the East winner only has one loss.
It's just not going to happen.

Is our good friend Barry still on the committee? Although honestly badgers have better wins. I'm sure they look at the Illinois loss as an anomaly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For conversation sake, do they now market the game 4 vs 17 per this, or keep it 5 vs 13 per AP?

Nationally, I think it will be 4 vs 17.

There is a scenario in here somewhere where we could go 10-3 and get a fringe top 25 ranking. That would be disgraceful. 10 win season and some 2nd rate bowl.

PSU - L
Iowa - W
NW - W
Wisconsin - L
OSU - L

Well, the team can only do what they can against PSU this week.

They should have enough motivation now.

Is our good friend Barry still on the committee? Although honestly badgers have better wins. I'm sure they look at the Illinois loss as an anomaly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No, he is no longer on it

There is a scenario in here somewhere where we could go 10-3 and get a fringe top 25 ranking. That would be disgraceful. 10 win season and some 2nd rate bowl.

PSU - L
Iowa - W
NW - W
Wisconsin - L
OSU - L

Outback would be nothing to sneeze at.

Outback would be nothing to sneeze at.
Doesn't help recruiting saying your team got 10 wins, beat an SEC team in a bowl game and still barely cracked the rankings. 18 year old kids see that shiny number in front of a teams name

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

So if the Gophers lose, are they going to fall out of the top 25?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

No, they will stay at 17, that ranking assumes we have already lost to PSU.

Thank you for bringing some sense to this. ESPN needs a dramatic controversial show to have on to stroke the big market teams and sell advertising.

When they were talking about Penn State, they said something about them having a big game in a couple weeks against Ohio State, totally skipping over the game this weekend. They mentioned the Minnesota game a bit later, but it was more of an afterthought. They’re already assuming a Penn State win.

I hope PJ shows that to the team.

Last edited:

Look at PSU's ranking this way, a loss will be no disgrace but a win will elevate MN to the top 6.
PSU has nothing to gain and everything to lose and they are looking ahead to tOSU. In any event it is good for the BIG to have two teams in the final four and some teams in the top ten.

Clemson hasn't played anyone and is undefeated. #5

Minnesota hasn't played anyone and is undefeated. #17

Do I honestly think the Gophers are better than Clemson? No. But to argue that college football ranking system isn't flawed is ludicrous. Clemson is only rated that high because of perception coming into the season, but aren't we trying to figure out who the best is for this year and only this year? Or how about Georgia being rated higher than Oklahoma, despite Georgia losing to an Unranked team at HOME, while OU lost road game against what is now a ranked team. Yes Georgia beat ND and Florida, but how do we know that OU couldn't beat those teams had they been given a chance? Is it their fault other teams in their conference suck?

You want to know why pro sports are more popular than college sports in most cities? It's because fans of pro teams believe they are competing at an equal playing with other teams. Than you got a school like Minnesota that has to work their way up from the bottom despite the fact that everyone supposedly started "0-0" and once they do start making some progress up the ladder, they have to worry about big schools coming after their head coach, that is not the case in pro sports.

it's time for 5+3 playoff system, P5 conference winners get in and 3 wildcard, fan bases can bitch and moan about not getting one of the wildcard spots, but at end of the day, your team had a chance to get in by winning the conference. The way things stand now, Minnesota can win the B1G, but still miss out because of a loss, while a 1 loss SEC team who doesn't even play in their conference championship gets into the playoffs. Why? Because the SEC team was precept the better team coming into the season despite the fact we are trying to determine the best team for this season.

Last edited:

Top Bottom