PJ Agrees to New Deal

Best part of that is, "and his staff"...
I'm glad to hear his staff is getting taken care of because they do so much of the dirty work. Keep your coordinators locked down.

Look forward to seeing the terms once they're out. Great news all around.
I hope the buyout is 1 Zillion dollars (mua hahahahaha)

PJ spoke about the people around him who make him successful during the press conference.
Said the buyout make it "unattractive" for other teams.

Great job by the U and Coyle to step up and act like a big time program.

Seven years from now we might regret parts for some reason but as of right now, this is the only move a big time program could have made and they executed on it.

Part of me was worried that if we beat Penn State it would hasten PJ's departure. Now I'm all in to kick their ass. Coyle has done a remarkable job as AD. CONGRATS to all concerned.

I would’ve liked to see a higher buyout, but am glad he’s inked for longer. Nice work from Coyle

That's significantly less than I expected for his salary, and it makes me wonder if he won't have a few incentives that are relatively easy to hit most years. Very glad to hear about the $10 million dollar buyout.

I would’ve liked to see a higher buyout, but am glad he’s inked for longer. Nice work from Coyle

$10 million is probably enough to scare away most teams, especially since they often need to fire a previous coach as well.

That's significantly less than I expected for his salary, and it makes me wonder if he won't have a few incentives that are relatively easy to hit most years. Very glad to hear about the $10 million dollar buyout.

I think Jerry had per win bonuses and such. Maybe those.

4.6 is way too low if there aren't incentives

I wonder if 4.6 represents a hedge on PJ's part to get a contract done before our very brutal final stretch.

$10 million is probably enough to scare away most teams, especially since they often need to fire a previous coach as well.

Hope so. Would imagine it would be the Michigan’s and USCs of world who would have been only realistic poachers based on job status and now money. I dunno if this is enough; but agree it would add significant pause

"PJ Fleck has agreed to a new seven-year contract at Minnesota. Deal includes significant pay raise for he and his staff" per Pete Thamel on Twitter.

Best part of that is, "and his staff"...
I'm glad to hear his staff is getting taken care of because they do so much of the dirty work. Keep your coordinators locked down.

Look forward to seeing the terms once they're out. Great news all around.
I hope the buyout is 1 Zillion dollars (mua hahahahaha)

Yes you have to get the school to take care of you OC & DC to for stability sake. I also think that the other coaches should get some sort of raise also.

Last edited:

I think Jerry had per win bonuses and such. Maybe those.

Yeah, was thinking some per win bonuses, making a bowl game, where the recruiting class gets ranked, etc.

Obviously it will also have the big ones like winning the Big Ten and making a NY6 bowl as well for some really big money.

4.6 is way too low if there aren't incentives

Only if you don't believe PJ is genuine in wanting to be here and that the people around him are important. I would look for assistants to get big raises.

This is a pretty great contract imo. I was thinking 5-8 years at 5 mil so 7 at 4.6 feels like a win for everyone involved.

Hell yah I’m happy now let’s win Saturday!

glad PJ gets a salary in line to what he was about to get if he stayed at Western Mighigan

Very happy about this. It sure seems like the football program is in great shape. Saturday will be a good time!

"PJ Fleck has agreed to a new seven-year contract at Minnesota. Deal includes significant pay raise for he and his staff" per Pete Thamel on Twitter.

Only if you don't believe PJ is genuine in wanting to be here and that the people around him are important. I would look for assistants to get big raises.

Your HC also may have a contract on with a progressive scale with raises every 2 - 3 years based on performance.

Good point about support from the new president of the U. Deal probabbly doesn't get done without her say so.

My thought on her is that with her background at South Carolina, and Florida State University, she understands what successful sports programs mean to the Universities overall brand.... She is our Donna Shalala.

Top Bottom