PJ Agrees to New Deal

Rossi definitely needed a raise, so I'm glad to here the assistants are getting taken care of.

This feels like a temporary contract. If the buyout is only $4.5 mil in 2 years, then they will definitely be inking a new deal before that kicks in. Just looking at the next 2 years, PJ's base salary seems low but the assistants increase looks good. Hopefully PJ has some easy incentives to bump his salary up because $4.6m is about $1m too low IMO.

Fleck's buyout goes from approx 9 million to roughly 24.5 million in the new deal. That is one of the higher buyouts on the linked list and his 4.6 million salary clocks in around 20th in the country. Seems like a very fair deal to both sides.https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

Fleck's buyout goes from approx 9 million to roughly 24.5 million in the new deal. That is one of the higher buyouts on the linked list and his 4.6 million salary clocks in around 20th in the country. Seems like a very fair deal to both sides.https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

The buyout is $10M at end of next season and then $4.5M at end of 2021 season.

This feels like a temporary contract. If the buyout is only $4.5 mil in 2 years, then they will definitely be inking a new deal before that kicks in. Just looking at the next 2 years, PJ's base salary seems low but the assistants increase looks good. Hopefully PJ has some easy incentives to bump his salary up because $4.6m is about $1m too low IMO.

Could be wrong but I think the buyout numbers are cumulative. So his buyout after next season would drop by 10 million but would still be around 14.5 million to buy out the remainder of his contract.

Best part of that is, "and his staff"...
I'm glad to hear his staff is getting taken care of because they do so much of the dirty work. Keep your coordinators locked down.

Look forward to seeing the terms once they're out. Great news all around.
I hope the buyout is 1 Zillion dollars (mua hahahahaha)

That's a bit harsh. Just make them build us a new Barn.

This is extension has everything I wanted! Based on reduced buyout after 2 years I would expect another extension by that point!

I agree that we likely see another extension in two years.

Seems the administration is using this as a nod that Fleck will get taken care of, and they will keep addressing any updates to salary or other issues every few years.

Was thinking the same. That's what it's gotta be.

I think if he finishes this season strong and has another 9+ win season in 2020, he should get another raise for sure.

I think if he finishes this season strong and has another 9+ win season in 2020, he should get another raise for sure.

Totally agree. Hes getting a big raise for having a great 10 game run. Finish this year strong and have a good 2020 and he'll probably get another 500k+ per year.

Well, if we win 6 more games this season, we need to re-draw a contract next year anyway.

Coyle has been re-assessing annually anyway.

Could be wrong but I think the buyout numbers are cumulative. So his buyout after next season would drop by 10 million but would still be around 14.5 million to buy out the remainder of his contract.

You are wrong.

The big deal IMHO is it seems like he took less money for himself so that the 10 coaches get a nice raise. Great for him for acknowledging his coaches.

The big deal IMHO is it seems like he took less money for himself so that the 10 coaches get a nice raise. Great for him for acknowledging his coaches.

PJ knows he needs his guys around him.

That's significantly less than I expected for his salary, and it makes me wonder if he won't have a few incentives that are relatively easy to hit most years. Very glad to hear about the $10 million dollar buyout.

If my math is right, $21M is guaranteed...that's the more important number to Fleck.

Where does he rank now among the rest of the coaches in the Big Ten for salary????

That's significantly less than I expected for his salary, and it makes me wonder if he won't have a few incentives that are relatively easy to hit most years. Very glad to hear about the $10 million dollar buyout.

Yep. up to 400K for B10 Championship and National Coach of the year, and up to 300K for post season wins...

Not that those are easy. But looks like 125K for any bowl win against a P5 conference

This is a 1 year deal based on exlempary performance. We'll be right here next year looking to add a year on and will restructure as appropriate then too. Maybe we just add a year on the same terms and let the $50,000 increase kick-in, maybe we give him an increase to take him to $5M - we'll see where the team's performance is at. Also, we likley change the buyout terms resetting the $10M. His deal has been restructured every season thus far, no reason to think it won't be again next. I think this is a great deal. He's in the top 30 paid coaches in the country, we have a strong 1-year proection, and we can do this again in 2020.

Hope this bump for the assistants keeps the band together. It took until the 4th game, but I really enjoy watching Kirk Ciarrocca’s offense.

Love the $10M buyout. Few will do that, and if they did then bless their hearts.

$4.6M bass and up every year. Great spot to be in!!

Top Bottom