PJ Agrees to New Deal

Unreal.....listen to the press conference...actually listen.....stop assuming that every coach is going to look only at $$$ and listen to what Fleck is saying.

He talks about wanting to be like Fry, Ferentz, Fitzgerald, Alvarez....former players coming back to the same head coach and continuing to support the program. He wants to be here for the long haul. I know we are conditioned to believe that all people care about is money but that doesn't always have to be the case.

Fleck and Coyle probably will keep evaluating and modifying the deal but the bottom line is Fleck wants to be here which is what him signing this deal should have proven yet we still have people talking about a "big time" program swooping in and taking him away.

He believes he can win championships at Minnesota, time for many of our fans to start believing the same instead of instantly assuming we will be playing second fiddle to the big boys.

I know it runs counter to everything we believe around here but maybe....just maybe....we hit a HR hire with a coach that is looking to become a legend at his chosen school and not just looking to chase job after job in search of more money and power.....I mean it is almost like we are a Big Ten school with tons of untapped resources at our disposal.....nah, no way that can be true.....

It’s the Minnesota way, and I’m not just talking Gopher football: expect the worst, be unsatisfied with good, doubt great.

I expect great. I’m ecstatic with great. Saturday is going to be great. The next several years will be great. I’m expecting to go to a Rose Bowl.

Damn straight.

Unreal.....listen to the press conference...actually listen.....stop assuming that every coach is going to look only at $$$ and listen to what Fleck is saying.

He talks about wanting to be like Fry, Ferentz, Fitzgerald, Alvarez....former players coming back to the same head coach and continuing to support the program. He wants to be here for the long haul. I know we are conditioned to believe that all people care about is money but that doesn't always have to be the case.

Fleck and Coyle probably will keep evaluating and modifying the deal but the bottom line is Fleck wants to be here which is what him signing this deal should have proven yet we still have people talking about a "big time" program swooping in and taking him away.

He believes he can win championships at Minnesota, time for many of our fans to start believing the same instead of instantly assuming we will be playing second fiddle to the big boys.

I know it runs counter to everything we believe around here but maybe....just maybe....we hit a HR hire with a coach that is looking to become a legend at his chosen school and not just looking to chase job after job in search of more money and power.....I mean it is almost like we are a Big Ten school with tons of untapped resources at our disposal.....nah, no way that can be true.....

^^^

Well said. My takeaway from the presser is he’s in it to win it at MN. He’s all in. Of course, attitudes and situations can evolve over time but he appears to legitimately want to become a historical legend here. Sure, he could be sandbagging everyone and dash out Jan 1 2021 but I’m not sensing that. This is coming from probably one of the more cynical posters here...

Last edited:

You hit on the head. According to Coyle's press conference they had already been in talks since July. These two guy have their sh!t together. I think this is (and I'm scared to say it) a division 1 program now. Coyle and the Prez and however many board members there are bought in and have decided to actually field a real college football program. A lot also has to be said about PJ's dividing up praise for other programs too. I think things are beginning to change for all U teams. Not that they were divisive before, but I think he is reaching out to other programs and helping them get support also.

Best part of that is, "and his staff"...
I'm glad to hear his staff is getting taken care of because they do so much of the dirty work. Keep your coordinators locked down.

Look forward to seeing the terms once they're out. Great news all around.
I hope the buyout is 1 Zillion dollars (mua hahahahaha)

More like..

<iframe src="https://vlipsy.com/embed/MFae8QSm" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0"></iframe>

If they have to wait...they will wait.

Agent could work out a deal long before anyone actually resigns.

What recruit is going to sign with a school that doesn’t have a head coach? I would estimate close to 90% of recruits are now signing in December, and you basically won’t have a recruiting class if a coach isn’t in place by early December. No coach is going to sign up for that. This extension silences any noise for at least 2 years.

What recruit is going to sign with a school that doesn’t have a head coach? I would estimate close to 90% of recruits are now signing in December, and you basically won’t have a recruiting class if a coach isn’t in place by early December. No coach is going to sign up for that. This extension silences any noise for at least 2 years.

I really hope that you are correct, but if you are saying that we won't hear anything about modifications to PJ's contract or other schools having interest in him until after the 2021 season, I think you're incorrect. There are coaching changes that will continue to take place in late December and January, albeit fewer of them, even with the early signing date. Coaches will quit or be fired after a bowl game. They will have recruiting classes in place. The NFL will hire college coaches opening jobs later in the hiring season. Those schools will also have already signed their early classes. Spots will open and some will be at places that will be willing to pay the buyout to get an established head coach rather than promoting an interim for a year. This contract helps, but it doesn't eliminate the risk or stop the talk.

I say this as a fan who loves PJ, agrees that PJ wants to be here to see where he can take the program and hopes we have our guy for a generation, but there is a reason that the $10M buyout is for 14 months and not 3 years or 5 years and it isn't to protect the University.

If someone wants PJ ... they'll wait.

They're not going to pick a different coach because of a croot.

I really hope that you are correct, but if you are saying that we won't hear anything about modifications to PJ's contract or other schools having interest in him until after the 2021 season, I think you're incorrect. There are coaching changes that will continue to take place in late December and January, albeit fewer of them, even with the early signing date. Coaches will quit or be fired after a bowl game. They will have recruiting classes in place. The NFL will hire college coaches opening jobs later in the hiring season. Those schools will also have already signed their early classes. Spots will open and some will be at places that will be willing to pay the buyout to get an established head coach rather than promoting an interim for a year. This contract helps, but it doesn't eliminate the risk or stop the talk.

I say this as a fan who loves PJ, agrees that PJ wants to be here to see where he can take the program and hopes we have our guy for a generation, but there is a reason that the $10M buyout is for 14 months and not 3 years or 5 years and it isn't to protect the University.

People will write about it because they need to sell content. They will write about anything that gets clicks. What I’m saying is the likelihood of PJ leaving for another college program after next season is close to zero based on how the contract is written. Ultimately PJ will be here if wants to and will leave if he doesn’t like it. Everything he has said points strongly to him staying for a long time.

If someone wants PJ ... they'll wait.

They're not going to pick a different coach because of a croot.

For the openings this year, let’s see how many programs wait until January to hire a head coach. I’ll predict zero.

PJ Fleck is the single best thing to happen to Gopher football since we last won the Big Ten in 1967. He gives us the full range of talents we so desperately need in this PC area that requires nothing less than a flawless college football program.

People will write about it because they need to sell content. They will write about anything that gets clicks. What I’m saying is the likelihood of PJ leaving for another college program after next season is close to zero based on how the contract is written. Ultimately PJ will be here if wants to and will leave if he doesn’t like it. Everything he has said points strongly to him staying for a long time.

I think you are dodging the point. Part of the reason the buyout dates are significant is due to the "noise" you talk about silencing. The selected end date is important and could easily have been a month or three months later, which would have provided greater "noise protection." You initially said that the contract "silences any noise for at least 2 years," then you said that with the contract the chance of him leaving after next season (12-14 months from now) is "close to zero." Later you concluded "PJ will be here if he wants to and will leave if he doesn't like it," which, of course, has absolutely nothing to do with this contract. That was true under the old contract and will be true under his next one.

I see what PJ says about what he's building here, I want to believe him and I do, in fact, believe and support him. My point is that this contract could easily have been written in a way that binds PJ more closely to the U and for a longer period of time and it doesn't do that. That makes it easier for other schools to target him, easier for him to leave, puts more pressure on the U to adjust his contract and provides greater fodder for the noisemakers.

For the openings this year, let’s see how many programs wait until January to hire a head coach. I’ll predict zero.

How many need to wait?

I doubt blue bloods are filtering candidates based on existing contracts.

Top Bottom