PJ Agrees to New Deal

The buyout is $10M at end of next season and then $4.5M at end of 2021 season.

I don’t think so. The buyout drops from $10M to $4.5M on 1/1/21. It essentially assures he will be our coach in 2020 - but will likely need to be done over again next year if we continue on this trajectory. Lou Nanne feels we likely only needed to pay $4.6M because of the near term buyout drop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love the $10M buyout. Few will do that, and if they did then bless their hearts.

If the numbers reported elsewhere are correct, the $10M buyout drops to $4.5M in less than 14 months. Happy they got something done and glad that the contract gives PJ a bump and salary increases for the assistants, but we haven't achieved long-term stability with this contract. A year from now when job X is open we'll be hearing that Fleck's buyout is $10M, but that it drops to $4.5M on January 1. The re-negotiation talks should already be penciled in on Coyle's calendar.

This is probably why Fleck's salary feels low to some. Looking for more money to put towards his staff and taking a bit less for himself.

Fleck’s new contract is almost perfect. The salary is in line with what Fleck has accomplished here to this point and it also secures money for his assistants. Middle to just in the top half of Big 10 hierarchy is where he should be. The key thing is that there is still even more room to bump him in the future if it is deserved, say if we win the Big10 or win a national title. Fleck shouldn’t be paid within the top 3-4 of this conference unless he actually brings home a conference title. If he does that, then you can bump him to the $5-6M range.

Nice job by U!

Coyle has been on a "well address it every year" basis. Seems like that will continue.
Come back next December after the season and add a year. Repeat annually.

If he beats Penn State, Iowa and the skunks he should get this contract torn up and a new one giving him twice what Brohm makes.

Press release from the U of MN:

Off the field, Fleck and his team can often be found at the University of Minnesota Masonic Children's Hospital and have given back to the community by hosting diaper drives, turkey drives, a school supply drive and a canned food drive.

In the classroom, Minnesota has posted program record GPAs under Fleck. Academic honorees have not been announced yet for the 2019 season, but Minnesota currently has 85 players with a GPA of 3.0 or higher. In 2018, Minnesota had 39 players named Academic All-Big Ten and led the Big Ten with three players named Academic All-American.

Wow. It's incredibly gratifying to hear about the Gophers civic engagement, and it is AWESOME to hear about their academic success along with all the on-field success. This bump in pay is very richly deserved in my opinion, so huge congrats to PJ, staff, and to the U administration for ponying up as was badly needed.

Go Gophers!

I don’t think so. The buyout drops from $10M to $4.5M on 1/1/21. It essentially assures he will be our coach in 2020 - but will likely need to be done over again next year if we continue on this trajectory. Lou Nanne feels we likely only needed to pay $4.6M because of the near term buyout drop.

It's really a one year deal. If he's successful they'll do it again, which is fine. It sounds like he has a good relationship with Coyle and Gabel.

Fantastic news. Fleck is the best thing to happen to this program in a long time.

It's really a one year deal. If he's successful they'll do it again, which is fine. It sounds like he has a good relationship with Coyle and Gabel.

From the Gophers perspective it's certainly more than a one year deal. And even from Fleck's it's at least a two year deal as the buy-out stays at $10 million until 2021, unless I'm misreading something. I'd expect that there might not be any modification next year, or at most a standard one year extension with a bigger renegotiation in 2 years.

It gives the U time to at least match any offer during prime coaching carousel season next year. Could be that Coyle has received signals that the regents will rubber-stamp anything that puts Fleck mid-pack in B10 pay for now, but a really big contract will require some internal dealing. Big wins and a nice increase in revenue will help a lot. Another 10,000 fans at 100 bucks a pop is $1M per game, and would be very persuasive to the regents.

Coyle mentioned the great support he received from Gabel. This is a good first step but as mentioned it only really is solid until 1/21. I thought the details around plane travel and the $49,000 of Nike gear were entertaining. Hope he qualifies for some of the incentives this season.

From the Gophers perspective it's certainly more than a one year deal. And even from Fleck's it's at least a two year deal as the buy-out stays at $10 million until 2021, unless I'm misreading something. I'd expect that there might not be any modification next year, or at most a standard one year extension with a bigger renegotiation in 2 years.

I think the $10M is in place until after the 2020 season. I guess it depends on the exact dates in the contract.

Of course it's more than a one year deal for the school. That's how it is in college athletics. The school gets locked in. If the coach is good he's a free agent before the ink is dry. Really weird.

I think the contract accomplishes the main goal of keeping him from walking if they finish the season really strong. It seems like he has a good relationship with Coyle and Gabel, so I'm reasonably optimistic that they will be able to work it out again next year if he has another really good year.

In any case, he's a really good coach and leader. I hope that he stays for several more years.

Last edited:

I think the $10M is in place until after the 2020 season. I guess it depends on the exact dates in the contract.

The buyout drops on 1/1/2021. Jamiche is correct. Basically locks him in for one year only. Which is fine. Much better than where we were yesterday.

If the numbers reported elsewhere are correct, the $10M buyout drops to $4.5M in less than 14 months. Happy they got something done and glad that the contract gives PJ a bump and salary increases for the assistants, but we haven't achieved long-term stability with this contract. A year from now when job X is open we'll be hearing that Fleck's buyout is $10M, but that it drops to $4.5M on January 1. The re-negotiation talks should already be penciled in on Coyle's calendar.

Agree with this. It's a step in the right direction but it only buys one more year of stability. A $4.6m/year contract with a $4.5m buyout won't be hard for anyone to buyout and beat in 14 months.

"PJ Fleck has agreed to a new seven-year contract at Minnesota. Deal includes significant pay raise for he and his staff" per Pete Thamel on Twitter.

All in on this. Great move by Coyle. Even if we win 1 of the last 4 I am still bought in.

Trajectory is high, kids love playing for him, and he will be able to continue to get recruits.

Well deserved PJ and well done Coyle.

Agree with this. It's a step in the right direction but it only buys one more year of stability. A $4.6m/year contract with a $4.5m buyout won't be hard for anyone to buyout and beat in 14 months.

The thing of it is, should we have another 9+ year ins next year, Coyle would sure love to be able to point to the bump in revenue from selling out the stadium every game next year when he goes to the President and says, look at how great it is for this university to have a good football team. It’s worth paying PJ $5.5M.

It’s highly doubtful a big time program would wait until January 1 to hire a new coach. With the early signing day now in December, it provides even more incentive for a school to fire a coach during the season (ie Taggart) so they can have someone in place as close to Dec 1 as possible and try and fill out a recruiting class. PJ’s contract won’t be discussed again for at least 2 years.

The thing of it is, should we have another 9+ year ins next year, Coyle would sure love to be able to point to the bump in revenue from selling out the stadium every game next year when he goes to the President and says, look at how great it is for this university to have a good football team. It’s worth paying PJ $5.5M.

PJ put his staff first and gave the U a great deal, because he has faith in our fan base and he WANTS to be here.

It’s highly doubtful a big time program would wait until January 1 to hire a new coach. With the early signing day now in December, it provides even more incentive for a school to fire a coach during the season (ie Taggart) so they can have someone in place as close to Dec 1 as possible and try and fill out a recruiting class. PJ’s contract won’t be discussed again for at least 2 years.

Hope you’re correct, and if we slip back to an 7 or 8 win season next year it may be a moot point, but I’ll be surprised if we don’t hear about it being modified again a year or so from now.

Unreal.....listen to the press conference...actually listen.....stop assuming that every coach is going to look only at $$$ and listen to what Fleck is saying.

He talks about wanting to be like Fry, Ferentz, Fitzgerald, Alvarez....former players coming back to the same head coach and continuing to support the program. He wants to be here for the long haul. I know we are conditioned to believe that all people care about is money but that doesn't always have to be the case.

Fleck and Coyle probably will keep evaluating and modifying the deal but the bottom line is Fleck wants to be here which is what him signing this deal should have proven yet we still have people talking about a "big time" program swooping in and taking him away.

He believes he can win championships at Minnesota, time for many of our fans to start believing the same instead of instantly assuming we will be playing second fiddle to the big boys.

I know it runs counter to everything we believe around here but maybe....just maybe....we hit a HR hire with a coach that is looking to become a legend at his chosen school and not just looking to chase job after job in search of more money and power.....I mean it is almost like we are a Big Ten school with tons of untapped resources at our disposal.....nah, no way that can be true.....

I would think all of his players are happy that he is staying so that they don't have to go through the process of getting a new coach they may not like. Relationships can be hard to build and Fleck is doing very well in this area.

Recruits also know he is going to be here as well. This should help in that he was getting notice to take over elsewhere. Meaning that hey, if Florida etc., wants this guy, he must be pretty good. Glad it worked out.

Unreal.....listen to the press conference...actually listen.....stop assuming that every coach is going to look only at $$$ and listen to what Fleck is saying.

He talks about wanting to be like Fry, Ferentz, Fitzgerald, Alvarez....former players coming back to the same head coach and continuing to support the program. He wants to be here for the long haul. I know we are conditioned to believe that all people care about is money but that doesn't always have to be the case.

Fleck and Coyle probably will keep evaluating and modifying the deal but the bottom line is Fleck wants to be here which is what him signing this deal should have proven yet we still have people talking about a "big time" program swooping in and taking him away.

He believes he can win championships at Minnesota, time for many of our fans to start believing the same instead of instantly assuming we will be playing second fiddle to the big boys.

I know it runs counter to everything we believe around here but maybe....just maybe....we hit a HR hire with a coach that is looking to become a legend at his chosen school and not just looking to chase job after job in search of more money and power.....I mean it is almost like we are a Big Ten school with tons of untapped resources at our disposal.....nah, no way that can be true.....

+100

The early signing period helps in this case, but it’s not out of the question that a team would wait until after their bowl game to fire a coach and/or have a handshake agreement in place with a new coach to wait until January.

If they have to wait...they will wait.

Agent could work out a deal long before anyone actually resigns.

Top Bottom