PSU Potbelly Kicker

Panthadad2

Reaction score
I'll just leave this nugget here. I totally forgot how PSU had a potbellied kicker that made a big name for himself by making splashy tackles against smaller nonconference foes.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.espn.com/core/video/iframe?id=17687526&endcard=false" allowfullscreen frameborder="0"></iframe>

That always cheesed me off. How can he be a tackler when he feels like it but an off-limits weenie kicker when he doesn't want to get hit? I hoped he straightened himself out, but I never felt sorry about his career coming to an end.

Everybody knows an obnoxious troll like that. Franklin probably put him up to it too.

That was a flop and he should have received a unsportsmanlike penalty .

I remember how annoyed I was that he flopped to get a targeting penalty and then got up like nothing happened.

If I remember correctly, pretty much everyone who wasn't a PSU fan though it was cheap and he got a lot of flack for it after our game. I believe the next week he was told to stop running down field to block and he didn't for the rest of the season . . .

That was so aggravating! I had great dislike for that guy.

That was a flop and he should have received a unsportsmanlike penalty .

If Waters (edited to correct name) wouldn't have thrown his hands up like he did something wrong and kept playing, nothing would have happened. It was a shoulder block against an open field player before the whistle.

It was an undeniably great classic flop by the PSU potbelly man though.

Last edited:

If Shenault wouldn't have thrown his hands up like he did something wrong and kept playing, nothing would have happened. It was a shoulder block against an open field player before the whistle.

Yeah Jaylen Waters only got flagged because Julius dropped like a 270 lb sack of crap from a plane. This is the sort of chicanery it took to beat Minnesota in OT in Happy Valley last time. These guys can be had.

He wanted to play with the big boys and make hits, but then as soon as someone gave him a taste of his own medicine, he couldn't take it. Sucked that we got a penalty there but I had no issue with that play.

The hit looked worse than what it was because when #99 Julius realized he was going to get hit, he started into a QB slide to avoid getting hit.

Still one of my favorite Gopher related pictures.

ctyp+gophers+dirty+hit.PNG

A superb forearm shiver against a dirty player that should have been called for head to head targeting on at least a couple kick returns in prior games, one that injured a Michigan KR IIRC.

Yeah Jaylen Waters only got flagged because Julius dropped like a 270 lb sack of crap from a plane. This is the sort of chicanery it took to beat Minnesota in OT in Happy Valley last time. These guys can be had.

Had to laugh at envisioning the bolded! After that dirty hit against the Michigan player the week before, both Minnesota then Maryland hunted him down. I doubt the potbelly kicker did any head hunting after that.

Come to think of it there might have been some discussion on whether the hit was before or after the fair catch or whistle, or both. I think it was determined it wasn’t definite and probably warranted either way. Take your base.

I loved that hit . He was a gigantic whiner flopper.

Favorite part was the Nittany crowd watching the kicker to see who he’d light up and then after he gets a taste of medicine the big boo goes up. Nobody would be watching a “normal” kicker. He liked the spotlight and it was a nice bit of theatrics at the end.

Come to think of it there might have been some discussion on whether the hit was before or after the fair catch or whistle, or both. I think it was determined it wasn’t definite and probably warranted either way. Take your base.

If only someone would post a link for the video of the play for us to see the kicker was 12 yards away at the time the whistle blew.

If only someone would post a link for the video of the play for us to see the kicker was 12 yards away at the time the whistle blew.

If Julius didn’t lead with his helmet and always go high (dating back to high school highlight reel IIRC) he’d probably get more sympathy. Obviously the penalty hurt MN more than it hurt Julius and certainly was perhaps “a tad” over the line. He’s a polarizing figure; I suppose PSU fans love him for his desire to mix it up which is also understandable. Hopefully he’s getting the psych help he needs.

If Waters (edited to correct name) wouldn't have thrown his hands up like he did something wrong and kept playing, nothing would have happened. It was a shoulder block against an open field player before the whistle.

He threw his hands up after the flag was thrown. My problem with Waters is he looked like he was expecting a flag right after the hit.

He threw his hands up after the flag was thrown. My problem with Waters is he looked like he was expecting a flag right after the hit.
I don't think he was expecting the flop and probably knew it would look bad.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom