How Twisted and Out of Touch Are Some PSU Fans??

WriterGoph

Reaction score
No, this is not about how over-confident their fans appear to be heading into Saturday. It's clear - due to our schedule and heavy run lean in the offense the past 4 games - they have no respect for the Gophers.

This is much more twisted. Perusing the Blue & White Illustrated site, I found a thread about putting Paterno's statue back up. I started reading it and I was shocked. There are actually fans on there saying that Sandusky was innocent and "got convicted by the media" and/or that it was all part of a larger conspiracy theory to take down PSU athletics.

Check it out for yourself: https://bwi.forums.rivals.com/threa...-bot-to-put-back-up-the-statue-of-joe.251519/

It's really sad that there are multiple people out there thinking like this.

The Paterno true believers are as abhorrent to many Penn St. fans as they are to us.

I am confident PJ will have his team mentally ready and that will be huge. If we can execute the game plan we will win and shut everyone up.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

They also believe the Warren Commission "single bullet" theory.

The Paterno true believers are as abhorrent to many Penn St. fans as they are to us.

I'm almost as shocked that the mods of that forum let that kind of stuff live on their board. Just really, really, REALLY a bad look for PSU fans from an outside perspective.

I didn't see that one (glad I didn't) but in terms of the game, I saw a mixed bag of "respect". Some were saying you have to respect any power 5 team that is 8-0 but plenty (i'd say even a majority) of opinions that the Gophers are bad simply because they haven't played a top 20 team yet. Also a lot of bravado about how the Gophers "haven't seen this kind of speed yet," which at face value might be true but these comments are mostly delivered in a way that suggests the Penn State players are super humans from outer space and are being dropped into TCF Bank Stadium by their spaceship to toy with the slow motion Gophers.

There is a whole thread about how there'd be a couple dozen undefeated teams if they could all play the Gophers' schedule.

All in all I get the feeling many on that board think they are Alabama in their best season.

This is the gem of the bunch:

"Now that’s funny, and the OJ jury got it right too right? Jerry Sandusky was convicted in the media before his sham of a trial ever even started. There was a 0% chance he would receive anything resembling a fair trial in the midst of the hysteria of late 2011-2012 in central PA, even someone whose accusers were as obviously fraudulent as Sandusky’s are. Anyone who has looked at this case with an open mind and no agenda agrees it is a total farce."

Obviously, there are some good, knowledgeable Penn State fans.

But there is also an extremely cultish element to Penn State that you don't see as much with other schools in the conference. Seems a large segment of Penn Staters actually believed they were inherently a superior brand due to having Joe Paterno and winning football games. Once that was questioned, lots of them reverted to truly cultish viewpoints to convince themselves the rest of the evil world was conspiring against them. Hilariously delusional and scary all at the same time. But, it's the world they need to create for themselves. For the rest of us, it's just sad.

From what i heard, they didn't take the statue down, they just moved it to the library. It's a reminder that at Penn State, you keep your mouth shut.

It was all a witch hunt folks. The likes of which you’ve never seen in the history of college football in the whole world since ever. Sad.

I'm almost as shocked that the mods of that forum let that kind of stuff live on their board. Just really, really, REALLY a bad look for PSU fans from an outside perspective.

My understanding is most Penn St fans just avoid those folks. Like they're this weird subset that nobody cares to get into it about.

Similar when the folks in here come in with their grand social commentary they got from crazy guy radio and they think that applies to ... ticket sales (or generally anything they don't like) ... those folks are so far gone they can't hear anything else but that weird idea echoing back to them in their head.

I've went over to one of their boards and it seems less like they don't respect our team, they just think they're leaps and bounds better. They will be in for a rude awakening if they go in too over confident.

I've went over to one of their boards and it seems less like they don't respect our team, they just think they're leaps and bounds better. They will be in for a rude awakening if they go in too over confident.

At this point. I wouldn't blame them for thinking that.

Hopefully this is a wired subculture within PSU. Nonetheless, it’s still dangerous. Because it is exactly the way Sandusky got away with it for so long. Perpetrating big crimes for a generation requires audacity and fierce enablers. Sandusky had both, and apparently still does.

Audacity makes a crime unbelievable to enablers. And once an enabler defends a criminal the first time, its just becomes harder and harder to turn-back because they will have become an accomplice to larger and larger crimes.

This is the gem of the bunch:

"Now that’s funny, and the OJ jury got it right too right? Jerry Sandusky was convicted in the media before his sham of a trial ever even started. There was a 0% chance he would receive anything resembling a fair trial in the midst of the hysteria of late 2011-2012 in central PA, even someone whose accusers were as obviously fraudulent as Sandusky’s are. Anyone who has looked at this case with an open mind and no agenda agrees it is a total farce."

He's not completely wrong, Sandusky never got anything close to fair trial, but he is guilty as hell of most the charges. Most believe there were some accusations that were fabricated to get Settlements since PSU was writing 7 figure Settlements like it was nothing, but he is a disgusting human being who should rot in jail for the rest of his life.

My buddy and I went to the Gopher game at PSU a few years back when we lost in OT. We walked their massive tailgate/RV scene before the game and we were shocked at how many "We Love JoePa" signs and the like there were throughout. We're talking dozens, at least. JoePa and his legacy is still very strong there.

Go Gophers!!

Obviously, there are some good, knowledgeable Penn State fans.

But there is also an extremely cultish element to Penn State that you don't see as much with other schools in the conference. Seems a large segment of Penn Staters actually believed they were inherently a superior brand due to having Joe Paterno and winning football games. Once that was questioned, lots of them reverted to truly cultish viewpoints to convince themselves the rest of the evil world was conspiring against them. Hilariously delusional and scary all at the same time. But, it's the world they need to create for themselves. For the rest of us, it's just sad.

Cult might be a bit strong, but I absolutely do think that -- now more than ever -- that Penn State alumni have a very "you're either with us, or against us" perception of the outside.

My buddy and I went to the Gopher game at PSU a few years back when we lost in OT. We walked their massive tailgate/RV scene before the game and we were shocked at how many "We Love JoePa" signs and the like there were throughout. We're talking dozens, at least. JoePa and his legacy is still very strong there.

Go Gophers!!

There's no denying JoePa was an incredible coach and inspirational leader that built the Penn State program to what it is now. That the terrible responsibility of keeping Sandusky around ultimately falls on him (and other Penn State leadership) doesn't change the great things he did historically. It is what it is.

There's no denying JoePa was an incredible coach and inspirational leader that built the Penn State program to what it is now. That the terrible responsibility of keeping Sandusky around ultimately falls on him (and other Penn State leadership) doesn't change the great things he did historically. It is what it is.

I am probably going to regret asking this. It is not an attempt to personally attack you or troll you, I swear.

But I have to ask: do you believe that the atrocities committed by Sandusky, do not change the fact that he was a great Defensive Coordinator who contributed to many wins for Penn State football?

JoPa ignored what he knew about Sandusky because he wanted to win football games. Yeah, I think being an absolutely terrible human being changes everything he did. Satan may have been a great football coach too - does it matter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As long as they keep idolizing JoePa and excusing Sandusky, the rest of the college football universe (especially SEC fans) will continue to refer to them as Pedophile State University and Joe Pedophile.

No, this is not about how over-confident their fans appear to be heading into Saturday. It's clear - due to our schedule and heavy run lean in the offense the past 4 games - they have no respect for the Gophers.

TALON - What dweebs are these Penn. State fans. After your first 3 games the Gophers have exploded against P5 teams. If they don't like your running game let them stop it. Both the Gophers and PS have very similar states and both score 38 PPG. your ground game has to worry PS. (SILLY OBSERVATION BY PS FANS))

I am confident PJ will have his team mentally ready and that will be huge. If we can execute the game plan we will win and shut everyone up.

TALON - I totally agree with the team being Mentally Prepared for this game. Both the Gopher coaches and Especially the Players know how important this game is for your season and moving into the top 10. If you can win this game and maintain your execution on offense & defense at the same level the last 3 games I dont see you guys being ranked any less than #5.

Friend of Gopher Football
www.gsufans.com

TALON

Last edited:

Paterno failed his duty to report Sandusky simply because he was from another era that did not believe things like that happened. He was also old at that time.
There was also a great deal of hubris because the PSU administration gave Paterno complete control of everything related to the team. The local police and DA were also compliant.
Happy Valley is pretty site for the campus but its isolation leads some students to have a very narrow view of the world.

TALON - What dweebs are these Penn. State fans. After your first 3 games the Gophers have exploded against P5 teams. If they don't like your running game let them stop it. Both the Gophers and PS have very similar states and both score 38 PPG. your ground game has to worry PS. (SILLY OBSERVATION BY PS FANS))

TALON - I totally agree with the team being Mentally Prepared for this game. Both the Gopher coaches and Especially the Players know how important this game is for your season and moving into the top 10. If you can win this game and maintain your execution on offense & defense at the same level the last 3 games I dont see you guys being ranked any less than #5.

Friend of Gopher Football
www.gsufans.com

TALON

If they think we are only a running team and want to load the box, I hope they do. They will quickly learn the hard way about Bateman, Johnson, and Autman-Bell.

Cult might be a bit strong, but I absolutely do think that -- now more than ever -- that Penn State alumni have a very "you're either with us, or against us" perception of the outside.

Tribalism is a powerful force.

PENN STATE STATS

Offense:
Total Yards: 424.4 vs Gophers at 430
Passing Yards: 252 vs Gophers at 225
Rushing Yards: 172.4 vs Gophers at 205
Points Scored: 38 vs Gophers 38ppg

Defense:
Total Yards: 280.5
Passing Yards: 211.6
Rushing Yards: 68.9
Points Allowed: 9.6

Gophers Team Stats

Offense:
Total Yards: 429.5
Passing Yards: 225
Rushing Yards: 204.5
Points Scored: 38.4

Defense:
Total Yards: 283.8
Passing Yards: 166.4
Rushing Yards: 117.4

If they think we are only a running team and want to load the box, I hope they do. They will quickly learn the hard way about Bateman, Johnson, and Autman-Bell.

The stats above dont prove the Penn. St. Fans statements out.

The Gophers seem to have a more balanced attack than Penn. State does while both teams have close to the same total YPG and same points, 38 scored per game

Last edited:

Top Bottom