***OFFICIAL CLEVELAND STATE AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

No Freeman tonight. That feels like a redshirt move to me. I would guess that is the deal unless we have an injury. I was really concerned about this team after the exhibition but tonight was far better. Really solid defensive position and team defense and I really like that we moved the ball quickly without a bunch of dribbling around. This will be a tough team to zone against with the shooters and the ability of Oturu to hit the face up 8-10 footer in the middle. I am starting to warm back up to this team. It would be a big, big help if Ihnen can give them some athleticism and shooting at the 4 spot.

If it was 2006, I would agree with the non-injury redshirt. This is 2019, we are way short of bodies, especially big ones, and rosters turnover so fast, it just doesn't seem worth a redshirt in most circumstances. I could see us getting caught off guard with just one injury. If the player wants to for his own development that's a different story. But we need bodies on the bench.

If it was 2006, I would agree with the non-injury redshirt. This is 2019, we are way short of bodies, especially big ones, and rosters turnover so fast, it just doesn't seem worth a redshirt in most circumstances. I could see us getting caught off guard with just one injury. If the player wants to for his own development that's a different story. But we need bodies on the bench.

Yes, I kind of agree. I just thought that if he was going to play this year, he'd have played last night.

I dream of an all-freshman Ihnen hitting threes from the PF spot with Carr, Willis, Gabe and Oturu. That would be a REALLY fun bunch to watch. Of course, he may have no clue as a freshman, but I can dream...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am right with you there brother!

Same exact thing was said about Brock Stull. Not all of Division 1 is created equal.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Seriously? Quite the astute observation. Either way the point is that to score that much in D1, it requires some skill and talent. High major D1 of course is a different level and I don't think anyone is coming in and expecting him to average 15 ppg, but to totally write him off is a little early. Not saying I'm optimistic, but still lets let it play out.

Way too early to make Brock Stull comparisons for Demir. He looked a little lost in the exhibition game, but I thought played much better last night (particularly the second half).

Willis looks likely to exceed expectations this year. Interesting....given how negative this board was on his recruitment two years ago.

I'm not in favor of sitting out Freeman this year with very few options in the front court.

Oturu staying healthy and out of foul trouble will largely determine this team's ceiling.

Way too early to make Brock Stull comparisons for Demir. He looked a little lost in the exhibition game, but I thought played much better last night (particularly the second half).

Willis looks likely to exceed expectations this year. Interesting....given how negative this board was on his recruitment two years ago.

I'm not in favor of sitting out Freeman this year with very few options in the front court.

Oturu staying healthy and out of foul trouble will largely determine this team's ceiling.

Spot on on all 4 points, with a special highlighting of Point #4.

After our shooting woes last year, the number of 3s we hit last night is mildly arousing.

After our shooting woes last year, the number of 3s we hit last night is mildly arousing.

And should give some people some more hope that this years team will be just as good if not better. We will score significantly different than last year.

And should give some people some more hope that this years team will be just as good if not better. We will score significantly different than last year.

It does give me more hope. I’m also mildly encouraged by what people said about Omersa’s play last night, and that Demir looked better in the second half. PF is our black hole, so we need those two (and a healed Ihnen) to fill that hole. I’m also concerned that Freeman never saw the court. What do we do when Oturu is on the bench? I’m not crazy about our other options.

When Oturu is out of the game Demir has to be able to create shots in the middle, he showed signs that he has that ability and hopefully it pans out. Without an inside threat the 3 point shots are easier to defend.

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Was at the game. There were bright spots, but overall this is not a good team. It's going to be a long season.

Doubtful, but the full highlights (more or less) are available on the BTN youtube page.

I watched replay on btn +
They have 2 more games that will be on btn+ so the 9.99 for the month was worth it to me.

Was at the game. There were bright spots, but overall this is not a good team. It's going to be a long season.

Nice recap - perfectly clear what their shortcomings are.
Very young team - one thing I liked was the form shooting threes - the rest of the team has seemed to pick up kalishaurs Methodology and shooting ethic. They can get hot and beat anybody , but it can go the other way also - it felt a little like Wisconsin likes to play.

Nice recap - perfectly clear what their shortcomings are.
Very young team - one thing I liked was the form shooting threes - the rest of the team has seemed to pick up kalishaurs Methodology and shooting ethic. They can get hot and beat anybody , but it can go the other way also - it felt a little like Wisconsin likes to play.

Never utter those words again! Blasphemy I say!

How can you justify this by one game against a terrible team? Specially the first game of the season?

Look at the roster. Now look at the rosters of the top half of the B1G. We'll be greatly out-manned most nights. I'm a big fan. I'm frustrated. We should be better than this in year 7.

Look at the roster. Now look at the rosters of the top half of the B1G. We'll be greatly out-manned most nights. I'm a big fan. I'm frustrated. We should be better than this in year 7.

Well, then relax and celebrate when we make the tourney.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is only one position with which I agree with you, power forward. We will not be greatly outmanned at the other other spots.

There is only one position with which I agree with you, power forward. We will not be greatly outmanned at the other other spots.

I think people misremember last year's team. That team was physically tough but only won one game by 28 - against Omaha. No other game was won by more than 20. They were not a dominant team and had a lot of flaws - most obviously shooting for one. I know that Cleveland State was bad - but hey we beat them by 35, that's pretty solid.

I agree! Apparently last year we had no bench or depth, but beat a solid purdue team 2 out of 3 and beat a really solid louisville team in tournament. People are gonna think were bad until they realize carr and willis are pretty good. Let's look at the next 3 games and see where were at rather than judge a team by 1 game, which by the way we blew out cleveland state. The haters were hoping we played like crsp, but still can complain about a huge blowout victory. I'm still pissed about all the gummies oturu missed early. Hes terrible. I'm sure hes gonna miss those all year and not make any improvements in his game lol

I think people misremember last year's team. That team was physically tough but only won one game by 28 - against Omaha. No other game was won by more than 20. They were not a dominant team and had a lot of flaws - most obviously shooting for one. I know that Cleveland State was bad - but hey we beat them by 35, that's pretty solid.

Shooting, ball movement, and position defense on last years team were poor. Those all will be significantly better this year. We are smaller which in the big 10 can be scary. I still see this as a tourney team

Top Bottom