Tanner Morgan is the key this Saturday.

How will Morgan respond to the B1G game?

• He is a zen master and will be fine!

Votes: 33 44.6%
  • Will start rough but pull through in the end with no mistakes.

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • Will have a few problems and produce at least 1 turnover.

Votes: 28 37.8%
  • Will look like Kirk Cousins facing Khalil Mack!

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters

Big Dan in the backfield?

That's in the Wisc only game plan, for a needless two-point conversion in the 4th qtr to go up by 23. When asked why, Fleck simply replies "Because we can..."

Remember, in college football sacks count as negative yards rushing.

So, add 28 yards per game rushing, and subtract 28 ypg passing to get the true defensive stats for Penn State.

In my opinion, if Morgan plays well the Gophers have a decent chance to win. And I think he has to play well. A poor game and I think MN is in for a long day.

He will have to pull it down a few times

He is going to have to pull the ball down a few times and take those outside zone runs if the DE or linebacker crashes down. I don't expect him to do it a lot or even often, but when it is obvious they are going to pile on the running back or no cutback lane is available he is going to have to take the outside zone and get 8-10 yards at least 3 to 4 times this game to keep them honoring the QB option. I don't like it but it will be necessary. Get down and no blows to the head.

The strength of the Penn State defense is supposed to be their run defense.

I'm no coaching genius, but I have to wonder: If Minnesota can pound them running the ball — just physically dominate — it might very well be game over. Neutralize their strength.

I'm thinking the Gopher coaches might use a similar plan to the one they used against Wisconsin in Madison last season. Just grind them, push them around, lean on them, and then, when Penn State is forced to commit extra bodies to stopping the run, dagger them with Bateman, Johnson, Autman-Bell over the top.

Last edited:

In my opinion, if Morgan plays well the Gophers have a decent chance to win. And I think he has to play well. A poor game and I think MN is in for a long day.

For me it is more the o-line. Tanner just needs a Wisconsin like game if Gophs can get the run blocking going.

I think this is the game where we unleash the TEs.

Have they really faced a dominant Run game yet? I mean Michigan has a solid run game with the Charbonnet kid - I believe he went for nearly 100 yards. With the elite DT for them suspended, there is a good chance our 3-headed monster (R. Smith, Brooks, Mo) could really wear them down. It will take some time, but we will gash them and then Tanner will need to hit the Slant patterns 100%. No incompetitions and no drops by WR's, IMHO

Good thing we have run the slant pattern a few times this season. TJ will have to not spot a few drops and would love some TE routes.

I'm no coaching genius, but I have to wonder: If Minnesota can pound them running the ball — just physically dominate — it might very well be game over. Neutralize their strength.

I'm thinking the Gopher coaches might use a similar plan to the one they used against Wisconsin in Madison last season. Just grind them, push them around, lean on them, and then, when Penn State is forced to commit extra bodies to stopping the run, dagger them with Bateman, Johnson, Autman-Bell over the top.

Bateman, Johnson, and Autman-Bell should all have big days. Heck Pitt, who averages 250 yog passing was able to rack up 372 passing yards on Penn St.

Last edited:

I'm no coaching genius, but I have to wonder: If Minnesota can pound them running the ball — just physically dominate it might very well be game over. Neutralize their strength.

You could say that about pretty much every team in the country, but good luck doing that against PSU's front 7.

You could say that about pretty much every team in the country, but good luck doing that against PSU's front 7.

It will certainly be a test. What would you say is the best offense you’ve seen this season? I’m not sure I see a lot on the schedule thus far. Michigan was mightily struggling early on with a new offense, MSU is struggling, Iowa is Iowa.

I think the game hangs on our ability to get push in the run game. That’s the best way to neutralize the speed on their defensive line and that’s been the way we beat WI, GT, IL, MD, RU, and NE within current win streak. We can win other ways, but I think the stat to watch is rushing yards - If we get 175+ We should win. If we are held anywhere close to their season average, we will need to play flawless in almost every other facet of the game.

It will certainly be a test. What would you say is the best offense you’ve seen this season? I’m not sure I see a lot on the schedule thus far. Michigan was mightily struggling early on with a new offense, MSU is struggling, Iowa is Iowa.

Michigan did a good job of picking up our blitzes. When the PSU defense has struggled under Brent Pry it has been when they haven't been able to get to the QB when blitzing. Schematically I don't think Michigan did anything special, they just executed. But at the same time, Michigan only scored 21 points. With all the talk of how well they played in the second half vs us, they only scored 14 points.

Spyker,

Congratulations on your team's strong showing in the CFP poll. I'm a diehard Gopher fan, but I love the fact that there are two B1G teams in the Top 4.

This is the game where Rodney Smith gets his first receiving TD.

Michigan did a good job of picking up our blitzes. When the PSU defense has struggled under Brent Pry it has been when they haven't been able to get to the QB when blitzing. Schematically I don't think Michigan did anything special, they just executed. But at the same time, Michigan only scored 21 points. With all the talk of how well they played in the second half vs us, they only scored 14 points.

So here is the thing about only scoring 21 points total and 14 points in the second half. PSU offense is non existent in the second half.
PSU offense against:
Pitt - 10 1st, 7 2nd
Purdue - 28 1st (21 in q1), 7 2nd
Iowa - 7 1st, 10 2nd
Mich - 21 1st, 7 2nd
Mich St - 21 1st, 7 2nd

Total 87 1st, 38 2nd

Pretty much every team on that list stuffs the Penn St offense after halftime. If the gophers can go into the half being down by only 1 score or better. I like their chances.

I also like their chance because they are balanced and I don’t think the Penn St secondary can match up with our 3 receivers. Particularly Autman-Bell who will require the attention of at least 1 lb taking from their vaunted front 7 and opening up some room for Mt Rushmore.

Balance of Minnesota
Passing = 225 ypg, Rushing = 205 ypg (yet Penn St fans thing we are a rushing team, lol)

Pitt- passing = 249 ypg, Rushing = 131 ypg, Points = 21 ppg
Purdue - passing = 301 ypg, Rushing = 77 ypg, points = 25 ppg
Iowa - passing = 247, Rushing = 146 ypg, points = 24 ppg
Mich - passing = 219 ypg, rushing = 171 ypg, points= 32 ppg
Mich St - passing = 233 ypg, rushing = 113 ypg, points = 22 ppg

Opponents Offense vs PSU Defense

Pitt- passing = 372 y, rushing = 24y, points = 10
Purdue - passing = 123 y, rushing = -19y, points = 7
Iowa - passing = 286 y, rushing = 70, points = 12
Mich - passing = 276 y, rushing = 141, points = 21
Mich St - passing = 182 y, rushing = 83, points = 7

Last edited:

I think our Oline and running game will be the key. If we can't run at all it will be really hard for the Oline to pass protect Morgan on every 3rd and long situation.

I think we will see a lot of creative plays on 1st and 2nd downs. No more holding the playbook back. Time to use every page!

How did Buffalo get 180 yards rushing against Penn State earlier this year?
58 rushing attempts?

Buffalo had the ball for 42 minutes!

(Lost 45-13)

58 rushing attempts?

(Lost 45-13)

Penn State scored very quickly in their possessions and left their defense on the field too long. A tired defense is a bad defense.

58 rushing attempts?

(Lost 45-13)

Buffalo was actually leading 10-7 at the half, and outgained PSU 429-357. Weird game.

Last edited:

I think our Oline and running game will be the key. If we can't run at all it will be really hard for the Oline to pass protect Morgan on every 3rd and long situation.

I think we will see a lot of creative plays on 1st and 2nd downs. No more holding the playbook back. Time to use every page!
Penn St is stingy in the red zone. Their d appears to exemplify the “bend but don’t break” defense.

I suspect they allow passing yards to be racked up in the underneath stuff, but keep the receivers in front of them.

I think the key to success will be Johnson, And Bateman. Can they spread the field enough to allow Autman-Bell to make bigger plays with the “underneath” stuff. Can they spread the field enough to have Lbs drop back opening up the running lanes? Can they spread the field enough and get seperation so that if Morgan sees only one on one, he is able to deliver allowing them to take it to the house?

The other option, is can we move the ball in the red zone? Can we run the ball inside the 10, 5 yard lines?

I can't really explain PSU's second half struggles offensively. Franklin definitely has a tendency to get conservative with the lead which we've seen dating back to the Rose Bowl vs USC. It is also a ridiculously young offense. All of their first and second string skill players are freshman and sophomores other than back up Tight End Nick Bowers. All but 2 TD's scored this year have been by freshman and sophomores, so I'm sure their youth is part of the inconsistency we have see on offense.

As for the defense, when you can shut down the opponent's run game and make them one dimensional, you are going to give up some yards through the air. It would be surprising if Minnesota has sustained success running the ball vs PSU. If they are able to, and they would be the first team to do so, then Minnesota will be able to put up some points.

. It would be surprising if Minnesota has sustained success running the ball vs PSU. If they are able to, and they would be the first team to do so, then Minnesota will be able to put up some points.

It wouldn’t be the first team, Michigan had success, pretty much hit their season average. Michigan was also the most balanced of the other B1G teams Penn St has played, next to Minnesota.

We arn’t as talented as Mich (based on recruiting ranking, etc), but I think we execute better. The question comes down, in my mind, is can we either find away to punch it in when we are in the red zone (we will get there), or if not, can we generate enough big plays were our scores come from outside the red zone.

Last edited:

Assuming good execution by th players PSU has to know we can break the game open via the air and need to account for that. The question is whether that threat will even numbers enough to allow for the ground game to get going. Can our guys handle their guys in the trenches? I don’t know but it’s going to be interesting to watch. This is definitely a step up in competition. If the offense is hitting on all cylinders PSU will have their hands full.

I can't really explain PSU's second half struggles offensively. Franklin definitely has a tendency to get conservative with the lead which we've seen dating back to the Rose Bowl vs USC. It is also a ridiculously young offense. All of their first and second string skill players are freshman and sophomores other than back up Tight End Nick Bowers. All but 2 TD's scored this year have been by freshman and sophomores, so I'm sure their youth is part of the inconsistency we have see on offense.

As for the defense, when you can shut down the opponent's run game and make them one dimensional, you are going to give up some yards through the air. It would be surprising if Minnesota has sustained success running the ball vs PSU. If they are able to, and they would be the first team to do so, then Minnesota will be able to put up some points.

Yeah, I was going to say PSU tends to get conservative with that defense. I think TOP could be an issue for PSU if it follows the team averages so far. Gophs have the ability to grind it out or strike quickly on offense. Several times this year they have struck quickly, after a quick stop on defense, having just gone on a long grinding drive the possession before.

Tanner Morgan is the key ....... to the season.

Fleck has a QB. Having a QB is critical to having success. Morgan is the man. He can be the Big Ten offensive player of the year. Has a great cast around him too, of course.

Assuming the rest of this season goes decently well, and he stays healthy/continues making good decisions, I can't possibly see him not being the starter the next two seasons as well.

Yeah, I was going to say PSU tends to get conservative with that defense. I think TOP could be an issue for PSU if it follows the team averages so far. Gophs have the ability to grind it out or strike quickly on offense. Several times this year they have struck quickly, after a quick stop on defense, having just gone on a long grinding drive the possession before.

Franklin doesn't care about TOP. He says that pretty much every week in his press conferences. He went into the game vs Michigan saying the way to beat Michigan is taking deep shots down field. We hit some early, and hit one in the second half when we needed to. As much as the offense "struggled" they still put up 28 points on a very good defense. There was a touchdown called back in the second half. There were two other deep shots in the second half that were open that Clifford just missed. That could have been another 13-21. If we execute on those 3 plays, no one is talking about how PSU struggled on offense or the resurgence of Michigan.

Back to the TOP topic, Franklin knows his offense can potentially increase the snap counts for his defense so he rotates a ton of guys on defense at all 3 levels.

Top Bottom