Gophers Football story on sleep on MPR

WorkingMyTailOff

Reaction score
The Gophers football team is enjoying the best start to a season in decades, and one reason why could be better sleep.
University of Minnesota players are college students, too — juggling classes, exams and homework as well as practices and travel to road games.
“We have practice in the mornings, so then we have to go to class in the afternoon. If you didn't get a good night's sleep, it's really hard to really focus as much as you need to, or even stay in class,” said Minnesota punter Jacob Herbers.
A fifth-year senior, Herbers eventually wants to work in the medical field. He watched his teammates and coaches focus on nutrition and mental health awareness, but not on sleep, which can affect both of those. Before this season, Herbers approached Dr. Michael Howell, the medical director of the Fairview Sleep Center.
“Anything that gives you a 5 to 8 percent edge in high-performance athletics goes a very, very long way — and that's what we can expect with people sleeping better,” Howell said.

read more
https://www.mprnews.org/story/2019/11/05/football-gophers-drill-down-on-sleep

MPR sets out to do a sports story and it ends up being about the sleep habits of a punter. Just what I would expect from public radio.

I love me some public radio too (good source for news), but I thought it was very funny that this is the topic they would pick during this great run. That being said anything positive that gets Gopher football in front of a different audience is a good thing. Most of my friends that are clueless about Gopher sports probably heard this story on the radio this morning.

I love me some public radio too (good source for news), but I thought it was very funny that this is the topic they would pick during this great run. That being said anything positive that gets Gopher football in front of a different audience is a good thing. Most of my friends that are clueless about Gopher sports probably heard this story on the radio this morning.

Agreed. This fan base complains about lack of coverage, and then there is a unique story on a different type of outlet and we complain.

gotta love when the punter can find other ways to be involved! ELITE

I wouldn't doubt it. I've been keeping myself to a better sleep schedule in the last month or so (as much as I can) and it has made a noticeable difference in my energy throughout the week.

I wouldn't doubt it. I've been keeping myself to a better sleep schedule in the last month or so (as much as I can) and it has made a noticeable difference in my energy throughout the week.

I'm just an office worker, but I feel it too. It must be hard for the players to sleep before a big game though.

MPR sets out to do a sports story and it ends up being about the sleep habits of a punter. Just what I would expect from public radio.

Know your audience. No one goes to MPR for sports. It does show, though, how PJ is thinking outside the box and open to new ideas when it comes to player development.

Know your audience. No one goes to MPR for sports. It does show, though, how PJ is thinking outside the box and open to new ideas when it comes to player development.

Plus, it's good to get another type of story on the team. Plenty of other news/sports outlets can and have done stories covering all of the players, stats, rankings, coaching styles, etc. Good to take another angle sometimes.

Exactly. This would be the only way many Minnesotans would know the great story that is Gopher football this year.

Don't you mean KNOW your audience? I think it is a great article showing how this ties directly to athletic readiness and success.

Does Herbers get the Peter Mortell "Sleeper of the Year" trophy?

Don't you mean KNOW your audience? I think it is a great article showing how this ties directly to athletic readiness and success.

What? Isn't that what I said? I must have missed something...

Top Bottom