STrib: Gophers, football coach P.J. Fleck nearing a contract extension

Find someone to talk to. There is help out there. You're not alone during this difficult time.

Of course not. Ozzy has Ray to talk to. And Ray has Ozzy to talk to.

Just wanted to say I called this a few weeks ago. Sign him now. Will get even more momentum going into the Penn State game. Lock him up and the Gophers win on Saturday? Vikings become obsolete for the rest of the season and the construction of PJ Fleck's statue will begin.

Anyone listening to the radio show just heard Fleck state emphatically he plans to be here for a long time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As others noted, the real issue involves the terms of the buyout. If the U is going to commit big $ to keep Fleck, they need at least some security that he is going to be around for a while - in terms of a significant buyout clause that would make it less attractive for him to leave - or make it harder for another school to foot the bill for the buyout.

Plenty of coaches sign extensions and leave within a year or two. It's just the nature of the business. Glen Mason famously said he would "answer the phone" if the right school called with an offer.

Unfortunately for Gopher Fans, I suspect you will continue to see Fleck's name tied to any major job opening - no matter what the terms of an extension might be. It's just something you'll have to live with.

It beats having a coach of an average program who is never mentioned as a candidate for other jobs.

We definitely wouldn't be favored to win at Iowa if we played them this week. ESPN's FPI and I think most other metrics have us as dogs in all 3 games.

But as long as we win one out of the next 5 then and finish 9-4 I'd say Fleck definitely deserves an extension.

SP+ has us as favorites in both right now.
We would be:
@IOWA: -3.0
vWIS: -1.5

I also have us as +1.6 vPSU so maybe I'm just drinking a little too much kool aid ;)

Right now my predicted win total (including a potential bowl game) is 11.

Last edited:

RtB is stupid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then please, make sure you never take a seat in it. No room for those who don’t believe in and support the program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom