STrib: Gophers, football coach P.J. Fleck nearing a contract extension

The fact that he could sign a deal right now before allowing a bidding war tells me he wants to stay and the money isn’t quite the priority in his decision making on this. Maybe this is where he really sees himself. I’d like to believe his first press conference after being hired wasn’t all just him blowing smoke up our asses about this being his dream job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the feeling I get too. They both put their cards on the table and said this is a fair price and duration-whatever it is. Money isn't everything and as long he's comfortable financially, (4-5 mil is pretty comfortable, or whatever the amount is), and he gets to run the show his way, it sounds they both saw eye to eye and realize the same goals.

He signed an extension at WMU as well. Doesn’t mean anything, and stupid to do before he likely loses three of four down the stretch.

Losing 3 of the last 4 is not the most likely outcome. If we were playing Wisconsin or Iowa this week then we would be favored.

It makes far more sense to lock down Fleck now. If he wins this game then the price tag is going to skyrocket. If he loses then we've locked down a pretty good coach, recruiter, and leader for this football team. I was skeptical about his 'culture change' narrative, but now that I've seen the results, I am amazed.

Fewer turnovers, no penalties, an efficient passing attack, very little off-field drama, constantly controlled media narrative around the team. The dude is a wizard.

I'm really glad to see that both the U and Fleck appear to be handling this situation in a very professional manner.

No drama, no bidding wars, no brinksmanship.

They seem to be recognizing and acknowledging their common interests, and moving toward the realization of shared goals, like mature adults.

Kudos!

I'm really glad to see that both the U and Fleck appear to be handling this situation in a very professional manner.

No drama, no bidding wars, no brinksmanship.

They seem to be recognizing and acknowledging their common interests, and moving toward the realization of shared goals, like mature adults.

Kudos!

You and I have been for this the last few weeks and I am glad to see this getting done. If they do not move on a raise and extension other schools will use the uncertainty and tell recruits he is gone after the year - look at everyone rumored to be going after him. I would be surprised if schools aren't using tactics like this already, to be honest.

Fleck is already a hot name, and so is Tom Allen from Indiana. They also should be taking steps to lock him down or they will be linked to job after job. If you wait until the end of the year you get the boosters and AD's from the big time schools that didn't have a great year and they are all talking about who could we get to replace our coach. Someone who is dynamic, winning and specializes in restoring programs, especially at a higher level. Someone who might be interested in taking his show to a bigger stage with more money behind them. It's tough to say no to a school offering a hefty raise, more prestige and built in recruiting advantages.

I know some here would rather wait until the end of the season but that is simply too late. If you get a guy that looks like he is going to take this to the next level and get some serious mojo and momentum, you have to lock him down and do whatever it takes to keep him here.

You and I have been for this the last few weeks and I am glad to see this getting done. If they do not move on a raise and extension other schools will use the uncertainty and tell recruits he is gone after the year - look at everyone rumored to be going after him. I would be surprised if schools aren't using tactics like this already, to be honest.

Fleck is already a hot name, and so is Tom Allen from Indiana. They also should be taking steps to lock him down or they will be linked to job after job. If you wait until the end of the year you get the boosters and AD's from the big time schools that didn't have a great year and they are all talking about who could we get to replace our coach. Someone who is dynamic, winning and specializes in restoring programs, especially at a higher level. Someone who might be interested in taking his show to a bigger stage with more money behind them. It's tough to say no to a school offering a hefty raise, more prestige and built in recruiting advantages.

I know some here would rather wait until the end of the season but that is simply too late. If you get a guy that looks like he is going to take this to the next level and get some serious mojo and momentum, you have to lock him down and do whatever it takes to keep him here.

Great post, excellent points. Well-argued.

I’m glad he is getting the extension - regardless of how the last 4 games go. There seems to be something here that we should fight to hold on to. With that said, contract extensions (or contracts, really) don’t hold a coach any stronger in themselves —- the buyout is really what matters. I’ll be more interested in what happens with that than in the years/pay rate.

This is no time to reduce ticket prices - pay the man!

He signed an extension at WMU as well. Doesn’t mean anything, and stupid to do before he likely loses three of four down the stretch.

Wrong.

Buck up, friend. I'm sure this season has been terrible for you, but it too shall pass.

I’m glad he is getting the extension - regardless of how the last 4 games go. There seems to be something here that we should fight to hold on to. With that said, contract extensions (or contracts, really) don’t hold a coach any stronger in themselves —- the buyout is really what matters. I’ll be more interested in what happens with that than in the years/pay rate.

So if the contract buyout has a single school exception to the buyout you would be suspicious? Asking for my friend LH.

I totally get that the SEC is the premier football conference and that Michigan and Ohio State are Michigan and Ohio State. That said, as far as program potential goes, what's a bigger stage than a Big Ten program with tens of thousands in enrollment in a metropolitan area of nearly 3 million with seven national titles in its history? We've never been inclined to think this way, but Fleck has always talked this way. Why wouldn't he be genuine about it?

Even if we lose by 18+ to PSU it is wrong to deny the man an extension. We have not experiences this rarified air since the Johnson administration.

Should of locked up Holtz too.

Not paying attention to history dooms you to being a victim in the present.

Even if we lose by 18+ to PSU it is wrong to deny the man an extension. We have not experiences this rarified air since the Johnson administration.

Should of locked up Holtz too.

Not paying attention to history dooms you to being a victim in the present.

Who has said he is being denied or won't get an extension?

Pay him the 5+ million it will take, pay his assistants, increase recruiting $. Add on a big buyout. We are on the cusp of something big. It’s time to put the “also ran/door mat” days behind us. This is the next step needed to wake up the giant.

Huh? This is brilliant right before he loses three of four down the stretch.

Fleck wants it done now for one reason. RECRUITING! Coaches are telling recruits he isn't going to stick around. If he can't recruit he will go backwards and be a less attractive coaching candidate. Many factors in when to get a deal done.

RtB is stupid

You are just a true ray of sunshine aren't you?

Ozzy & Ray's opinion aside, I am glad to hear an extension is already in the works. Not surprised one bit to read that it is.

I believe Fleck when he says he loves it here and I also think as others have pointed out he sees a potential here to turn this program into a legit title contender. There are some built in disadvantages here but Fleck seems like the kind of coach who can get over those hurdles to do something special.

Fleck is all about recruiting so makes sense that if he wants to stay here that he would want to get this done sooner rather than later. That way he can go out on the recruiting trail and tell kids that he is committed to being at the U of M for the long haul regardless of who comes calling.

Give him an extension, pay bump, money for assistants and jack the buyout to a number that will make other schools think really hard about if they want to come after him.

Losing 3 of the last 4 is not the most likely outcome. If we were playing Wisconsin or Iowa this week then we would be favored.

It makes far more sense to lock down Fleck now. If he wins this game then the price tag is going to skyrocket. If he loses then we've locked down a pretty good coach, recruiter, and leader for this football team. I was skeptical about his 'culture change' narrative, but now that I've seen the results, I am amazed.

Fewer turnovers, no penalties, an efficient passing attack, very little off-field drama, constantly controlled media narrative around the team. The dude is a wizard.

We definitely wouldn't be favored to win at Iowa if we played them this week. ESPN's FPI and I think most other metrics have us as dogs in all 3 games.

But as long as we win one out of the next 5 then and finish 9-4 I'd say Fleck definitely deserves an extension.

Not that it is any big deal, but his agent it Bryan Harlan. Worked for the Bears at one time.

The level of insecurity harbored by Minnesotans is clinical. Universities with the budget, size, history and athletic facilities of MN RARELY lose a coach unless there is some mutuality to the departure. These aren't the '85 Gophers.

FWIW, I spoke to some people this summer whose son has some medical issues and regularly has to go to the U Children's hospital for treatment. Due to their work with the hospital, they have become friends with the Flecks. I asked them (obviously before this season) what they thought. They did not think that the family had a lot of interest in up and moving again anytime soon. They truly do like it here and are very involved with the community. Of course money talks, but they didn't think that was a motivating factor.

I could be way off base, but that's from people who know the family personally.

Interesting move by Fleck to sign right now instead of seeing whether he could spark a bidding war in December.

If he wants to stay (or even if he just thinks that he might), it's important for recruiting that he not just let the speculation about other jobs linger for the next month as the early signing period approaches. That's true even if he doesn't actually sign anything or the contact has an easy out. I am fairly certain that any job opening for which he'd seriously consider leaving Minnesota is from a place that wouldn't have trouble meeting or exceeding whatever we'd pay.

If they're willing to give him the same or a similar extension as Brohm got, that's pretty dang good and he wouldn't need a bidding war.

Can't wait to learn the details.

Based on the market for coaches an extension was earned, I doubt if the right offer comes along it will make any difference though, I would keep an eye on the USC job at the end of the season.

Top Bottom