STrib: Gophers, football coach P.J. Fleck nearing a contract extension

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Joe:

P.J. Fleck is about to be rewarded for leading the Gophers to their best start to a season in nearly 80 years.

A new deal for the Gophers coach is in the works, a source with knowledge of the situation said Monday evening, and is close to being done.

The source would not disclose specifics of the negotiations, just that Fleck and the Gophers have been in discussions for awhile and are quite far along in the process. Athletics director Mark Coyle could not be reached for comment. Fleck’s agent, Bryan Harlan, declined to comment on the matter.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-football-coach-p-j-fleck-nearing-a-contract-extension/564469462/

Go Gophers!!

Hallelujah!!!

Interesting move by Fleck to sign right now instead of seeing whether he could spark a bidding war in December.

Get it done! Would love to see recruiting hit a new gear with a historic season and Fleck locked into the fold for years to come. This appears to be great news just as all the Fleck speculation heats up.

Row the damn boat!

Hopefully all the FSU/USC fans will shut up now

Whatever the extension is, double it.

Whatever the buyout is, triple it.

Also from the article....

Fleck is among the coaches Florida State has inquired about, for example, since firing coach Willie Taggart on Sunday, a source told the Star Tribune.

He signed an extension at WMU as well. Doesn’t mean anything, and stupid to do before he likely loses three of four down the stretch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also from the article....

Fleck is among the coaches Florida State has inquired about, for example, since firing coach Willie Taggart on Sunday, a source told the Star Tribune.

They probably inquired about 10-20 coaches.

I believe if he signs an extension with a Big 10 school he will honor it. Quite a bit of difference from a MAC school. No doubt he is enjoying life within the Twin Cities along with his wife. Feels welcome and has many friends here. He will sign and respect the agreement.

I believe if he signs an extension with a Big 10 school he will honor it. Quite a bit of difference from a MAC school. No doubt he is enjoying life within the Twin Cities along with his wife. Feels welcome and has many friends here. He will sign and respect the agreement.

Even if he wanted to jump ship, I'm expecting any buyout on his second contract will be absurd for the next few years.

That being said, he seems to be very happy here and I don't see him leaving anytime soon as long as we take care of him.

He signed an extension at WMU as well. Doesn’t mean anything, and stupid to do before he likely loses three of four down the stretch.

Great seeing you Ozzy! Enjoying the ride I see

Who’s tailgating with Ozzy before the big game? Should be a blast!

Also, kind of pissed at the r/cfb mods right now who just deleted the thread on this article without warning. A similar thread has been up for hours related to Indiana's HC.

He did not

You’re both inaccurate. Fleck was given an extension after the 2014 season, 2 years of which were honored, so you aren’t correct. O&R implies that Fleck signed an extension soon before we signed him away from WMU. While WMU put together an unbelievable package to try and keep him he did not sign it.

You’re both inaccurate. Fleck was given an extension after the 2014 season, 2 years of which were honored, so you aren’t correct. O&R implies that Fleck signed an extension soon before we signed him away from WMU. While WMU put together an unbelievable package to try and keep him he did not sign it.

I am aware of the extension from 2014 but it's irrelevant to the context.

Leaving WMU is not the same as leaving Minnesota.

WMU wasn’t going to pay him $5+ million. Gophers can and should.

I was wrong, flat wrong. I can admit it. I said they wouldn’t do until the end of the season and that it would be a distraction during the season. I was wrong on both counts.

How big do you think it is? I would guess at least 4 years 22 million?

I would gamble and wait until the game this weekend. If he wins, he gains a ton of leverage.

But if we get blown out, his case becomes a tad weaker. I think there's more to gain than lose, though.

Lol!

Will this contract get him back to what he was making before taking a pay cut to come here?

Hallelujah!!!

Interesting move by Fleck to sign right now instead of seeing whether he could spark a bidding war in December.

The fact that he could sign a deal right now before allowing a bidding war tells me he wants to stay and the money isn’t quite the priority in his decision making on this. Maybe this is where he really sees himself. I’d like to believe his first press conference after being hired wasn’t all just him blowing smoke up our asses about this being his dream job.

before he signs ill make you guys this offer. Ferentz for Fleck straight up. Fleck may be a tad annoying, but annoying > boring.

I wouldn't be surprised if hefty raises to keep the key assistance coaches and support staff here long term are part of the deal plus a larger recruiting budget. I am really glad Kirk Ciarrocca did not jump ship.

IMHO, both Mark Coyle and PJ Fleck see eye to eye about going for a National Title as their ultimate goal. Mark Coyle is one of the reasons why PJ Fleck took the job at the U.

They put forth together a common vision. They are laying the foundations to get there. This is a big part of the reason why PJ Fleck would want to stay here. He wants to write his own legacy by winning national title(s) and be in a place where there are no unrealistic expectation and pressures of places like FSU and other big name schools.

Last edited:

before he signs ill make you guys this offer. Ferentz for Fleck straight up. Fleck may be a tad annoying, but annoying > boring.

I don’t know about a trade, but you should keep him. He manages to get the most of his top 30-40 classes. Could be worse.

Top Bottom