2019 College Football Coach Fired/Hired Thread

BleedGopher

Reaction score
I know there is a Taggart thread already created, but wanted to create our annual fire/hire thread.

Florida State chimes in:

Florida State fired coach Willie Taggart on Sunday, ending his tenure with the Seminoles after only 21 games.

Under Taggart, the Seminoles showed little to no progress, and an embarrassing 27-10 loss to rival Miami on Saturday made it clear to administrators they had to make a change. Florida State dropped to 4-5 and needs wins in two of its final three games just to get back to bowl eligibility.

"I think very highly of Coach Taggart and wish him well, but in the interest of the university we had no choice but to make a change," Florida State University president John Thrasher said. "We will support our student-athletes in every way and do all we can to return to the winning tradition that is Seminole football."

FSU raised about $20 million in private donations to buy out what was left of Taggart's contract, sources told ESPN's Mark Schlabach. However, an FSU official denied that the money was raised for Taggart's buyout.

Under the terms of Taggart's six-year, $30 million contract, FSU's athletic department will owe him 85% of his remaining compensation through Jan. 31, 2024, which is between $17 million and $18 million. The Seminoles also paid Oregon a $3 million buyout when it hired him away from the Ducks in December 2017, as well as the remaining $1.3 million of a buyout that Oregon owed South Florida when it hired him in December 2016.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27999505/florida-state-fires-willie-taggart

Go Gophers!!

Correction. FSU was not first. Rutgers beat them to it.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Correction. FSU was not first. Rutgers beat them to it.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Good catch.

Rutgers was first out of the gate:

Chris Ash was fired as Rutgers football coach after three seasons plus four games, athletic director Pat Hobbs announced Sunday afternoon in a press release.

"We appreciate Chris's dedicated efforts on behalf of our football program, our department and our University," Hobbs said. "This change is especially difficult because of the steadfast commitment that Chris and his family have made to our student-athletes.''

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...is-ash-head-football-coach-sunday/3813676002/

Go Gophers!!

New Mexico chimes in:

New Mexico, coach Bob Davie to part ways at season's end

New Mexico coach Bob Davie will not return as the Lobos' football coach in 2020, the school announced Monday.

Davie, who is 35-63 since taking over in November 2011, will coach the Lobos (2-9, 0-7 Mountain West) in the regular-season finale against Utah State on Saturday

Go Gophers!!

UNLV chimes in:

Tony Sanchez to coach final game at UNLV on Saturday

UNLV will part ways with coach Tony Sanchez after Saturday's season finale, the school announced Monday.

Sanchez is 19-40 in five seasons with the Rebels, who are 3-8 this season. UNLV failed to make a bowl game during Sanchez's tenure and are 12-27 in Mountain West play during that time. Sanchez will coach in Saturday's finale at Nevada.

Go Gophers!!

UNLV chimes in:

UNLV will part ways with coach Tony Sanchez after Saturday's season finale, the school announced Monday.

Sanchez is 19-40 in five seasons with the Rebels, who are 3-8 this season. UNLV failed to make a bowl game during Sanchez's tenure and are 12-27 in Mountain West play during that time. Sanchez will coach in Saturday's finale at Nevada.

Go Gophers!!

Beating Vandy couldn’t keep his job. Yet, vandy is keeping D. Mason around for another year. I’m shocked Vandy’s new AD didn’t cut bait but I guess they don’t want to pay 2 basketball coaches & 2 football coaches.

UNLV chimes in:

Go Gophers!!

That's a bummer. I've been following his career closely because UNLV decided to test their luck by going the HS head coach route (a la Gerry Faust) and I was really hoping it would work out for them. I always applaud schools taking a risk outside of conventional wisdom like hiring retreads who already failed previous chances. Plus, Sanchez was a phenomenon in the HS ranks - at Vegas powerhouse Bishop Gorman, he won six state titles in six years and finished with a record of 85-5 overall, 37-0 in conference.

Odom out at Missouri. That's a tough job.

Now USC firing Clay Helton. USC finished strong but not good enough.

Hopefully both AD's already know who they want. firing without a solid hire is never a good look.

That's a bummer. I've been following his career closely because UNLV decided to test their luck by going the HS head coach route (a la Gerry Faust) and I was really hoping it would work out for them. I always applaud schools taking a risk outside of conventional wisdom like hiring retreads who already failed previous chances. Plus, Sanchez was a phenomenon in the HS ranks - at Vegas powerhouse Bishop Gorman, he won six state titles in six years and finished with a record of 85-5 overall, 37-0 in conference.

I had high hopes as well. This town would be so much more fun if the football team had a team worth watching. It's bad enough the basketball team has fallen off as far as they have.

UNLV may surprise and get a decent name for football. There are new facilities in the works for the football team on campus; the Fertitta Football Complex (take a wild guess who is putting up the money for that operation). Actually, it would be cool to see the Fertittas acquire the Raiders from Davis but that's unlikely at this point.

And more importantly, the Rebels will play in the new Raiders stadium, Allegiant Stadium (opening next fall), which is much much closer to UNLV campus than the dreadful pathetic Sam Boyd stadium. Sam Boyd is so far away from ANYTHING in the valley that it's tough to make yourself go to a game.

I've heard a few names bandied about, here's hoping the Rebels can land someone to start building a program in the desert.

Chad Morris out at Arkansas after going winless in SEC for 2 straight years. They owe him $10 million buyout. They are also trying to get out of the contractual buyout for Bert. What a dumpster fire.....

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...5/arkansas-fires-coach-chad-morris-4-18-start
I'll be watching this one. Lots of Arkansas fans in my neck of the woods in Texas. A proud program that is yes, a dumpster fire. I wonder if they have what it takes to turn it around in a tough conference.

Ole Miss and Arkansas both looking for coaches.

SEC West... Auburn, Bama, LSU, and Jimbo.
Good luck to whoever gets hired there.

Ole Miss fans thinking they can get PJ.
Some USC fans thinking that as well tonight.

Will be some good measuring sticks to see how we compete in keeping head coaching talent.

Will be some good measuring sticks to see how we compete in keeping head coaching talent.

Interesting about Peterson. Didn't see that coming.

Me either. He is a good, well respected coach. Maybe he's just burned out. 55 years old and wants to take it a bit easier...
He does look like a pretty intense dude on the sidelines. I think he just got burnt out.

I don't believe it was mentioned here, but Steve Addazio was fired by Boston College.

Think any more jobs will open in the Big Ten?

In the West I think wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois, Purdue, Nebraska and Northwestern are pretty secure in their coaches. Fitz has too much equity to be on the hot seat, the rest just got extensions or are good or both (FLECK!!)

In the East Ohio St, Michigan (Harbaugh worn out a welcome?) Penn St (Franklin is always rumored to leave...but where would he go?), Indiana (great season for them, leave for greener pastures?), Maryland (dumpster fire, don't see them firing another coach), Rutgers (Schiano already in) and finally Michigan St (Lots going on here)

Oddly, the West seems much more secure with the leaders of their programs than the East.

Think any more jobs will open in the Big Ten?

In the West I think wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois, Purdue, Nebraska and Northwestern are pretty secure in their coaches. Fitz has too much equity to be on the hot seat, the rest just got extensions or are good or both (FLECK!!)

In the East Ohio St, Michigan (Harbaugh worn out a welcome?) Penn St (Franklin is always rumored to leave...but where would he go?), Indiana (great season for them, leave for greener pastures?), Maryland (dumpster fire, don't see them firing another coach), Rutgers (Schiano already in) and finally Michigan St (Lots going on here)

Oddly, the West seems much more secure with the leaders of their programs than the East.
Harbaugh is rumored to be headed to the NFL. Given a choice, I'd certainly pick that over dealing with all the recruiting that comes with the college ranks.

Campbell with an extension at Iowa State.

I can’t see Fleck leaving for any job at this point. There’s no way he signs the extension if he was considering it.

Next year could be a different story, but not this year.

Top Bottom