Week of 11/4 BOWL PROJECTIONS

MGGopher

Reaction score
ESPN (Bonagura)
*I think this is unlikely given MN has played in the Citrus Bowl in this contract cycle, but who knows.
Vrbo Citrus Bowl
Camping World Stadium, Orlando, Florida
Jan. 1, 1 p.m., ABC
Bonagura: Auburn vs. Minnesota

ESPN (Schlabach)
Outback Bowl
Raymond James Stadium, Tampa, Florida
Jan. 1, 1 p.m., ESPN
Schlabach: Minnesota vs. Texas A&M

CBS Sports (Jerry Palm -- who didn't even have the Gophers in a bowl following week 4, I believe. For shame.)
Outback Bowl
Jan. 1, 1 p.m., ESPN
Minnesota vs. Texas A&M

247 Sports
*OK, well if they've got "sources", perhaps I was wrong about the Citrus Bowl...
Citrus Bowl
Where: Orlando, Fla.
Projected matchup: Minnesota vs. Auburn
Quick bite: Through sources, 247Sports has learned Citrus Bowl representatives are intrigued by the Gophers and a potential matchup with Auburn in Orlando, two teams that will travel and bring a large contingent of fans for bowl week. Minnesota played in this game a few years ago against Missouri, but that team wasn't unbeaten through nine weeks with visions of a bigger bowl, either. We'll know more about Minnesota's potential here after Saturday's showdown vs. Penn State. Win there and we're talking about the Gophers going to the New Year's Six, potentially.

Sporting News
Outback Bowl
Jan. 1, 1 p.m., ESPN
Minnesota vs. Mississippi St.

Bleacher Report
*OK, maybe this Citrus Bowl thing has legs...
Vrbo Citrus Bowl
Camping World Stadium, Orlando, Florida
Jan. 1, 1 p.m., ABC
Bonagura: Auburn vs. Minnesota

College Football News (CFN)
*I need to start watching more Auburn Games
Outback Bowl
Jan. 1, 1 p.m., ESPN
Minnesota vs. Auburn

Has there been repeats of any teams for the Citrus Bowl in the cycle?

If no, then the Gophers are eligible. Remember, they are allowed 1 repeat in the cycle.

There have been no repeats at the Citrus bowl AFAIK, so if we lose 2ish down the stretch here that may end up being our destination. Outback is still more likely if we miss the CFP/NY6.

The Citrus is interesting because they don't take a B1G team every year -- only when the Orange Bowl doesn't. So only 3 B1G teams have played there during this cycle (Minnesota, Michigan, PSU). The contract calls for 5 different teams in 6 years, so you'd THINK they'd want to honor the spirit of that agreement by picking a new team this year (Iowa/Wisc winner seems likely, even if they lose the West...like MN in 2014), but honestly who knows. I did think it was interesting that this gained steam out of nowhere this week. Citrus Bowl reps must've been loose lipped...

Iowa has been to the Outback Bowl 2 of the last 3 years, which I believe means they can’t take Iowa, Wisconsin, or Michigan, which I think is at least partially why the Gophers have been a popular pick to go there, assuming we don’t go to the playoff or NY6 games.

The fact that we are now talking about playing a bowl game on January 1st is amazing enough for me. I was telling friends that once we hit win number 6 that each win after that moved our bowl game back about 4 days later in December until we reach January 1st. Playing a New Year's bowl game is massive for whoever is playing there. If you can start stringing a couple of January 1st games in a row you will clearly start seeing a change in recruiting quality.

I'm not holding my breath for some crazy championship but clearly this season has a chance to move the Gophers up a notch nationally so let's hope there's one or two more wins left out there for us this year.

It seems we've hit a projection ceiling. Only one analyst put us in the orange bowl last week, not anymore.

Any of those bowls - Orange, Citrus, Outback, or Holiday are great bowl games. Any of the 4 would be a good landing spot IMO...

No. Just no. Iowa and Michigan haven't been to the Holiday Bowl in ages, while the Gophers were there during this contract cycle. Ain't gonna happen.

latenightseth-seth-meyers-lnsm-xT0xezwKyz4VXZlBGU

We win on Saturday and everyone will begin projecting up to the Rose bowl.

Will these teams get to a bowl?

Nebraska would need to go 2-1 and have WI and IA left to play.
Purdue would need to go 2-1 and have IN and WI left to play
Northwestern eliminated
Illinois needs a win, but goes to MSU, IA, and hosts Northwestern in rivalry game.
Rutgers eliminated
Maryland would need to go 3-0
Michigan State needs 2 wins, but has IL, MD, and Rutgers on schedule.

No. Just no. Iowa and Michigan haven't been to the Holiday Bowl in ages, while the Gophers were there during this contract cycle. Ain't gonna happen.

latenightseth-seth-meyers-lnsm-xT0xezwKyz4VXZlBGU

I'd like it though. I live an hour from the stadium and have free parking...

A New Year's Day bown and we plan to attend, an earlier bowl and we can't due to other obligations realted to the holidays. Really hoping for Rose or Orange (or CFP semi).

Will these teams get to a bowl?

Nebraska would need to go 2-1 and have WI and IA left to play.
Purdue would need to go 2-1 and have IN and WI left to play
Northwestern eliminated
Illinois needs a win, but goes to MSU, IA, and hosts Northwestern in rivalry game.
Rutgers eliminated
Maryland would need to go 3-0
Michigan State needs 2 wins, but has IL, MD, and Rutgers on schedule.

Anything can happen as our Gophers team proved just a year ago after being left for dead following the Illinois game, but right now I'd say:

Nebraska, PU, and Maryland are NO
Illinois and MSU are YES

So B1G bowl teams:
OSU
MN
PSU
Wisc
Michigan
Iowa
Indiana
MSU
Illinois

Anything can happen as our Gophers team proved just a year ago after being left for dead following the Illinois game, but right now I'd say:

Nebraska, PU, and Maryland are NO
Illinois and MSU are YES

So B1G bowl teams:
OSU
MN
PSU
Wisc
Michigan
Iowa
Indiana
MSU
Illinois

I agree with this, I honestly think Illinois wins 2 of their last 3 to get to 7 wins, MSU will win against Rutgers and Maryland.

Nebraska wins just 1 more game, Purdue gets 1, and Maryland is done after Ohio State this week.

If not the Rose, putting Minnesota in the Outback Bowl solves a ton of logistical problems.

Top Bottom