Zulgad: Gophers’ focus should be on far bigger prize than “College GameDay”

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Judd:

Are we really upset that ESPN’s “College GameDay” isn’t going to be on the University of Minnesota campus next Saturday for the Gophers-Penn State game or is this fake outrage from fans looking for a reason to be upset?

Gophers coach P.J. Fleck spent plenty of time focusing on getting GameDay to show up at Minnesota for the first time, so there is a chance that some are actually upset about the fact ESPN elected to head to Tuscaloosa, Ala., for top-ranked LSU (8-0) against second-ranked Alabama (8-0) instead of Minneapolis for No. 5 Penn State (8-0) against No. 13 Minnesota (8-0).

Yes, Alabama will be hosting GameDay for the 14th time, second-most overall (hat tip Star Tribune for that factoid), and will be appearing on it for the 47th time. The Gophers are one of only 10 Power Five teams to have never hosted GameDay. But did anyone really think the folks in Bristol, Conn., were going to pass on Alabama-LSU?

Here’s the other thing. Gophers fans shouldn’t care because they should be focused on a much bigger prize. That would be a potential Rose Bowl appearance; a berth in that game would be a huge deal. The Gophers have not been to the Rose Bowl since Jan. 1, 1962 but there is a legitimate path to getting to Pasadena this season.

https://www.skornorth.com/gophers-2...-be-on-far-bigger-prize-than-college-gameday/

Go Gophers!!

Click-bait, trying to rile up fans and get them to click on the article, in my opinion. I personally am not going to give it a click. But you should feel free to do as you please.

I thought it was a good "take." I don't ultimately care about Game Day. I just want to continue winning. Let's go!

I thought it was a good "take." I don't ultimately care about Game Day. I just want to continue winning. Let's go!

Yeah, it is a fair take. Would have been cool to have Game Day come to campus for this one but not shocking they are going where they are. Had we been up against pretty much any other matchup they most likely come here but #1 vs. #2 in the SEC is just too big for ESPN to pass up. It is disappointing but not unexpected.

Anyone still upset about it needs to move on because we have bigger fish to fry with our without Game Day in the mix. Keep on winning and they will come out here eventually.

Spot on, but fairly obvious, too. Haven’t heard from anyone that they were upset about that decision. Would have been nice, but NBD.

Nope gameday is all we want. :p

Personally I don't watch gameday / care.

I do care that croots / exposure are key to building the program further... so I care about Gameday in that sense.

Spot on, but fairly obvious, too. Haven’t heard from anyone that they were upset about that decision. Would have been nice, but NBD.

Exactly.

If memory serves, posters right here on GopherHole have been pointing out (for quite some time) that GameDay coming here was pretty unlikely, because of LSU-Alabama the same day.

I haven't seen any outrage.

Most Gopher fans seem focused on the upcoming football game.

I don't know if anyone is arguing game day was THAT big of a deal. Slight annoyance we didn't get it, but I didn't prefer it over a Rose Bowl birth.

No Gameday is more annoying and a missed potential opportunity to increase exposure to the program and university.

Anybody who thought that was the #1 goal is out of their damn mind. Gameday is just a media acknowledgement that the team we are putting on the field is worthy of national recognition, but if we take care of business that won't matter in the end.

I think as long as the Gophers are able to beat Northwestern and at least one of Penn State or Iowa, we're getting the Gameday thing for the Axe. Maybe even as long as they just beat Northwestern. If I were at ESPN I would have gone to Tuscaloosa and penciled in the Gophers to host for rivalry week as long as this 8-0 isn't a total mirage.

During Axe week, Ohio State and Michigan might be playing in a more important game at that point to decide the East.
Also Alabama Auburn could also be a high priority.

During Axe week, Ohio State and Michigan might be playing in a more important game at that point to decide the East.

Michigan is basically eliminated already, since Penn State already beat them. So even if Penn State loses to Minnesota and Ohio State they'd still go to Indy over Michigan.

Penn States schedule:
@Minnesota
Indiana
@Ohio State
Rutgers

Ohio State schedule:
Maryland
@Rutgers
Penn State
@Michigan

So, if Penn State wins vs Minnesota or Indiana, the race comes down to the Penn State vs Ohio State game the week before.

Also Alabama Auburn could also be a high priority.

I'm also hoping the West is sewed up by then. Gameday coming here for Wisco implies that the game means something to folks outside of MN and WI fan base (B1G West title), which I'm hoping it will not.

Let's beat Penn State and let the chips fall where they may. Ringing up the cash register by filling the Trophy case would be nice.

I'm also hoping the West is sewed up by then. Gameday coming here for Wisco implies that the game means something to folks outside of MN and WI fan base (B1G West title), which I'm hoping it will not.

It could still be an undefeated Minnesota team facing off against a top 10 2 loss Wisconsin team. That would be worthy of Gameday even if the west has already been won.

Bermie Bierman's teams didn't need no "ESPN Gameday".....

Top Bottom