P.J. Fleck calls Penn State 'one of the biggest games in Minnesota history'

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Megan:

Gophers coach P.J. Fleck termed Saturday’s game between the Gophers and Penn State as “one of the biggest games in Minnesota history.”

The two 8-0 teams — Penn State remained No. 5 in the Associated Press Top 25 released Sunday, and the Gophers remained No. 13 — will face off at 11 a.m. Saturday at TCF Bank Stadium in front of a potentially sold-out crowd, clad in maroon and waving gold rally towels.

On WCCO radio Sunday morning, Fleck said he is trying not to overhype the game to his players, knowing they’ll play best if they don’t overthink the importance. But a win would allow the Gophers to retain a two-game lead in the Big Ten West and start strongly a November filled with three ranked opponents.

“This is what it’s all about. Gophers are in the hunt for the Big Ten West title race. This is what we said could happen at this point. And here we are,” Fleck said. “… It’s fun to be a part of, and I want everybody to be a part of that, experience that and really help us.”

http://www.startribune.com/p-j-flec...biggest-games-in-minnesota-history/564319172/

Go Gophers!!

It's always tricky as a Minnesota fan to say anything is the "most EVER" given the distant championship legacy of the program. It might be the biggest game in the past 50+ years of Gopher football.

If we win it's a huge as that'll be a GIANT step to a rose bowl

In history? Hah! Maybe since 2000.

Two 8-0 top 15 teams meeting in Minneapolis?
This is the biggest game since 2003 and would definitely fall into the top 10 all time.
If the Gophers win this game then people will be talking about it for a decade.

This isn't 1940, Minnesota isn't playing warm up games against high school teams to get to 8-0, this is an incredibly unique game, and one we might not get to see again.

Last edited:

In history? Hah! Maybe since 2000.

While we have had many big games in our history, as evidenced by the national championships, this has to be one of the biggest games in our history. Since falling off the map we have had Michigan in '03 and this game as opportunities to put our name in the ring for a national championship.

This isn't 1940, Minnesota isn't playing warm up games against high school teams to get to 8-0, this is an incredibly unique game, and one we might not get to see again.

false

1940 Golden Gophers football opponents

#10 Washington
#7 Nebraska
#15 Ohio State
Iowa
#8 Northwestern
#3 Michigan
Purdue
Wisconsin

No FCS games, no group of 5s. Beat Ohio State on the road and Michigan at home.

Last edited:

This is the biggest game since 2003 and would definitely fall into the top 10 all time.

This.

Second time in the history of the B1G two undefeated teams have met this late in the season.
First 8-0 start for MN since 1941, with a chance to go 9-0 for first time since 1904.
A top 15 MN team hosting a top 10 ranked team. When was the last time this happened? I'm guessing the 60's.

It absolutely is. This is the first time in the modern era where the Gophers have a chance to elevate their brand to national recognition for longer than blip. And this is unquestionably our toughest remaining regular season game. Whatever the excuses, expectations, and future prospects are prior to the game....change depending on the outcome of this game. If we get blown out....it's back to side mentions. If we play close, we probably still hold as an intriguing team in the Big Ten, with a good shot to play in Indy. If we win, everything is thrown out the door. Being ranked behind two, two-loss teams looks like a joke. We now look like a true contender....and a major factor in the Big Ten for not only this year....but for years to come.

It could be a program defining game.

It absolutely is. This is the first time in the modern era where the Gophers have a chance to elevate their brand to national recognition for longer than blip. And this is unquestionably our toughest remaining regular season game. Whatever the excuses, expectations, and future prospects are prior to the game....change depending on the outcome of this game. If we get blown out....it's back to side mentions. If we play close, we probably still hold as an intriguing team in the Big Ten, with a good shot to play in Indy. If we win, everything is thrown out the door. Being ranked behind two, two-loss teams looks like a joke. We now look like a true contender....and a major factor in the Big Ten for not only this year....but for years to come.

It could be a program defining game.

Yes! A win in this game will firmly establish the idea that this team is, in fact, a contender for the B1G and even more.

If they win this game, it means they're good enough to compete with top-echelon teams — like Ohio State.

I believe they have already arrived at that point, but a win here would go a long way to convincing the doubters.

It is interesting that for the biggest games (Pig, Axe, jug), with the exception of a few Pig games - the modern/recent history has the Gophers typically winning these games on the road and stumbling at home. Haven't won the Axe here since 2003 and the last 3 jug wins at least have also been on the road (with 2003 and 2015 being uniquely painful losses to Michigan). Although this is for a trophy, the victory bell basically doesn't count as nobody cares about that. But, this game feels as big or bigger than the 2003 game against Michigan in terms of local hype and opportunity to capture the imagination of our questionable, snake bit, jaded fan base. This one is at home. It would be sooooo huge to win this game here.

LOL!

The Gophers have spent 79 weeks in the top 10 of the AP football poll. Games in which we and our opponents were both in the top 10 were not infrequent, particularly in the late 1930s and early 1940s when we won 5 national titles in 8 seasons. The AP poll has only existed since 1936, so that doesn't take into account the first 54 years of our history - our overall history of course including 7 claimed national titles and 18 Big Ten championships.

Top 10 in history is laughable. The "definitely" was my favorite part.

Biggest game since 2003? Yes. It's easy to make the argument that it's even the biggest game since the 1962 Rose Bowl.

Oh, and we haven't played a high school team since 1905.

Other than the fact that almost everything you said was wrong - great post!

I'm just enjoying the ride. Everything is gravy from here on out. That being said, I will be fired up come 11am saturday

My opinion, this is the biggest home game since 1985 vs Ohio State. HHH Dome was sold out and the game was on national TV, a real big deal then.

As the 2003 Michigan game turned out, had the Gophers won they would have gotten a share of the Big 10 and a Pasadena trip but we did not know that at the time. Michigan was ranked lower than the Gophers and had 2 losses (Oregon and Iowa). After the comeback, they ran the table.

He is right this game is a big deal. It is everything you want as a Gopher fan. We have a ranked "legitimate" AP and coaches poll team playing another higher ranked team on our home field. This is definitely the biggest game played at TCF bank stadium since the original opener. In the grand scheme of things it is just one football game, but this can be a launching pad to bigger and better things.

This is Big boy football, where you line up, the intensity of the hitting and the physical nature of the game will be cranked up a notch. I'm sure Penn State thinks they are going to come in and dominate, after all the Gophers have played nobody's and you know they had a tough game against South Dakota State.
This cannot be it as far as the season goes on, there is so much more left to accomplish. I'm looking forward to the Gophers taking away the Bell on Saturday, really looking forward to the celebration.
They especially Penn State fans think they will blow us out but they got another thing coming. We can match there D line size up front with our O-line, yes it is a great front, but if our Online play, is like it has been recently they can bang with these guys. They are not the only good team in the conference this year. I think our front five is starting to gel, and this is why guy's like Dunbar and Falaelee, Olson came to Minnesota to play the best. Will we be able to line it up and just smash on these guy's no, but I think we can still run the football.

Last edited:

LOL!

The Gophers have spent 79 weeks in the top 10 of the AP football poll. Games in which we and our opponents were both in the top 10 were not infrequent, particularly in the late 1930s and early 1940s when we won 5 national titles in 8 seasons. The AP poll has only existed since 1936, so that doesn't take into account the first 54 years of our history - our overall history of course including 7 claimed national titles and 18 Big Ten championships.

Top 10 in history is laughable. The "definitely" was my favorite part.

Biggest game since 2003? Yes. It's easy to make the argument that it's even the biggest game since the 1962 Rose Bowl.

Oh, and we haven't played a high school team since 1905.

Other than the fact that almost everything you said was wrong - great post!

Regarding the bold. There were 7 games between 1936 and 1942 in which both we and our opponents were in the top 10.

1936 No. 1 Minnesota vs No. 5 Purdue
1936 No. 1 Minnesota at No. 3 Northwestern
1940 No. 4 Minnesota at No. 8 Northwestern
1940 No. 2 Minnesota vs No. 3 Michigan
1941 No. 1 Minnesota at No. 3 Michigan
1941 No. 1 Minnesota vs No. 9 Northwestern
1942 No. 10 Minnesota vs No. 7 Wisconsin

7 games in 73 games from '36 to '42

Subsequent games:

1948 No. 8 Minnesota at No. 3 Northwestern
1960 No. 3 Minnesota vs No. 1 Iowa
1960 No. 1 Minnesota vs No. 6 Washington
1961 No. 5 Minnesota vs No. 7 Purdue
1962 No. 5 Minnesota at No. 3 Wisconsin

We have played in 25 games in which both the Gophers and their opponent were in the top 15.

Last edited:

Regarding the bold. There were 7 games between 1936 and 1942 in which both we and our opponents were in the top 10.

1936 No. 1 Minnesota vs No. 5 Purdue
1936 No. 1 Minnesota at No. 3 Northwestern
1940 No. 4 Minnesota at No. 8 Northwestern
1940 No. 2 Minnesota vs No. 3 Michigan
1941 No. 1 Minnesota at No. 3 Michigan
1941 No. 1 Minnesota vs No. 9 Northwestern
1942 No. 10 Minnesota vs No. 7 Wisconsin

7 games in 73 games from '36 to '42

Subsequent games:

1948 No. 8 Minnesota at No. 3 Northwestern
1960 No. 3 Minnesota vs No. 1 Iowa
1960 No. 1 Minnesota vs No. 6 Washington
1961 No. 5 Minnesota vs No. 7 Purdue
1962 No. 5 Minnesota at No. 3 Wisconsin

We have played in 25 games in which both the Gophers and their opponent were in the top 15.

The last time the Gophers played a top 10 match up was before Kennedy was assassinated.
It might as well be in a history book next to ancient Greece.
The world moved on from 1960s college football by 1970.

Recruits, fans, the media, etc. don't remember, or care, about '60s college football.

I sure don't.

Last edited:

I know this will be controversial, but I think 2014 Wisconsin was bigger. Our biggest rival in a de facto division championship game with a trip to Indy on the line. That said, this one us huge. This is the first time we have been alive in the CFP race this late in the CFP era, and a trophy game to boot!

HUGE game.
No one will be talking about this game in a decade unless some “miracle” event happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They especially Penn State fans think they will blow us out but they got another thing coming.

I'm friends with two Penn State diehard fans and they definitely are worried about this game. They've talked about all the flaws in their recent wins and thought they were lucky to win both the Iowa and Michigan games.

They are worried about both our offense and defense, and say they know PJ Fleck will have the Gophers ready.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

I'm friends with two Penn State diehard fans and they definitely are worried about this game. They've talked about all the flaws in their recent wins and thought they were lucky to win both the Iowa and Michigan games.

They are worried about both our offense and defense, and say they know PJ Fleck will have the Gophers ready.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Nonsense. We are the only fan base that would be critical of an 8-0 team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you’re reaching all the way back to the 30s, 40s and 60s to prove Fleck wrong, you’re missing the point.

He’s selling his program. Get excited.

His recruits weren’t alive in the 60s.

The parents of his recruits weren’t alive in the 60s.

Some of the grandparents of his recruits were barely alive in the 60s.

Even if you list every Top 15 vs. Top 15 matchup in program history, you’re left with a list that is, what, 25 games long?

The Gophers have played how many games? 1000?

So in the top 25 of 1000 games?

Sounds like one of the top games in program history to me.

Jesus ****ing Christ, people.

EDIT: This is the most Minnesotan thread of all time.

Last edited:

false

1940 Golden Gophers football opponents

#10 Washington
#7 Nebraska
#15 Ohio State
Iowa
#8 Northwestern
#3 Michigan
Purdue
Wisconsin

No FCS games, no group of 5s. Beat Ohio State on the road and Michigan at home.

You're going back 79 years for that comparison. Think about that.

My recently late uncle, a decorated WW2 Okinawa battle marine, was just a young teen.

Last edited:

The last time the Gophers played a top 10 match up was before Kennedy was assassinated.

Recruits, fans, the media, etc. don't remember, or care, about '60s college football.

I sure don't.

I gotta agree with you, it's been a very, very long time! Sad that it's been so long...hope the ride continues!

You're going back 79 years for that comparison. Think about that.

My recently late uncle, a decorated WW2 Okinawa battle marine, was just a young teen.

I guess my point was more in defense of the 1940 team. They didn't play warm up games and did not play against a high school team. The 2019 team has played some warm up games. (SDSU, Rutgers, GSU)

I guess my point was more in defense of the 1940 team. They didn't play warm up games and did not play against a high school team. The 2019 team has played some warm up games. (SDSU, Rutgers, GSU)

True. When comparing seasons, it won't be apples to apples until the conference slate is done.

As for all the high Big Ten rankings in 1940, the other conferences in the southeast, southwest and west coast were nowhere near as strong as now.

I sure don't.

What’s the name of this forum?

If you’re reaching all the way back to the 30s, 40s and 60s to prove Fleck wrong, you’re missing the point.

Actually, that is indeed the point. History is all-encompassing - you don't get to pick and choose what counts and what doesn't. Minnesota football has a very long history and we have played a hell of a lot of games, many with far more consequence than this game. To say this is one of the biggest games in school history is patently silly. He would've been better served to say something like "one of the biggest Minnesota football games in several decades" or something along those lines.

Note - this is not among the P.J. lies, merely another in a long list of hyperbole and exaggerations.

Top Bottom