PJ Fleck

Have you seen those USC cheerleading sweaters? Just saying.

Penn State is in a boring college town in Pennsylvania.

USC is in Los Angeles and you can live anywhere in Orange County making millions a year! P.J. and Franklin's Water Front could be a lot bigger at USC!

Those millions you are making won't go nearly as far in Orange County as they would in Pennsylvania or Minnesota. And living by the ocean might be nice for a few years until they spit you out because you don't win at a high enough level for a year or two.

I get how coaches are wired but you wonder when the point comes where we see guys passing more and more on the helmet schools with their insane expectations for a still high paying gig at a place where they may actually have a chance to stay employed for more then a year or two before getting fired.

If he continues to have success here Fleck will be an interesting one to watch. Does he chase the bright lights at a helmet program or does he stay put at Minnesota and try to become a legend? Too many people just focus on the money and assume that if more money is offered the decision is easy.

Final side note, I assume the assumption is that USC will pay more but currently both Fleck and Franklin make more then what Helton does at USC.

People are really underestimating what a huge advantage the Big Ten has in revenue over the other conferences.

In the most recent fiscal year, each Big Ten school got 54 million dollars just from TV contracts.

ACC and PAC 12 were both just under 30 million.

So, unless the Boosters want to make up that difference, it becomes really tough to support top 20 contracts against the Big Ten and SEC who both make at least 9 million more than the other power 5 conference schools just off of TV.

https://tvrev.com/college-sports-success-continues-to-be-decided-by-tv-revenues/

Thanks, Beer, for a really informative post and link.

From the link posted by BFFF:

-Big Ten: $54M to 12 longest-standing schools

-SEC: $43.7M to all except Mississippi (postseason ban)

-Big 12: $34.7M

-Pac-12 and ACC: $29.5M each

That's a big, big money gap.

If you don’t think Minnesota isn’t a sleeping giant or doesn’t have the resources, you are gravely mistaken! We are apart of the richest conference, among the richest schools, we have the resources, athletics village, major metropolitan area, and a long rich history!

Why do fans continue to look at Minnesota like it’s a MAC school?!

Because Minnesota can't sell out a 50,000 seat stadium for a #5-#13 game?

Because Minnesota can't sell out a 50,000 seat stadium for a #5-#13 game?

That is far more to do with prices than anything else. If our tickets were similar to Iowa or Wisconsin, the game would have sold out already.

When they instituted the scholarship seating increase I believe they hired a consulting firm to finalize the details, Aspire IIRC. Those of us that have dealt with consulting companies....may suspect they are not entirely competent. I’m not sure who is calling the shots on the pricing but it’s getting down to crunch time. We’ll see if the maximize revenue approach works, or if the value proposition just isn’t there for the remaining higher priced seats.

EB025EA5-D60E-4989-969E-C07D59A444CC.jpg

This should end discussion! How many times does he have to say this! Coyle will get Fleck his money! I love how fleck says Minnesota is a big time program cause regardless of what some fans think, Minnesota is a big time program!

About 5.00 - 5.50 M plus incentives and a huge buyout. The rest is up to PJF and what his priorities are and nobody knows that except PJF. Millions hang in the balance the next couple weeks.

I’d think they’d like to have a contract update done and signed prior to NSD I. If there’s no word by then I’d say concern levels will rise significantly. Of course some of this is pending whether the team does well in the near future or stumbles.

He’ll be extended for sure. That’s Coyle’s MO. He needs a pay raise, too. The next four weeks will determine the length of the extension and the size of the pay raise. I doubt it very much that these conversations haven’t already started.

If he’s going to leave he needs to know how big of a pay cut he’s going to take for the next job, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 6464

This should end discussion! How many times does he have to say this! Coyle will get Fleck his money! I love how fleck says Minnesota is a big time program cause regardless of what some fans think, Minnesota is a big time program!

I dont think Fleck is looking to leave. The reason I believe that has nothing to do with the fact that he tells reporters he is not looking to leave.

It would be a bad negotiation tactic for Fleck to say much more about staying or leaving Minnesota.

One has to wonder whether he’ll tweet out his commitment with a “blessed”, “respect my decision”

Every day I open GH there’s another new thread on Fleck. Can we use the same thread from now on?

I do not think Fleck is looking to leave, nor do I think he well. Any coach should think long and hard about going somewhere where a coach is fired in less than 2 seasons. I understand 9-12 at MN is different than 9-12 at FSU, but at the same time, we're about to raise a statue for one good (could be great) season and FSU is firing people.

That said, to think PJ will say anything other than he loves it here regardless of his plans isn't going to happen. I haven't met the coach who says, "Yup, a lot of speculation and I'm excited to take the job from the highest bidder. MN is for suckers".

The closest we've come is Mason saying if the phone rings he'll answer it. Which he was crucified for yet never left.

You could structure a contract that has direct risk/reward for the coach. For example, has any coach every gotten a contract that pays him/her a percentage of the ticket sales?

You could structure a contract that has direct risk/reward for the coach. For example, has any coach every gotten a contract that pays him/her a percentage of the ticket sales?

Yes - for Men’s Basketball- quite a few mid major coaches have incentives tied to ticket sales.
One of Troy’s former Football Coaches had ticket sale bonus in a research article I read.

With all these threads talking about PJ Fleck leaving and this or that school looking at him, I’m here to tell you PJ Fleck isn’t going anywhere!

He has and continues to say that he loves Minnesota, the history, and wants to build something special here at Minnesota!!!

If you don’t think Minnesota isn’t a sleeping giant or doesn’t have the resources, you are gravely mistaken! We are apart of the richest conference, among the richest schools, we have the resources, athletics village, major metropolitan area, and a long rich history!

Why do fans continue to look at Minnesota like it’s a MAC school?! I guarantee Coyle will match what ever is thrown at PJ Fleck! I believe our president and AD want to build out football team into a major player and PJ Fleck is right on board with that!

I hope he goes.

Urban Myers:

"Minnesota was not a rebuild. Claeys left a good team and players."

Will Fleck be able to win next year? Minnesota loses 8 defensive starters next year.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

This

This

Thankfully we will have back almost all of our offensive production to make up for losing the majority of our front 7 on defense. That should help make the transition easier next season.

Thankfully we will have back almost all of our offensive production to make up for losing the majority of our front 7 on defense. That should help make the transition easier next season.

Yep, and he inherited something pretty good too.

Yes, he did, and he’s brought in some even better talent and is doing a fantastic job coaching his players and those of the prior staff. Can you not see/admit that?

Of course he did. The difference is he knows how to put a team together and how to develop them. This is what winning looks like when you hire the right coach.

Anyone know if Ozzy&Ray is doing okay? This has to be a pretty low time for him. Someone should check in.

Of course he did. The difference is he knows how to put a team together and how to develop them. This is what winning looks like when you hire the right coach.

He could acknowledge it, once. Never had. All about him. Glad to see Gophers win. Want to see program have a solid foundation when the arrogant clown leaves. However, defensively, I don’t see any foundation when he loses the seniors this year.

Trolls die pretty quickly if you simply refuse to feed them.

Ignore a troll. He'll disappear quickly enough.

He could acknowledge it, once. Never had. All about him. Glad to see Gophers win. Want to see program have a solid foundation when the arrogant clown leaves. However, defensively, I don’t see any foundation when he loses the seniors this year.

Imagine being mad at a coach who has us off to our best season in a century lol

Top Bottom