FSU fires coach

They just gave the HC less than 2 years. ACC is a weak conference beyond Clemson.

FSU was struggling in Jimbo’s last year (5-6), probably left the cupboard bare for Taggart. It’s still a helmet school and much easier to recruit too. I’d think it would be easier to sustain success there with the right coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FSU was struggling in Jimbo’s last year (5-6), probably left the cupboard bare for Taggart. It’s still a helmet school and much easier to recruit too. I’d think it would be easier to sustain success there with the right coach.

Yeah word has it Jimbo was not engaged that last season / looking forward to leaving and the program was already about to faceplant.

Tallahassee does indeed suck, and Florida St. reminds me of Nebraska. Both a long way from Bowden and Osborne and facing a landscape that has vastly changed. Florida St.'s success largely came when Alabama, Auburn, Clemson and even LSU and Georgia were worse off than they are now. FSU essentially competes with the SEC for recruits.

Having the elite players picked off by the above listed teams and THEN having to compete with Florida, cheating Ole Miss and the elite northern schools.........In my opinion, FSU is nowhere near an elite job in the current landscape, just like Nebraska.

Jimbo really left FSU a shelled out mess, how do you not give Taggart another year?

Bob Stoopes sounds like he’d be a good fit there. PJ should try raiding their recruiting class.

Tallahassee does indeed suck, and Florida St. reminds me of Nebraska. Both a long way from Bowden and Osborne and facing a landscape that has vastly changed. Florida St.'s success largely came when Alabama, Auburn, Clemson and even LSU and Georgia were worse off than they are now. FSU essentially competes with the SEC for recruits.

Having the elite players picked off by the above listed teams and THEN having to compete with Florida, cheating Ole Miss and the elite northern schools.........In my opinion, FSU is nowhere near an elite job in the current landscape, just like Nebraska.

I feel like FSU has a leg up as far as a baseline of local croots they have a good shot at picking up by default. That's a huge pickup over say Nebraska.

Bob Stoopes sounds like he’d be a good fit there. PJ should try raiding their recruiting class.

The fantasy running through my head is PJ gets offers from these places and PJ is all "No thanks, but we'll take all your croots!!!*"

*provided they fit the RTB system of course

Fleck is going nowhere except to his financial adviser to discuss how to invest the additional millions Minnesota will be paying him.

Jimbo really left FSU a shelled out mess, how do you not give Taggart another year?

Florida State won a National Championship as recently as 2013 and were in the CFP Semifinals in 2014. They were ranked #4 ahead of the 2016 season and got as high as #2 before falling back to finish #8 in the season ending poll. The Seminoles started 2017 ranked #3 before things fell apart in Jimbo Fisher's final season before heading out to Texas A&M. Those fans are used to being in the National Title discussion every season and the collapse has been a huge shock to the fans who haven't had teams this bad since the mid 1970s. The losses have been not just great in number by their standards, but it's how badly the Noles have lost. In 2018 they went down 59-10 to Clemson, 47-28 to North Carolina State, 42-13 to Notre Dame, and 41-14 to Florida. In 2019 they fell 45-14 to Clemson and blew what ought to have been comfortable leads to Virginia and Boise State.

Crowds at Doak Campbell Stadium have cratered both in the number of tickets sold and the number of ticketed fans that chose to stay home. The place seats a bit more than 78,000. The Miami game drew just under 64,000 when it had once been an automatic sellout. The announced crowd for Louisville was less than 47,000. Syracuse drew a less than 51,000. The nonconference home finale against Alabama A&M on 11/16/19 was looking to draw the smallest crowd in that stadium for decades. FSU needs fans in the seats and could not wait any longer to make a change. Taggart might have made it through the rivalry game with Florida had his team not performed so listlessly against Miami, but the school felt it could not lose anymore ground.

Smart ADs will fire the coach as soon as they decide the coach won’t be back for the next season. It gives them a head start in getting the coach they want. Ohio State did it best by hiring Urban Meyer at the end of November and let Luke Fickell finish coaching the year while Urban built his coaching staff.

The cupboard was so bare, they have the 6th highest team talent ranking in the country.

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

FSU is a great job.

They will pay a lot of $ for a coach, they are in a recruiting hot bed, they have a lot of support for their football program.

As far as Fleck goes, I feel confident but nothing would shock in me in college sports. Fleck is in a really good place here and I am just excited that we have a coach where this is a concern. It's one of those good problems and I hope we have to worry about it every single year. In a couple of years, I hope we're worried about the Dallas Cowboys or Chicago Bears coming after Fleck.

The funniest part about the Fleck leaving is 6 weeks ago for many on this board the used car salesman was in over his head for not winning games in the non conference season by a bigger margin.

FSU is a great job.

They will pay a lot of $ for a coach, they are in a recruiting hot bed, they have a lot of support for their football program.

As far as Fleck goes, I feel confident but nothing would shock in me in college sports. Fleck is in a really good place here and I am just excited that we have a coach where this is a concern. It's one of those good problems and I hope we have to worry about it every single year. In a couple of years, I hope we're worried about the Dallas Cowboys or Chicago Bears coming after Fleck.

I could be dead wrong. But I have a feeling that Fleck's whole "vibe" just won't go over with pros. The jargon, the culture, etc. I feel like all that kind of thing is purposefully absent in the NFL. The coaching staff are all just pure straight shooters who live football strategy and personnel/matchups. They tell the players to do this, this, and that, on this play, and if you don't perform, you're gone, that's it. You take care of yourself to be able to perform, or we'll just get someone else. So there's nothing to "buy into", you simply perform or you find something else to do. That's the culture.

Pays more, no state income tax, better recruiting, more money around the program, better fan support, etc.
The downside is that your bar for success is beating Clemson and you have to live in Tallahassee.

I want PJ to stay, I think he can do special things here, but lets be real.
If Florida State offered him then they would pay him all of $6M, whereas Minnesota pays $3M after income tax.
I know I would move to Florida if it doubled my salary.

The one thing about Fleck though is that he needs a lot of control to run his program then way he wants.
I don't think he would get that control at Florida State.
The administration at FSU is very unstable. The Prexy is about to retire, their AD had the interim tag removed because they struck out on several candidates, it'll be hard to sell stability when the AD will probably be removed in the next couple years. Everything you mentioned is an obvious positive, but not sure they outweigh the negatives, especially if USC or Notre Dame open up.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Honestly, if I were Fleck, Franklin, or any of the other names being tossed around, the fact that they fired a coach after 21 games (with a 9-12 record) would give me pause.

I believe that Fleck want's to build his own legacy this is from his introductory press conference.

What I am here to do is change a culture. To change the movement, for us to create and experience things that the University of Minnesota football has only dreamed off and hasn't accomplished since the late '60s. With all due respect, that's why I took the job. My entire life has been about running into the fire, not away from the fire.

I don't think that it's possible for Fleck to build a legacy at FSU

FSU is a great job.

I'm reading its not a great job. Lots of problems with the administration and boosters.

It's like taking a job in the Big Ten East & having to play Ohio State every year.

FSU is in the same division as Clemson in the ACC . . . having to play the 800-pound gorilla every single year makes "winning big" a real challenge.

I know Tallahassee - there's far more "quality of life" options in MSP.

Florida's definitely "better recruiting ground" - but he wouldn't have the state to himself. The rest of the world recruits in Florida, too, as does Florida & Miami.

The biggest thing FSU could sell, IMO, is "dedication to winning" - they're desperate. He'd have financial support. The U needs to come up with the $$$ to make it worth PJ's while to stay, if they think he's "the guy" to make things go.

One thing that might (weirdly enough) cut against FSU - - - I don't know that FSU would embrace "Row the Boat." They're really tied into the whole "Seminole" and "we have official permission from the Seminole Indian Tribe to be the Noles" thing - I think there'd be resistance to adopting "Row the Boat." He's not going to get "Oars" on those helmets ...

Whether that would matter ...

I'm hoping PJ's a Midwest guy who really wants to make Minnesota relevant again, who sees that as his "mission in life."

LMAO at people saying FSU is not a good job. It’s a top 15 job in the country. Just because they have not been great the past 2-3 years all of a sudden it’s a dumpster fire. Lol. I hope man ponies up to keep PJ, but it would be absurd to not entertain an offer from FSU if MN has not offered a extension.

FSU, Tennessee, Nebraska and Miami are all no-win situations. Their fan base remembers the glory years of the 90's and expects a top 10 team winning 10 or more games and competing for national titles every year. But the reality hasn't been that for 20 years with a couple exceptions. All are far away from the top teams in their conference and they only get 3-4 years to turn it around or they're fired. If I was Fleck I wouldn't even consider any of them.

Rumor has it they made the move early to try to beat USC to the punch for Meyers, there also seems to be mutual interest for Mike Leach.

It not paranoia. It’s reality. His name appears in almost every article that discusses coaching hires at various programs. I hope Coyle isn’t as naive as much of this fanbase.

We've had some bad AD's over the years (Maturi) but I'd hope Coyle and Fleck have a good enough relationship that PJ's not going to bolt because we didn't get knee deep in renegotiating his contract in the middle of the season.

You can’t be serious?

FSU is a far superior job to Minnesota.

If PJ wants to leave for a better job, he can do better than FSU.

Rumor has it they made the move early to try to beat USC to the punch for Meyers, there also seems to be mutual interest for Mike Leach.

Uh, oh...PJ to Washington State rumors will start soon.

I do wonder if this has an effect not only on recruits, but also the players currently on the roster.

For whatever it's worth;

Florida State Seminoles head coach in Week 1 of 2020 season?

Dino Babers +250
Mike Gundy +300
Dave Clawson +400
Matt Campbell +500
Urban Meyer +700
Josh Heupel +800
Scott Frost +1200

USC Trojans head coach in Week 1 of 2020 season
Urban Meyer +150
Chris Petersen +300
James Franklin +350
David Shaw +700
Mike Gundy +700
Kliff Kingsbury +1200

Last edited:

The rubber hits the road in the next 9 or so weeks folks. If FSU targets him PJF will either be gone for a ready made championship program and the prospect of taking Dabo’s crown, or he’ll stick to his guns and build something his way at MN as NSmike pointed out.

Taggart’s base salary was $5 million plus several 6 figure escalators. FSU not only paid Oregon $4+ million for a buyout but will owe over $17 million. If they had waited and fired him during the 2021 season that would drop to 12.75 million.

All in all, pretty surprising they let him go during year 2. It’s clear FSU has plenty of cash to throw around. How high is PJF on their list? How much does PJF believe he can accomplish at MN?

I’m going to enjoy the rest of the season and worry about this later as it falls firmly into the outside of our control category.

Top Bottom