FSU fires coach

Pays more, no state income tax, better recruiting, more money around the program, better fan support, etc.
The downside is that your bar for success is beating Clemson and you have to live in Tallahassee.

I want PJ to stay, I think he can do special things here, but lets be real.
If Florida State offered him then they would pay him all of $6M, whereas Minnesota pays $3M after income tax.
I know I would move to Florida if it doubled my salary.

The one thing about Fleck though is that he needs a lot of control to run his program then way he wants.
I don't think he would get that control at Florida State.

For the financial portion of your argument what are you estimating PJs salary to be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“They should get into the UFC, get out of football and go fight people. That’s all you guys want to do. Fight. It makes no sense to me. I can’t imagine, Willie Taggart who’s one of the classy, gentlemen, great guy. I can’t imagine what he’s dealing with that culture, trying. He’s trying to steer the Titanic. Forget just winning games and trying to execute defensively and offensively. Florida State, they’ll knock a guy out, hit a guy after a 20-yard gain on 3rd and 15, and blow a guy up and just stand over top of him, talking to him. It’s like, bro, it’s a first down. They have no awareness. I’m just done talking about them,” he added.

— Herbstreit

“They should get into the UFC, get out of football and go fight people. That’s all you guys want to do. Fight. It makes no sense to me. I can’t imagine, Willie Taggart who’s one of the classy, gentlemen, great guy. I can’t imagine what he’s dealing with that culture, trying. He’s trying to steer the Titanic. Forget just winning games and trying to execute defensively and offensively. Florida State, they’ll knock a guy out, hit a guy after a 20-yard gain on 3rd and 15, and blow a guy up and just stand over top of him, talking to him. It’s like, bro, it’s a first down. They have no awareness. I’m just done talking about them,” he added.

— Herbstreit

About the opposite of what Fleck expects of his players.

The issue of going to Florida State and having to deal with Clemson has come up in a few posts. I don't expect Clemson to fall off at any point in the near future, but that team went 1992 to 2011 without having fewer than 3 losses in any season during that span. The number of times they had a 3 loss season in that span was twice, and they were spread far apart. For most of that span it was 4, 5, and 6 loss seasons. Florida State was on top during that span. It all turned around very quickly and it could all turn around just as quickly if Florida State makes the right coaching hire and if Dabo Sweeney takes a new gig (he turns 50 in two weeks, was born in Birmingham, played at Alabama, and was an assistant there before becoming a Clemson assistant and rising to the HC spot, if Saban hangs it up sometime soon, Bama would probably want him and this is probably the one job he'd leave Clemson for). I don't know if Fleck is even the guy Florida State wants and it's definitely a tough job due to the expectations, but it's also one of the best jobs in the game if you succeed.

— Herbstreit

So...you’re saying PJ’s culture would be a lot more difficult to implement there, than it was here. On top of that, he clearly wouldn’t be given 3-4 years to turn it around. There’s no such thing as “Year 0” at FSU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It kinda sounded like PJ plans to coach the Gophers this Saturday versus Penn State. If we lose he’ll probably head to Tallahassee immediately after the game....what I’m hearing. But if the Gophers win then he’d stay for at least another week to build his legacy.

Heather was looking at houses online in Tallahassee all day Sunday. Hope we win Saturday.

Go Gophers!

The issue of going to Florida State and having to deal with Clemson has come up in a few posts. I don't expect Clemson to fall off at any point in the near future, but that team went 1992 to 2011 without having fewer than 3 losses in any season during that span. The number of times they had a 3 loss season in that span was twice, and they were spread far apart. For most of that span it was 4, 5, and 6 loss seasons. Florida State was on top during that span. It all turned around very quickly and it could all turn around just as quickly if Florida State makes the right coaching hire and if Dabo Sweeney takes a new gig (he turns 50 in two weeks, was born in Birmingham, played at Alabama, and was an assistant there before becoming a Clemson assistant and rising to the HC spot, if Saban hangs it up sometime soon, Bama would probably want him and this is probably the one job he'd leave Clemson for). I don't know if Fleck is even the guy Florida State wants and it's definitely a tough job due to the expectations, but it's also one of the best jobs in the game if you succeed.

This seems to be the nature of college football now. A team has an impressive but (in the grand scheme of things) short run of success, and all of a sudden the narrative becomes "that team is a perennial power that will be tough to beat every year from now until the end of time."

6. Mike Norvell, Memphis – Because all of the above coaches have stable situations, none would sprint to Tallahassee. Norvell loves Memphis and has been paid well above Group of Five market at $2.6 million, but this is the caliber of opportunity he’s been waiting for. The timing here is good for Norvell, as he just had the eyes of the college football world on the job he’s done at Memphis this weekend. Bonus for cash-strapped FSU: Norvell’s buyout is only $500,000.

Fleck is number 3 on the list.

Well Bob Stoops would be the easiest choice as he's available. Brent Venables would be another great choice with no buyout. I suppose the crackheads, I mean donors and alumni will want a big name.

I think FSU should be all in for Luke Fickell. He’s from the Urban Meyer coaching tree, can bring that successful culture to FSU, and he is a very good head coach.

I think FSU should be all in for Luke Fickell. He’s from the Urban Meyer coaching tree, can bring that successful culture to FSU, and he is a very good head coach.

As pointed out on Yahoo, he has basically never lived outside Ohio.

As pointed out on Yahoo, he has basically never lived outside Ohio.

What does that have to do with anything, except maybe his lack of a southern drawl. He has obviously traveled the entire country recruiting players, working with coaches and coaching games.

FSU is train wreck right now. Fleck can do so much better. He would be a fool to take that job with the current state of that program.

FSU is train wreck right now. Fleck can do so much better. He would be a fool to take that job with the current state of that program.

Most perceived better job openings are going to be train wrecks. Otherwise they wouldn't be open. Michigan when they fired Hoke would be considered a "train-wreck," USC after a 5-7 season last year, Notre Dame when the fired Weiss, PSU after the Paterno scandal, hell even some probably thought OSU was a "train wreck" after the Luke Fickell 6-7 season after the Tressell/Terrell Pryor scandal. Of course sometimes you'll get a team that fires a coach that actually did pretty well due to unrealistic expectations like Nebraska and Pelini or maybe the coach retires or goes to the NFL but most of the time there is an opening, it's because of a train-wreck.

FSU won a national championship 6 years ago, made the CFB 5 years ago and had a Heisman winner, is located in the most talent rich state in the entire country and recruits at a very high level. It is a damn good job.

Not that I'm worried for a second that Fleck will leave but FSU very good job.

Seeing how these other coaching hires have gone the last few years makes me appreciate how well Coyle did his job with hiring Fleck.

These days, when you fire someone, you better KNOW who you are going to get before you fire.

Most perceived better job openings are going to be train wrecks. Otherwise they wouldn't be open. Michigan when they fired Hoke would be considered a "train-wreck," USC after a 5-7 season last year, Notre Dame when the fired Weiss, PSU after the Paterno scandal, hell even some probably thought OSU was a "train wreck" after the Luke Fickell 6-7 season after the Tressell/Terrell Pryor scandal. Of course sometimes you'll get a team that fires a coach that actually did pretty well due to unrealistic expectations like Nebraska and Pelini or maybe the coach retires or goes to the NFL but most of the time there is an opening, it's because of a train-wreck.

FSU won a national championship 6 years ago, made the CFB 5 years ago and had a Heisman winner, is located in the most talent rich state in the entire country and recruits at a very high level. It is a damn good job.

Not that I'm worried for a second that Fleck will leave but FSU very good job.

FSU is in a far worse condition than any of those you referred to. The locker room is a cesspool, the boosters don’t support the AD (watch. He will resign before they hire the next coach). The President doesn’t have the support of the BOR (he is expected to resign in the next year).

It’s a cultural cesspool from the bottom to the top and at every level in between.

Look at it this way, Taggart got fired before he completed 2 seasons. He had 1 recruiting class. None of the situations you compare it to offered such a short leash. Why would Fleck want to walk into a school that would fire him after 1.5 seasons?

Last edited:

FSU is in a far worse condition than any of those you referred to. The locker room is a cesspool, the boosters don’t support the AD (watch. He will resign before they hire the next coach). The President doesn’t have the support of the BOR (he is expected to resign in the next year).

It’s a cultural cesspool from the bottom to the top and at every level in between.

Look at it this way, Taggart got fired before he completed 2 seasons. He had 1 recruiting class. None of the situations you compare it to offered such a short leash. Why would Fleck want to walk into a school that would fire him after 1.5 seasons?

Also, their last NC winning coach fled to Texas Junior under complex circumstances. It's one of the best jobs in the country if you're Bobby Bowden, but for anybody else it's an open question.

Rumors going that Bob Stoops will be the next FSU Coach.

Interesting what Kirk Herbstreit had to say about Florida State off-air. The replies in that twitter thread also seemed to indicate that FSU fans agreed with him.

Interesting what Kirk Herbstreit had to say about Florida State off-air. The replies in that twitter thread also seemed to indicate that FSU fans agreed with him.

Two things interesting about this.

#1 - The tweeter is "Go Canes". If I think of undisciplined teams living in the past, Miami is in my top 3.
#2 - How nice it is to have a coach who coaches execution and discipline. (No chirping).

You need to watch the video to get the full read of what Herbstreit said because the quoted lines in the tweet don't tell the whole story. He's not talking about being done with Florida State as a program, but with the 2019 team which he sees as a bunch of guys who talk trash and jaw at the other team while they are playing terribly and have no shot at doing anything thing this season. Within the context of whether PJ Fleck and one of the other potential candidates would back off of the job on this basis, I'd say it probably won't matter. Most college football head coaches have little shortage of ego. Whoever gets the gig will think he can shape those players up and whoever doesn't get with the new script can expect to ride the bench or get run off so his scholarship can be given to a new recruit.

In the Strib article about the PJ's extension, at the end is said that FSU inquired about Fleck according to sources.

In the Strib article about the PJ's extension, at the end is said that FSU inquired about Fleck according to sources.

To be fair, until Fleck starts actively passing on offers, he's going to interest from every other program with a job opening.

If Fleck wants to buy into Minnesota for the long-haul then he needs to have his agent start quashing these rumors.

Otherwise, we should just enjoy the ride, and know that we're probably going to need to pilfer the MAC again in a few years.

I am sure that occurred. FSU would and should be excited if they could get Fleck. Fleck would be foolish to leave for FSU, he will have better offers than that knocking at his door.

Top Bottom