Golden Gophers Open @ +6.5 vs Penn State

And has Penn State ever beaten an 8-0 Minnesota team? Let's check:

Nope.

Yes, you're correct in saying that Penn State 2019 is a better team than recent Penn State teams.

But it's also true that Minnesota 2019 is better than any recent Minnesota team.

I think the Gophers will compete very well. And if the Gophers beat Penn State, I'm betting some local media types will say, "Well, it's obvious that this really isn't a great Penn State team."

My judgment from watching a lot of both teams: This year's PSU team is about equal in overall winning ability as the team that beat Claey's team in OT at Beaver Stadium a few years back. Both are top-10 teams in both talent and overall play (although the style of play has changed). Both were/are very good. But both were/are plenty capable of being beat by quality teams. This year's team nearly (should have) lost at home to Pitt. This year's team nearly blew a 21-0 lead at a White Out home game against Michigan. At this point in the season, I really think this Gopher/PSU game is a tossup.

My judgment from watching a lot of both teams: This year's PSU team is about equal in overall winning ability as the team that beat Claey's team in OT at Beaver Stadium a few years back. Both are top-10 teams in both talent and overall play (although the style of play has changed). Both were/are very good. But both were/are plenty capable of being beat by quality teams. This year's team nearly (should have) lost at home to Pitt. This year's team nearly blew a 21-0 lead at a White Out home game against Michigan. At this point in the season, I really think this Gopher/PSU game is a tossup.

I agree completely. This Penn State squad does indeed look similar in quality to the Saquon Barkley-Christian Hackenberg B1G Champion team.

You did a really good job of making a logical case. Well done!

Cashing a college parlay tomorrow @ Diamond Jo’s, putting the winnings on Gophers moneyline for next week

My Amazon app says 77% of people think the Gophers will win...

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

This is probably the best all around PSU team post Sandusky scandal.
I have a hunch that the Gophers will carve the PSU secondary up with deep crossing routes. I’m hoping the Gophers players and coaches have cooked up a really good and fun game plan. If the weather is dry and fair I think the Gophers passing game will be hard to stop.

I had no idea where this line would open up. That said, looking at where Penn State's other road conference game lines have closed (the Gophers game is just opening obviously) this does seem like disrepect. Penn State was the same 6.5 point favorites to close at Maryland, Penn State was only 3.5 point favorites to close at Iowa, and Penn State was only 5.5 point favorites to close at Michigan State. Obviously there should be no need for any motivation here, but interesting that the line isn't closer given the Gophers performance to date.

The media types keep pointing out that the Gophers schedule is what it is, and the Nittany Lions represent a much bigger challenge than the Gophers have faced to date. This is all undeniably true.

I think there's a chance that the reverse may also be true.

I think Minnesota is playing like a better team than the Michigan and Iowa squads Penn State has faced.

I'm more than confident that the Gophers are vastly better than the rest of Penn State's victims: Idaho, Buffalo, Pitt, Maryland, Purdue and Michigan State.

The media types keep pointing out that the Gophers schedule is what it is, and the Nittany Lions represent a much bigger challenge than the Gophers have faced to date. This is all undeniably true.

I think there's a chance that the reverse may also be true.

I think Minnesota is playing like a better team than the Michigan and Iowa squads Penn State has faced.

I'm more than confident that the Gophers are vastly better than the rest of Penn State's victims: Idaho, Buffalo, Pitt, Maryland, Purdue and Michigan State.

Your point has merit in that MN may be the best team they have faced so far - but I think the point being made is that they have been much more tested. The best team we have played is who - Purdue? I see they played Purdue and 4 teams that are better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely true that the Gophers haven't been tested.

Exam Day is almost here, however...

This is probably the best all around PSU team post Sandusky scandal.
I have a hunch that the Gophers will carve the PSU secondary up with deep crossing routes. I’m hoping the Gophers players and coaches have cooked up a really good and fun game plan. If the weather is dry and fair I think the Gophers passing game will be hard to stop.

If Minnesota's game plan is to throw deep crossing routes the game will get ugly quick. Penn State is among the best in the country at sacking the QB. Those long developing routes will result in a lot of sacks. Michigan had success with quick passes and roll outs by the QB.

So what game was the most impressive victory for Penn st?

The 2016 PSU team and 2019 are completely different. The 2016 team has probably the best skill players in the country but the O-line was awful. They had Barkley, Chris Godwin is a top 10 WR in the NFL right now, Hamilton is the schools all-time leading receiver, TE Gesicki is PSU's all-time leader for a tight end and a second round draft pick, and McSorley broke every passing record in the school's history. But the O-line was terrible and the defense was average. There were no difference makers in the front 7 like there are now with Gross-Matos, Windsor and Parsons. PSU also has their best pair of corners they have had in 15 years right now. PSU's offense now is very talented, but extremely young at the skill positions. All but 2 TD's have been by sophomores or freshman this year. But this is the best o-line Franklin has had since he's been here and easily his best defense. There's really very little comparisons between the two teams.

Top Bottom