AP Week #11

Tully55

Reaction score
Minnesota still at 13....PSU 5...MI 14

Ohio State should be in the top 2. Too bad a 1 vs 2 matchup is more important than choosing the best teams first.

Florida and Auburn are both way too high. Being 1-2 against top 25 teams isn't that impressive. Sure the Gophers haven't played anyone in the top 25 but it's better to not have the chance to prove yourself than to have the chance and be below .500.

Clemson is also way too high. Why is not playing any top 25 teams a reason to leave us out of the top 10 but they're in the top 4 in the same situation?

If they apply their logic across the board the Gophers should still be in the top 25 if they lose to Penn State and Iowa as long as they don't get blown out.

The Gophers seem to thrive on being underrated so maybe it's a good thing the Gophers didn't move up.

If the Gophers win next Saturday, then those 2-loss SEC teams will be eating our dust in the polls.

It seems like Pen State at 8-0 and ranked #5 is a must win to jump some teams ahead of you. You will still have to win out but if your team beats Penn. State I think your staff and players will super determined to go 12 - 0 and forward! If you lose to PS you will drop and even winning your last few games may not get the Gophers into the TOP 10!

Thats why the Gophers will win against Penn. St.

Ohio State should be in the top 2. Too bad a 1 vs 2 matchup is more important than choosing the best teams first.

Florida and Auburn are both way too high. Being 1-2 against top 25 teams isn't that impressive. Sure the Gophers haven't played anyone in the top 25 but it's better to not have the chance to prove yourself than to have the chance and be below .500.

Clemson is also way too high. Why is not playing any top 25 teams a reason to leave us out of the top 10 but they're in the top 4 in the same situation?

If they apply their logic across the board the Gophers should still be in the top 25 if they lose to Penn State and Iowa as long as they don't get blown out.

The Gophers seem to thrive on being underrated so maybe it's a good thing the Gophers didn't move up.

The biggest issue with these polls is that they start them way too early to give TV something to promote and fans something to talk about. If a team like Clemson starts out ranked really high and then keeps winning in a weak conference it is going to be tough to move them down at all because of it.

One thing the CFP does right is wait until much later in the season to release the initial rankings. Get a better look at how good teams actually are as opposed to guessing how good you think they are going to be.

In the end though the rankings right now don't really matter anyway (although would much rather be ranked then unranked). All that matters is where you are ranked at the end of the season when the dust settles.

9-0 coming off a win over #5 PSU? No way they aren't top 5 right? Could you still put a one loss team above them at that point?

Indiana almost cracking the top 25 is strange. Probably has a lot to do with weak resumes around them in the polls.

Last edited:

9-0 coming off a win over #5 PSU? No way they aren't top 5 right? Could you still put a one loss team above them at that point?

Indiana almost cracking the top 25 is strange. Probably has a lot to do with weak resumes around them in the polls.

I could see them putting a one loss team above us in that scenario, but at that point it would be pretty ridiculous.

If it happens, then I guess I don't see why you wouldn't trade up the Gophers to Penn St's current spot.

The teams who we played who were supposed to be good (Nebraska and Purdue) have suffered since we beat them. That's hurt us.
Illinois now looks like a better win, and they were considered a laughing stock when we played them.

Even WI and Iowa have faltered which is good for our chances to win the West, but bad for rankings.

There is no way we go ahead of the Bama-LSU game loser unless it is a complete blow out. Biblical proportion blow-out! Like Nebraska-Minnesota 83-7 type blow-out!

The teams who we played who were supposed to be good (Nebraska and Purdue) have suffered since we beat them. That's hurt us.
Illinois now looks like a better win, and they were considered a laughing stock when we played them.

Even WI and Iowa have faltered which is good for our chances to win the West, but bad for rankings.

Very accurate summary. Well said!

If we keep winning, at some point how our opponents do will stop mattering. A 13-0 B1G champ will be heading to the CFP, no matter how many bad losses Nebraska has.

It seems like Pen State at 8-0 and ranked #5 is a must win to jump some teams ahead of you. You will still have to win out but if your team beats Penn. State I think your staff and players will super determined to go 12 - 0 and forward! If you lose to PS you will drop and even winning your last few games may not get the Gophers into the TOP 10!

Thats why the Gophers will win against Penn. St.

I think you will be 9-0 with the win over Penn. State. The win over Penn State will allow the Gophers to leap frog to # 10 or better. Still many pollsters are biased and this year is your first real comeback. The Gophers hopefully will win out and force the NCAA and pollsters to take a hard look at Minnesota. You also need some help from the teams in front of the gophers to lose when you beat Penn. State.

There is no way we go ahead of the Bama-LSU game loser unless it is a complete blow out. Biblical proportion blow-out! Like Nebraska-Minnesota 83-7 type blow-out!
Alabama has beat no one of substance. Their most impressive win is over an unranked Texas A&M. If they lose to LSU by anything other than a hail mary, last second field goal, or a fluke play, the Gophers will be ranked over Alabama with a victory over Penn State.

I think you will be 9-0 with the win over Penn. State. The win over Penn State will allow the Gophers to leap frog to # 10 or better. Still many pollsters are biased and this year is your first real comeback. The Gophers hopefully will win out and force the NCAA and pollsters to take a hard look at Minnesota. You also need some help from the teams in front of the gophers to lose when you beat Penn. State.

Get a run game going and eliminate turnovers, I like our chances.

And this is one of the questions that I've been asking for a while now. How many undefeated (Power Five) teams have there been at this point in the season?

Wouldn't it make sense for the CFP committee to put the undefeated teams at the top....at LEAST ahead of all the two loss teams (and some of the one loss teams)? If Baylor and Minnesota are undeserving of those rankings and stumble against better competition, it's easy to move them down the very next week, and move those one loss SEC teams right back up. But if the Gophers beat Penn State while those other one loss teams continue to win as well....how does the committee justify jumping the Gophers multiple spots? Because at some point....you'd have to move the undefeated Power Five teams that you didn't believe in, ahead of those one loss teams....right? Now you'll have the SEC heads complaining like crazy.

Why not put us high to start, since we are undefeated. and move us down when we lose? Especially if the pollsters are so sure that we are a paper tiger. Seems like the easier route for them. I guess we'll see. If they choose to stick with what they've got....they better have the balls to make some significant changes after this next weekend if the Gophers knock out Penn State.

Last edited:

I would love to hear how the performances of wisconsin and Iowa (teams we haven't played yet) are affecting our rankings. Thanks in advance.

Alabama has beat no one of substance. Their most impressive win is over an unranked Texas A&M. If they lose to LSU by anything other than a hail mary, last second field goal, or a fluke play, the Gophers will be ranked over Alabama with a victory over Penn State.

Honestly, no dig at you or what you think, but I bet we wouldn't be. In fact, I bet we would have more than 1 one loss team in front of us. Unless we kill Penn St I don't see us passing the loser of Alabama/LSU or even Georgia. The SEC bias is insane.

Let's just go 1-0 vs. PSU and let things hash out ...

TALON-GSUsTALON

Get a run game going and eliminate turnovers, I like our chances.

I think the Gophers will get enough yardage in both ground and air to score enough points to win the game.

Do I think you will blow out PS- NO! but you can beat them.

I would love to hear how the performances of wisconsin and Iowa (teams we haven't played yet) are affecting our rankings. Thanks in advance.
I think he means future rankings.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom