PJ Fleck Interview new - Sunday 11-3-19

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Gopher football coach PJ Fleck appeared on the Sports Huddle on WCCO Radio.

Sid: Have you ever had a game that was more important to prepare for?
PJ: they're all important, or you don't get a game that's important. the players have earned the pressure they feel. important for our fan base, student body. we've had a long time to prepare. we've got to play better than we did 2 weeks ago.

Sid: is the team 100% healthy?
PJ: after the 1st day of camp, nobody's 100% healthy. try to be as healthy as you can we. we're working on that

Sid: does Penn State have any weaknesses?
PJ: hard to find them. James Franklin is one of my best friends. he's done a great job. they play 22 guys on defense. rotate. they have depth everywhere. talented. efficient. defense is long, talented, athletic. QB is playing at a high level. James is a tremendous football coach. they have put themselves in position for a playoff game.

Max: how do you use bye week?
PJ: at WMU, played on Tuesdays, Thursdays. Had 5 day weeks. we had it all. helped prepare us. we know how to deal with short weeks, long weeks. we had that a lot at WMU. last week we practiced Tues, Weds, Thurs. had a few days off. Practice today. get into Tues, Weds, Thurs of game week. got a head start. coaches went out recruiting. recruiting for 2020, 2021 and future years.

Mona: % of time recruit 2020 vs 2021. // your performance on ice with Gopher Hockey...
PJ: (laughing) in order to to improve, you must have been bad to begin with. it was a wonderful opportunity. When Bob Motzko asks, can't say no. really good to see those guys. really young team. similar to us last year. I don't skate very often. // 2020 class -spending lot of time on those 2020's, look ahead to 2021. really focused on solidifying the 2020 class. check with their High Schools, see they're getting the grades, working hard, check in with guidance counselors, teachers. we never stop recruiting that class.

Sid: lot of people speculating about you leaving for a big-time job. are you happy here?
PJ: MN is a big-time job. Heather and I love it here. our kids love it here. We have a lot of things to finish. we love living here.

Max: I cover HS football. See a lot of games decided by kickers. how do you evaluate kickers? See them in games, or go off camps?
PJ: got to see them kick in a game. coaches do a good job trying to evaluate them in pressure situations. kicking game-winners. it comes down to camps, get to see them in summer. see them compete against each other. it's a difficult position to recruit and evaluate. we have some kickers who can continue to get better.

Mona: Bobby Bell is one of the greatest FB players in Gopher history. can today's kids identify with him?
PJ: our players know who he is. when we bring in a speaker, they have to research that person. they know he's one of the best Gophers ever. He's done so much for our program. he's a special human being. loves U of MN. most of my office is full of his merchandise. Chapstick, BBQ sauce, he's got it all. (laughs) Every time he sees Heather, he gives her a Chapstick.

Max: he looks like he could still put the pads on.
PJ: He'd be the 1st one off the bus - maybe right after Faalele.

Sid: how important is the crowd?
PJ: That's what college Football is all about. two of the top teams in the country playing at TCF. 11am kickoff. we're in the hunt for the B1G West title race. here we are. going to be an electric atmosphere. one of biggest games in MN history. fun to be a part of. Our campus game day crew has a ton of things planned.

Mona: Coughlin recognized at banquet. more than just football.
PJ: we have some really impressive seniors. they've been through a lot. some people left, some people stayed. Coughlin fully committed. Look at the team's GPA -shows these young men are true student-athletes. take it very seriously. they've been out in the community more than ever. their schedules are unbelievable. they're busy from 6:00am to 10:00pm.

Max: NCAA ruling. what are coaches saying?
PJ: change is inevitable. that's what I love about U of MN. We provide an elite experience for student-athletes. We will work with the B1G. whether it's a change to scholarship, NIL, there's a lot to go through with the legal battle. I support anything that makes the experience better for student-athletes.

Sid: Are the players excited about the game?
PJ: It's hard to get more excited for one game more than another. have to take it in stride. we enjoyed where we were at 8-0. then get back to work. they love to find a way to get better. they love the process. That's what you promote as a coach. this is a team you're getting it back from.

Mona: 4 games left. use of red-shirt rule.
PJ: I think we're in a great position. we've handled it well. always look back after the season. have three games left with Cam Wiley. have packages for him, play on Special Teams. don't know if we might need him at TB. only three more games. some guys already burned their red-shirt and we won't use them again. other guys can still keep their red-shirt.

Sid: What stands out about Penn State?
PJ: dominance. no matter who they play. they play at a high level. they're an elite football team. we've got to take care of us. they are very talented. we've got to be at our best.

Sid: upset about ESPN Gameday not coming here?
PJ: hard to turn down 1 vs 2 in Tuscaloosa. our game is 5 vs 13 - others are 1 vs 2. hard to turn that down. We have to find a way to have our own gameday here.

Mona: Maryland game. saw you play some kids at the end of game. Fans asking, who are those guys?
PJ: That's what's exciting. We said we wanted to make this a developmental program. take HS student-athletes and develop them. at first, we were young and inexperienced. then we're able to start red-shirting Freshmen, start to provide depth. be able to reload instead of rebuild. we're still not there yet. Potts, Clark, Van Dyne. lot of young D linemen. Carter made plays for us. fans get to see who's behind the curtain.

Sid: tickets left for this game. need your support. Fan interest. scream and yell. The University should do everything it can to keep you here. Murray's.
PJ: RTB, Ski-U-Mah, Go Gophers.

Love the answer to the question about other jobs. Doesn't mean the speculation will end but people really do need to stop viewing this as a MAC job. It will take something truly great for him to leave here, he isn't just going to jump ship to the first school that offers a bigger contract then the one he has at the U.

Love the answer to the question about other jobs. Doesn't mean the speculation will end but people really do need to stop viewing this as a MAC job. It will take something truly great for him to leave here, he isn't just going to jump ship to the first school that offers a bigger contract then the one he has at the U.

I think he gave similar answers at WMU. Obviously, this is a much better job, but I’m not going to put much stock in what he says.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Heather will give us a good chance to keep him for awhile. I've heard multiple times that she loves the big city. There's no doubt she'll have a lot of say in his decisions.

IMO, if I were PJ Fleck and Heather why move? The Twin Cities is a big little city offering a lot. A great place to raise a family.

This is a great place to build a football dynasty. Once the Gophers reached the threshold of winning big time games. Upsurge in recruiting will result. Winning brings more winning which make winning titles and championship a possibility. He can have a legendary career here.

IMO, if I were PJ Fleck and Heather why move? The Twin Cities is a big little city offering a lot. A great place to raise a family.

This is a great place to build a football dynasty. Once the Gophers reached the threshold of winning big time games. Upsurge in recruiting will result. Winning brings more winning which make winning titles and championship a possibility. He can have a legendary career here.
What I highlighted is important! Fleck wants to be legendary, a lot of the schools that people think he might jump to have recent legends to contend with, ours are ghosts.

As always thanks for the report Son! Nice job and we appreciate you doing this. Exciting week coming up!

I love posters telling us what Fleck wants and what is important to him. My personal favorite tho was yesterday when a poster told us they get a “want to stay here” vibe from Heather. Really good stuff.

I love posters telling us what Fleck wants and what is important to him. My personal favorite tho was yesterday when a poster told us they get a “want to stay here” vibe from Heather. Really good stuff.

These are Fleck's words from his introductory press conference about his motivation.

What I am here to do is change a culture. To change the movement, for us to create and experience things that the University of Minnesota football has only dreamed off and hasn't accomplished since the late '60s. With all due respect, that's why I took the job. My entire life has been about running into the fire, not away from the fire.

I interpret that to mean he wants to build his own legacy.

These are Fleck's words from his introductory press conference about his motivation.

What I am here to do is change a culture. To change the movement, for us to create and experience things that the University of Minnesota football has only dreamed off and hasn't accomplished since the late '60s. With all due respect, that's why I took the job. My entire life has been about running into the fire, not away from the fire.

I interpret that to mean he wants to build his own legacy.

Oh, I didn’t know he said that at his introductory presser. Clearly that is what he wants then.

Women at the bar always want me too.

You know that's why Willie Taggart is gone - he said Tallahassee is only so-so and he'd gladly take a job elsewhere... :)

Top Bottom