Shooter: There’s whispering about WCCO-AM taking over Gophers football & basketball

Please, no.

The signal is pretty great, especially after dark, so I'd be fine with WCCO getting it back.

Learfield and the U of M control the broadcasts now if recent trends continue, so the current on air talent would continue. I can understand the fears of Dave Lee returning to the throne though.

Having said all that I am not a hater of KFAN, and they do a pretty good job overall with the Gophers, and all the KFAN shows treat the Gophers a lot better since they have a business relationship.

I would prefer the Gophers stay on KFAN, but WCCO seems to be making a big push again in sports, starting with the return of the Twins, then the hiring of Henry Lake. Sid is all but gone, but I fear the day that Mike Max has an even bigger presence on WCCO. Mike Max..... barf

Last edited:

Thought the U just signed a new deal with KFAN last year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only thing I don't like about KFAN is Meatsauce.

What would this do to WCCO carrying St. Thomas football?

More serious question is whether CCO would continue carrying the Timberwolves. I would think there would be a lot of conflicts between the Wolves and Gopher Hoops.

as far as KFAN, if the Gophers left, then they could just spend 100% of the day drooling over the Vikings, instead of the current 85% ratio.

When I saw WCCO and Gophers mentioned in the same sentence, I immediately had fond memories of Ray Christiansen, wash over me. Dang I miss that voice. I wish there was more archived audio available to re-listen to him.

It’s time for a 24/7 Gopher Sports talk radio station in the Twin Cities.
That should be the demand of the U. That’s what exists in other similar markets.

It’s time for a 24/7 Gopher Sports talk radio station in the Twin Cities.
That should be the demand of the U. That’s what exists in other similar markets.
Yes... And then we could have a weekly "Mark Coyle's Fireside Chat" segment. Just imagine the eloquence.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

KFAN contract with Gophers run through 2022-2023 athletic season.

The signal is pretty great, especially after dark, so I'd be fine with WCCO getting it back.

Learfield and the U of M control the broadcasts now if recent trends continue, so the current on air talent would continue. I can understand the fears of Dave Lee returning to the throne though.

Having said all that I am not a hater of KFAN, and they do a pretty good job overall with the Gophers, and all the KFAN shows treat the Gophers a lot better since they have a business relationship.

I would prefer the Gophers stay on KFAN, but WCCO seems to be making a big push again in sports, starting with the return of the Twins, then the hiring of Henry Lake. Sid is all but gone, but I fear the day that Mike Max has an even bigger presence on WCCO. Mike Max..... barf

I don't agree on the signal...it fades in and out in the metro and still sounds like it is coming out of a tin can. No comparison in audio quality.

This nugget is rendered worthless as soon as you get to the part that reads “per Shooter”

I heard that when Fleck was on their morning show the other day, they made him shut off his mic because he's been such a tool toward the U.

Well whoever you heard that from lied to you (and didnt listen to the segment) cause he asks the second question of the interview which was about how important Game Day coming here would be.

Yes... And then we could have a weekly "Mark Coyle's Fireside Chat" segment. Just imagine the eloquence.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
That in fact would be good. He would have a lot of material - just alone on how markedly much better the Athletic Department is now compared to the Maturi “era”. And yes, it would be decidedly more eloquent, too. Mr. Coyle still has work to do, but I am both confident he’ll get it done (and well) and very happy he’s there to do it,

Gophers will get better coverage if they stick with KFAN.

Meatsauce is thin skinned.

I like KFAN in the early morning and afternoon drive. If WCCO can reach a much greater audience in greater Minnesota, more power to them. The whole state will be interested in listening to the Gophers.

I like KFAN in the early morning and afternoon drive. If WCCO can reach a much greater audience in greater Minnesota, more power to them. The whole state will be interested in listening to the Gophers.

Doesn't the U/Learfield control the radio network for Gopher sports? Not sure the "flagship" makes that big of a difference.

WCCO has a stronger signal of course, but several of KFAN's shows are picked up in smaller markets around the state. It seems like every time I'm traveling towards Fargo, Bemidji or Duluth I can find a radio station that carries a KFAN show. Not sure about WCCO's shows.

I heard that when Fleck was on their morning show the other day, they made him shut off his mic because he's been such a tool toward the U.
They wouldn't need to Meatsauce is a coward and can't articulate a sentence.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

FWIW, with streaming audio, your radio 'network' area is anywhere someone has a computer, laptop, tablet or smart phone. As I type this, I'm listening to the Sports Huddle on my computer.

If you are reasonable tech-savvy, you could listen to Gopher sports on the radio anywhere in the world.

WCCO still exists? Does anyone under 65 know that?

Just say no to AM radio. Twins went back and broadcast on radio are no longer clear and hard to understand. Dave Lee better never be lead broadcaster again, Grim is 100 times better.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

With FM you can listen on the FM radio app on your phone (if your phone has the FM receiver enabled). Can't get AM on the phone.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Well whoever you heard that from lied to you (and didnt listen to the segment) cause he asks the second question of the interview which was about how important Game Day coming here would be.

Yeah I happened to hear it and was surprised by how good the interview went.

Top Bottom