Shooter: There’s whispering about WCCO-AM taking over Gophers football & basketball

What would this do to WCCO carrying St. Thomas football?

More serious question is whether CCO would continue carrying the Timberwolves. I would think there would be a lot of conflicts between the Wolves and Gopher Hoops.

as far as KFAN, if the Gophers left, then they could just spend 100% of the day drooling over the Vikings, instead of the current 85% ratio.

Haha....99.9999999% of Minnesotans could care less about st thomas ...honestly. Please no more WCCO...no more dave lee....those years were unbearable.

Shooter: There’s whispering about WCCO-AM taking over Gophers football & ?

tenor.gif

I don't see this happening. I hope it doesn't happen for a million reasons.

I don't live there anymore, but going back to AM wouldn't be great. Granted, who really cares where they are on radio? It's not like KFAN gave them any extra coverage outside of gameday because that deal.

The signal is pretty great, especially after dark, so I'd be fine with WCCO getting it back.

Learfield and the U of M control the broadcasts now if recent trends continue, so the current on air talent would continue. I can understand the fears of Dave Lee returning to the throne though.

Having said all that I am not a hater of KFAN, and they do a pretty good job overall with the Gophers, and all the KFAN shows treat the Gophers a lot better since they have a business relationship.

I would prefer the Gophers stay on KFAN, but WCCO seems to be making a big push again in sports, starting with the return of the Twins, then the hiring of Henry Lake. Sid is all but gone, but I fear the day that Mike Max has an even bigger presence on WCCO. Mike Max..... barf

Yes, they are 50k watts - I had friends who picked them up in South Dakota. I could get 'CCO clearly by 5 p.m. when living in Maryland.

When I saw WCCO and Gophers mentioned in the same sentence, I immediately had fond memories of Ray Christiansen, wash over me. Dang I miss that voice. I wish there was more archived audio available to re-listen to him.

WCCO was soooooooo good back in the day. My favorite other than Ray Christiansen was Steve Cannon with the Cannon Mess(Morgan Mundane, Backlash LaRue, Ma Linger, etc.), Gopher and North Star hockey play-by-play.

Don't count Shooter out so fast on this one. When Entercom bought WCCO and a number of CBS affiliates a stated goal was to get more sports. They started here with getting the Twins back. One would "hope" that Gopher Sports Properties and Learfield would still control the choice of broadcasters if there was a move. Seems like they do control it now as if you listen to the tag lines at the end of the broadcasts now they say something like the broadcasters are through them.

No idea what the likelihood of change would be - it is all about the $$ someone is willing to pay for the rights.

But, if it happened, agreed, no Dave Lee - that would be awful...........

KFAN contract with Gophers run through 2022-2023 athletic season.

^^^^^

Pus, I think the U likes the arrangement with iHeart Media.

With KOOL-108's signal strength the same as the Fan's, it is guaranteed that games will be heard when there is a conflict with the Wild or Vikings (for the opening Thursday game or basketball). What would the arrangement with CCO be in September for Twins' conflicts or during the BB season with Timberwolves conflicts?

FM has always sounded better than AM but in recent years, in newer vehicles, it may just be my imagination but AM signals are now nearly un-listenable. In both my vehicles, WCCO sounds like the speakers have been submerged in a vat of oil. I'm assuming and hoping this is another in a long line of incorrect shooter tidbits.

FM has always sounded better than AM but in recent years, in newer vehicles, it may just be my imagination but AM signals are now nearly un-listenable. In both my vehicles, WCCO sounds like the speakers have been submerged in a vat of oil. I'm assuming and hoping this is another in a long line of incorrect shooter tidbits.

I've noticed the same thing in my car.

The Hawk hate baffles me. One of the nicest guys Ive met.

Agree,he is best guy on the morning show.

I only listen to their show because I know of nothing better. Years ago I listened to KQRS like so many others, but they eventually wore me out. Started to listen to KFAN with Mike Morris and crew. Have stuck with it because so few good options.

Last edited:

WCCO was soooooooo good back in the day. My favorite other than Ray Christiansen was Steve Cannon with the Cannon Mess(Morgan Mundane, Backlash LaRue, Ma Linger, etc.), Gopher and North Star hockey play-by-play.

Agree! I'll add in some odd evening shows/segments. There was a scary/mystery show that had a creaking door the intro. And some segment called "Point of Law" narrated by either Boone or Erickson.

Top Bottom