Shooter: It’s too early to consider a contract extension for PJ Fleck

**** off Shooter

He's underpaid for an average Big Ten West coach which is the minimum he'll be this year with a chance at a historic year

Pay the man

Well if Shooter says we shouldn't do it then we absolutely should and probably as quickly as humanly possible.

Well if Shooter says we shouldn't do it then we absolutely should and probably as quickly as humanly possible.

It is possible to do it right now , tonight but it is a little more complicated than that. Coyle has people he answers too. Beat PSU. Not a single top line booster is stepping forward to support that without winning something.

I disagree. Although some wont like it the reality is that if you dont want him poached by another school you have to pay up, even if it is only based on 1-2 years. He should get offered a 5 million a year deal for at least 7 years, putting him in the top half of the B10 coaches, at least in my opinion...

I think Coach Fleck is enough of a football coach to want to finish business in the 2019 Big Ten Football season before he would even consider thinking about getting into a knock down, dragged out wrassling match with AD Coyle fighting about perks...benefits...highly leveraged financial details such as annuities, bonus options or base salary increases while listening for his phone to ring with offers during this season. All the fun stuff that comes with being a rich man becoming even richer couldn't really be enjoyed, And, what would he tell his players?

He has a winning percentage in Big Ten games at Minnesota of .435. He is 2/3 through a perfect Big Ten season that has an incredibly difficult month of November remaining. He has a date coming up with the current #5 team in the nation in less than a week. A win then over PSU would raise his Big Ten winning percentage to .458. Or, a loss could drop his BTWP to .417. Some of the thrill would be gone. He would really have to bring the squad back up to get ready for a must win trip to Iowa City. No time for contracts now!

I think Shooter is correct. The month of November is going to dictate if this will bring a "gold rush..." or a "bitter end" to the stories of potential suitors for Coach Fleck's services. He could become an even hotter commodity if he brings the team to Indy in that first week of December. But, that is so far away and such a dream today.

Beat PSU and things will get even more interesting. Some folks here will be getting really nervous. They won't know if they want the GOPHER to win or lose against PSU...Iowa...NU or Wisky. They may be too head over heals in love with Coach Fleck and too afraid to lose him if he has even MORE success in the Big Ten this season than he has already had.

Be calm. Be cool. Enjoy everything this incredibly fun season has in store for all of us. This intensity of a possible championship November is new and rare. Relish every emotion that it may bring. As the games: "...dwindle down...to a precious few..." many questions will be answered. Rock on Gopher Fans! This will perhaps be a November we have all waited such a long time for.

Winning big in November may have consequences for the GOPHER Football Program. Can we handle what December may bring? Have a little faith that what is meant to be will happen for the GOPHER players, coaches and fans.

Last edited:

**** off Shooter

He's underpaid for an average Big Ten West coach which is the minimum he'll be this year with a chance at a historic year

Pay the man

He’ll get an extension and a raise this year. The next 4-5 games will determine the scope the U will come to the table with. Regardless of what shooter says.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He’ll get an extension and a raise this year. The next 4-5 games will determine the scope the U will come to the table with. Regardless of what shooter says.

Isn't that pretty much what Shooter is saying?

This article is just to get a rise out of Gopher fans.

I think a fair amount of GHers are doing that all by themselves. I expect they have already talked about sitting down after the season to work out a contract. Both sides have incentive to wait and see how the season plays out.

Again, there isn’t a single Gopher fan who thinks that Fleck won’t get an extension after this season.

The remainder of the season will determine how long and how much $$$.

If I understand the "wait and see" position:

The amount offered by the U for Fleck's impending contract extension will be subject to change, up or down, based on how the team performs over the next 4 games.

Is that a fair interpretation of the "wait and see" position?

Yes, that, and also it’s impractical for coach to negotiate the new contract in the middle of the season.

If I understand the "wait and see" position:

The amount offered by the U for Fleck's impending contract extension will be subject to change, up or down, based on how the team performs over the next 4 games.

Is that a fair interpretation of the "wait and see" position?

It goes both ways. Fleck has just as much incentive to wait. Millions of incentives to wait. He knows he will get a raise and extension.

This article is just to get a rise out of Gopher fans.

Yet, a rise from some fans in response to Shooter’s shots will never give rise to a raise that will satisfy the current rising demand of those fans.

Good point and on one level very true. However, Gopher fans have little impact and next to no authority in their desire to secure the services of PJ Fleck at a higher rate of compensation for a longer period of time. In that sense, no amount of Gopher fan angst or flat out panic will give rise to a satisfaction of their: “... make the coach row his boat forever on Lake Minnetonka...” passions.

No, the outcomes of the next four games of the 2019 BT football season will determine the fate of the extending of an offer of a greatly enhanced and enriched contractual agreement between the coach and the prexy and the prexy’s AD.

It really is so simple. The fate of the wishes of the Average Goldie loving boat rower: all depends on the outcome of the remaining four BT games of this 2019 BT season. In the end, the prexy will get exactly what the prexy really wants for the football program. If PJ’s team wins enough of those games, we’ll all see how much The University of Minnesota Football Team and his program at the U means to PJ Fleck... And to the new prexy at the U...

Beat the stinking team from the state of PA, Gopher!

Last edited:

Winning in November will clear out the fog pretty quick.

.. - .----. ... -... .. --. - . -. .-- .. -. ... - .... .- - -.-. --- ..- -. -

Winning in November will clear out the fog pretty quick.

.. - .----. ... -... .. --. - . -. .-- .. -. ... - .... .- - -.-. --- ..- -. -

.. -. -.. . . -.. ·-·-·- .. ... . . ..-. --- ..- .-. -.-. .... .- -. -.-. . ... --- ..-. ..-. - .... . ... - .- .-. -... --- .- .-. -.. -... --- .--

.. -. -.. . . -.. ·-·-·- .. ... . . ..-. --- ..- .-. -.-. .... .- -. -.-. . ... --- ..-. ..-. - .... . ... - .- .-. -... --- .- .-. -.. -... --- .--

Agreed.

DON'T FORGET TO DRINK YOUR OVALTINE.

8 year contract, $5.0 million base, $250k bonus for top 2 finish in big10 west, $500k for top 10 bowl. $6 million coaches buyout or Require new hiring college to play 2 games - home n away game w UofM.

So many ways this season and negotiations could go over the next 4 weeks. It’s a scary ride and there are some nervous passengers

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Xkg7dp1QY9k" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I disagree. Although some wont like it the reality is that if you dont want him poached by another school you have to pay up, even if it is only based on 1-2 years. He should get offered a 5 million a year deal for at least 7 years, putting him in the top half of the B10 coaches, at least in my opinion...

This goes exactly what I am thinking, too. The Gophers need that continuity that the Badgers enjoyed with Alvarez and the Hawkeyes enjoyed with Fry, then Ferentz. Fleck is getting to be a hot name and that is even before you play the big guns coming up. You really run the risk of him getting poached at the end of the year if you don't lock him down or at least have some preliminary talks going on.

Right now we have a good thing going and we need to do everything we can to continue this momentum. We are in a very similar situation now that we were in right before Lou Holtz left. We were starting to enjoy some success and just when things were looking very good, WHAM!!! So let's not repeat that same mistake again. Get this done or you could lose your coach at the end of the year.

Why all the Morse code?

Fun with a certain walrus.

.- -.-- . .- .--- ..- -. --. .-.. . - --- -... . ... ..- .-. . .-.. .. --- -. ... --..-- .... .- .-- -.- ... --..-- .-- .. .-.. -.. -.-. .- - ... --..-- .- -. -.. ...- .- --. -.. --. . .-. ... - --- -... . ... ..- .-. .

as always, there are at least two sides to the issue.

the "do extension now" argument - if the Gophers knock off Penn State, Fleck becomes even a hotter commodity, and the price to keep him probably goes up.

the "wait and see" argument - if the Gophers stumble down the stretch - maybe go 1-3 in the last 4 games with trophy losses to IA and WI - that takes a lot of the shine off the current season, and all of a sudden, Fleck is not as hot a prospect for other jobs.

I continue to believe that - at the very least - there will be another 1 or 2 years tacked onto the current deal with a salary bump that gets Fleck closer to the mid-point among B1G coaches. The real negotiation is not going to be between Fleck's agent and Coyle. The real negotiation is going to be between Coyle, the new President and the Regents to get them to approve a pay raise.

Fun with a certain walrus.

.- -.-- . .- .--- ..- -. --. .-.. . - --- -... . ... ..- .-. . .-.. .. --- -. ... --..-- .... .- .-- -.- ... --..-- .-- .. .-.. -.. -.-. .- - ... --..-- .- -. -.. ...- .- --. -.. --. . .-. ... - --- -... . ... ..- .-. .

We can be certain that: “...the walrus was (not) Paul...”

Any time the walrus appears on GOPHERHOLE with his comments underscored with a line of Morse it is code that states ”wren was here” in honor of all the times wren was sent packing from this site.

It really has been a blast coming and going through out all these decades!

No, the 8-0 deserves a reward, regardless of what happens this month. Nail this guy down. His teams are much more disciplined and enthusiastic as TEAMS than, say Nebraska, and they improve as the season goes on. He and his wife seem to love the state, so keep him here for a decade or more. He is underpaid now, as others here have pointed out.

No, the 8-0 deserves a reward, regardless of what happens this month. Nail this guy down. His teams are much more disciplined and enthusiastic as TEAMS than, say Nebraska, and they improve as the season goes on. He and his wife seem to love the state, so keep him here for a decade or more. He is underpaid now, as others here have pointed out.

The question I'll ask again - is $5MM a year enough to really gain any security? Do you think FSU would be unwilling to pay more than that? Or USC? Or Notre Dame? Or Michigan? Or Tennessee?

I'm not saying don't give him a raise - he's earned one. And $5MM is probably about right based on the rest of the B1G coaches, even though I still say Brohm and Frost are grossly overpaid which distorts that value. But to think $5MM / year is going to stop Fleck from leaving in and of itself is crazy. If he wants a job at a helmet school the U simply can't pay him enough to prevent them from hiring him away. The question is whether that's what he wants and whether he's who they want.

Top Bottom