Shooter: It’s too early to consider a contract extension for PJ Fleck

Just had to bump this so we can all appreciate the great, enduring sports wisdom of Shooter. Now that Fleck has signed an extension three days after shooter wrote this, I guess that must mean it was a bad idea to do the extension now. Mwhahahahaha

The question I'll ask again - is $5MM a year enough to really gain any security? Do you think FSU would be unwilling to pay more than that? Or USC? Or Notre Dame? Or Michigan? Or Tennessee?

I'm not saying don't give him a raise - he's earned one. And $5MM is probably about right based on the rest of the B1G coaches, even though I still say Brohm and Frost are grossly overpaid which distorts that value. But to think $5MM / year is going to stop Fleck from leaving in and of itself is crazy. If he wants a job at a helmet school the U simply can't pay him enough to prevent them from hiring him away. The question is whether that's what he wants and whether he's who they want.

I honestly think Fleck believes he can compete for National Championships here. I know that sounds crazy to all of us who have come to believe that just being ok is the best we can ever hope for. We needed a coach with the energy and enthusiasm that Fleck brings to the table. Even without the winning to back it up he has put us on the map in a way that this program has not been in decades.

If we beat Penn State on Saturday things are going to explode around here and even if we come up a little short there is no denying things are trending in the right direction across the board for the program. The future looks very very bright, and the U stepping up and getting Fleck a new contract shows the school is committed to doing what needs to be done as well.

Saturday can't get here soon enough. Kills me that I can't go to the game due to some other commitments but will be following along hoping for something truly special to take place.

The question I'll ask again - is $5MM a year enough to really gain any security? Do you think FSU would be unwilling to pay more than that? Or USC? Or Notre Dame? Or Michigan? Or Tennessee?

I'm not saying don't give him a raise - he's earned one. And $5MM is probably about right based on the rest of the B1G coaches, even though I still say Brohm and Frost are grossly overpaid which distorts that value. But to think $5MM / year is going to stop Fleck from leaving in and of itself is crazy. If he wants a job at a helmet school the U simply can't pay him enough to prevent them from hiring him away. The question is whether that's what he wants and whether he's who they want.

To suggest Fleck would agree to a generous, lengthy mid-season contract extension just to vacate it for a higher bid, is too cynical for even me!

During the presser PJ explained how Heather and him and their family love Minnesota.
Almost made me want to move there, then I remembered I'm already here.

Just had to bump this so we can all appreciate the great, enduring sports wisdom of Shooter. Now that Fleck has signed an extension three days after shooter wrote this, I guess that must mean it was a bad idea to do the extension now. Mwhahahahaha

haha - You knew he was wrong, I knew he was wrong and so did a lot of other Gopher fans. Maybe we just know college football a bit more. We were all saying this BEFORE Florida St. even came into the picture and my guess is Coyle did, too. We have a good thing going here - let's not wreck it shall we? I would have been irate if we had done nothing and Fleck went somewhere else and all we were left with was "I told you so!"

Top Bottom