Notre Dame - Biggest fear of losing Fleck

Some Day...Maybe

Reaction score
Definitely my biggest fear. I’m not concerned about Fleck leaving for other schools nearly as much as I am for him leaving to Notre Dame. Just seems to me it’d be right up his alley. A Lou Holtz all over again? I sure as the hell hope not. But being a Chicago superb kid? All the tradition? The challenge? How does he say no? I guess we’ll see. I just don’t like seeing ND not doing well. Go Gophers!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely my biggest fear. I’m not concerned about Fleck leaving for other schools nearly as much as I am for him leaving to Notre Dame. Just seems to me it’d be right up his alley. A Lou Holtz all over again? I sure as the hell hope not. But being a Chicago superb kid? All the tradition? The challenge? How does he say no? I guess we’ll see. I just don’t like seeing ND not doing well. Go Gophers!!!

I think that P.J. wants to take down programs and make something of them. I personally don't see him jumping for a blue-blood. In terms of Notre Dame specifically, Lou Holtz left because he is a devout Catholic and dreamed of coaching for the premier Catholic college in America. Even though I believe Fleck was raised a Catholic, I just don't see Notre Dame having the same resonance for him as it did for Holtz.

My uninformed opinion of Fleck is that him & his wife like the glitz of a big city, so if he were to leave it would be for somewhere like Miami or USC.

My uninformed opinion of Fleck is that him & his wife like the glitz of a big city, so if he were to leave it would be for somewhere like Miami or USC.

I second that, especially the vibe I get is that Heather would prefer to be in a big city.

Doesn't he need to win a National Championship in Minnesota to validate his brand?

I usually want Notre Dame to lose, but with them already being out of CFP contention, I'm fine with them scratching to a victory over a bad V-Tech team.

Let Notre Dame go to another bowl game to get pummeled.

It’s the best Gopher season in a generation so why not have 28 threads about the coach leaving?

I don’t care to be the thread police but it seems every time I open Gopherhole there is a new thread on someone else’s take on the potential of losing our coach. I get it is a concern, I share it, but I do wish it was limited to one thread that I could avoid all the negative speculation instead of playing whack-a-mole.

It’s the best Gopher season in a generation so why not have 28 threads about the coach leaving?

I don’t care to be the thread police but it seems every time I open Gopherhole there is a new thread on someone else’s take on the potential of losing our coach. I get it is a concern, I share it, but I do wish it was limited to one thread that I could avoid all the negative speculation instead of playing whack-a-mole.

Thank you for saying this, and it happens with more topics than this. I hope the new forum design allows users to hide threads for this very reason.

Unless they are in year 1 (or 0) Minnesota coaches either deserve to be fired or are about to ditch us for greener pastures. It's one or the other. I don't make the rules.

Thank you for saying this, and it happens with more topics than this. I hope the new forum design allows users to hide threads for this very reason.

Right. Since there is no way for you to avoid clicking on and then reading threads about things you don’t want to see - hopefully the new forum will be able to magically hide these eye sores from you. Seriously, I would say you two sound like a couple of first graders, but that seems too generous.

Jimbo left FSU after winning a nc, Saban left LSU after winning one. I’m not going to pretend like I know Fleck well enough to worry about specific schools that might come calling. No school is immune to a successful coach moving on to something else sooner than fans had hoped.

I usually want Notre Dame to lose, but with them already being out of CFP contention, I'm fine with them scratching to a victory over a bad V-Tech team.

Let Notre Dame go to another bowl game to get pummeled.

Funny, this was my exact thought process today! Anybody know if P.J. is still a practicing Catholic? If yes, I going to proceed in rooting for Notre Dame to go 10-2 every year.

Jimbo left FSU after winning a nc, Saban left LSU after winning one. I’m not going to pretend like I know Fleck well enough to worry about specific schools that might come calling. No school is immune to a successful coach moving on to something else sooner than fans had hoped.

Of course they are not immune but those coaches won something, won several things and were not 10-13 in the conference when they got a legend job. I do not worry about him leaving because i was taught a long time ago to not waste time worrying about anything. Our parents believed in actions.

We have won 8 games or more quite a few seasons, even just in recent years.:rolleyes:

Of course they are not immune but those coaches won something, won several things and were not 10-13 in the conference when they got a legend job. I do not worry about him leaving because i was taught a long time ago to not waste time worrying about anything. Our parents believed in actions.

My point is those two were at the top at legend jobs and still left. So I’m saying there is no school immune to this so I’m not going to worry about it.

Notre Dame doesn’t even have an opening

I’m embarrassed for our fan base.

I think that P.J. wants to take down programs and make something of them. I personally don't see him jumping for a blue-blood. In terms of Notre Dame specifically, Lou Holtz left because he is a devout Catholic and dreamed of coaching for the premier Catholic college in America. Even though I believe Fleck was raised a Catholic, I just don't see Notre Dame having the same resonance for him as it did for Holtz.

Totally disagree. Fleck wants to be elite, he wants to win the National Championship every year. He'll go to whatever place gives him the best chance to do that. Minnesota has one item in their favor, we're the only school in the state competing for recruits, that and perhaps we give him more flexibility to implement his program his way than traditional helmet schools. We've gotta pay him a competitive salary (and more importantly pay the assistant coaches competitive salaries), but salary alone isn't going to keep him here or make him jump to another school. It's the ability for whatever school it is, to put him in a better position to win national championships.

Notre Dame will never let him put oars on their jerseys or helnets or plaster Row the boat everywhere. Obviously money talks but PJ would have no make alot of concessions to his culture that I don't think he's willing to compromise on.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Notre Dame will never let him put oars on their jerseys or helnets or plaster Row the boat everywhere. Obviously money talks but PJ would have no make alot of concessions to his culture that I don't think he's willing to compromise on.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Plus who wants to coach a gutless football program that won't play in a conference? Sorry, ND's time as an "independent" should come and go. They seem to want to be in a conference for anything else, but...no, not football..."we have a tradition to follow".

Their performance and persistent overrating in the last few years of "rebirth" indicates that they are going the way of the dodo. If you think Nebraska's fans are delusional, check out the Irish...

Did I miss something? Why is it that posters believe Fleck wants to go to Notre Dame?

Did I miss something? Why is it that posters believe Fleck wants to go to Notre Dame?

He's a midwest guy and has talked about how much he likes the midwest.

I don't think it would be a good fit but I that's why some are speculating that could be a landing spot for him if he leaves.

Top Bottom