CFP Poll Tuesday, November 5th

HoustonTXGopher

Reaction score
The first CFP poll will be released Tuesday evening and I am interested in where everyone thinks the Gophers and Penn State will be ranked.

In addition will the committee go ahead and put LSU and Alabama one and two for their anticipated matchup next week?

I believe the committee will have the Gophers just on the outside of the top 10. The committee likes to get cute and they know the poll can move a lot in the next five weeks so by giving the Gophers more lover than the AP has given us it makes for a better match up with Penn State, who I think will be ranked 4 or 5.

Ohio State should be ranked ahead of Alabama with LSU deserving of the number one spot, but again, the committee will probably arrange for the LSU/Alabama game to be touted as 1 vs. 2

Anyway, the Gophers will get their highest ever ranking by the committee going into the PSU game.

Let the fun begin!

I wonder if the committee will move the undefeated power five teams like Baylor and Minnesota over some of the one loss teams. Under the hypothetical situation that I've laid out a few times....if they stick closer to the AP poll and a lot of the teams win out (which isn't possible due to championship games and head-to-head matchups)....you'll still end with a log jam at the top of the poll. The committee can't leave out an undefeated power five team without a major backlash. So when do they jump that undefeated team over the one loss team? Or do they simply base the top end of the poll on who has been winning and then judge the one loss teams. If Minnesota and Baylor truly are overrated and they haven't been tested....they'll pick up losses in these next few weeks and those one loss teams from the SEC will jump right back over them. It seems like a way easier sell than having to justify moving an undefeated team over one of those one loss teams in the last week of the season because the committee simply didn't expect them to win out.

I think PSU is placed at #4 and Gophs stay put or maybe move up one or two spots if Oregon and/or Utah lose...both are upset alerts for me.

I wonder if the committee will move the undefeated power five teams like Baylor and Minnesota over some of the one loss teams. Under the hypothetical situation that I've laid out a few times....if they stick closer to the AP poll and a lot of the teams win out (which isn't possible due to championship games and head-to-head matchups)....you'll still end with a log jam at the top of the poll. The committee can't leave out an undefeated power five team without a major backlash. So when do they jump that undefeated team over the one loss team? Or do they simply base the top end of the poll on who has been winning and then judge the one loss teams. If Minnesota and Baylor truly are overrated and they haven't been tested....they'll pick up losses in these next few weeks and those one loss teams from the SEC will jump right back over them. It seems like a way easier sell than having to justify moving an undefeated team over one of those one loss teams in the last week of the season because the committee simply didn't expect them to win out.

The committee can certainly justify jumping the undefeated teams of the one loss teams as they continue to win and knock off resume building opponents.

Baylor and Minnesota have just as good of wins to this point as Clemson and Alabama (possibly with the exception of both teams wins over Texas aTm) but those helmet schools are going to get the benefit of the doubt based on their recent dominance in the CFP.

The committee can certainly justify jumping the undefeated teams of the one loss teams as they continue to win and knock off resume building opponents.

Baylor and Minnesota have just as good of wins to this point as Clemson and Alabama (possibly with the exception of both teams wins over Texas aTm) but those helmet schools are going to get the benefit of the doubt based on their recent dominance in the CFP.

I just don't know how they've handled this many undefeated teams in the past. And I'm not talking about the now defeated App State or the still undefeated SMU who both play in non-power five conferences. I'm specifically talking about Baylor and Minnesota, who had no preseason hype or polling power. Both have had to climb from the mudpits to national relevance in the eyes of the media whereas a lot of the teams with losses above them had national relevance prior to the year. Warranted? Sure. But that's why the AP Poll and the Coaches Poll become antiquated once the CFP Rankings come out. The CFP Rankings ditch the built in preseason bias and provide a level playing field for all the teams.

Some yahoo on CBS predicted it the other day. He had Baylor at 9. I kept scrolling and scrolling. There were the Gophers at 19! Behind Michigan, Wisconsin, and Iowa. If that dink is right, I am giving up hope forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’ll be interesting to see where Gophers fall on the polls following this week. I imagine we’re Memphis and Florida fans today. I wonder where Baylor ends up after playing bad against WVu.

You have to know that current SOS plays a large role in CFP committee rankings, and Gophs is nowhere near Alabama's or Clemson's at this point.

Last edited:

We are going to be unpleasantly surprised. SOS will hurt us. I predict 15.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

You have to know that current SOS plays a large roll in CFP committee rankings, and Gophs is nowhere near Alabama's or Clemson's at this point.

According to Sagarin, so far, Alabama has 61st ranked strength of schedule, Clemson has 54th, and Gophers have 75th. So not that far off. Like us, neither Alabama or Clemson has a win over a currently ranked team.

I knew Minnesota would be disrespected, but I never dreamed we would be as low as 17. We beat Illinois, Wisconsin loses to Illinois and they are still ranked ahead of us. We just have to take care of business on the field. Shock the world!

I knew Minnesota would be disrespected, but I never dreamed we would be as low as 17. We beat Illinois, Wisconsin loses to Illinois and they are still ranked ahead of us. We just have to take care of business on the field. Shock the world!

I’m ok with disrespect. There has to be a source of motivation to lock in, focus, get better (in any area) and disrespect is probably up in the top 2,3 reasons.

This goes back to what Fleck told the team earlier in this year. They aren't going to respect us for one nice little season with a few wins.
They aren't going to respect us until we show it year after year.

I doubt if Coach Franklin was happy seeing Minnesota ranked 17th either.

4 2-loss teams directly in front of the Gophers that will easily be jumped with a win on Saturday.

What was Ohio St in the first ever CFP poll that came out? Someone told me it was 16 but I can’t confirm. They ended up winning it all that year. This poll is just a measuring stick. Playing #4 Saturday will be very fun!

This goes back to what Fleck told the team earlier in this year. They aren't going to respect us for one nice little season with a few wins.

Yup, good points. I thought we would be 10-13, surprising Wisconsin and other two loss teams are ahead of us.

Agree with this 100%^^^ we don’t need anyone’s respect yet. I think not being respected makes these players work harder. They need to keep the mindset that no love is going to be handed to them. Fleck does a very good job keeping their heads in the right space, but when the players look on social media or turn on the tv, they’re going to see what is said about them somewhere to some extent. I think it might light a little fire under them to have been placed behind Wisconsin. I think dropping to #17 might make them a little angry. That’s good. And I think Franklin and Penn State want to beat as high of a ranked team as they can, us dropping back to #17 doesn’t help them in any way, shape, or form. They beat us, it looks less impressive. They lose to us and they drop even further than they previously would have, and their chances at CFP go down the tubes, not to mention it makes winning the East tougher because I’m sure they believe they have a shot at overcoming OSU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the lowest any undefeated P5 conference team has ever been in the CFP rankings in its 5+ year history.

This is the lowest any undefeated P5 conference team has ever been in the CFP rankings in its 5+ year history.

If we keep winning, it’s going to fun watching them squirm, while they continue to use the non-conference opponent excuse, while ignoring the schedules of some of the others.

If they’re weighting strength of schedule how do they factor in a 9 game conference schedule vs an 8 game schedule when teams inevitably will beat each other up and some will fall below the magical .500 line?

If you told an uninitiated person a group of administrators is going to sit in a room and try to justify their biases with selected statistics I don’t know if they would believe it. Get rid of the committee and make the regular season a de facto play in to a tourney of conference champions.

If they’re weighting strength of schedule how do they factor in a 9 game conference schedule vs an 8 game schedule when teams inevitably will beat each other up and some will fall below the magical .500 line?

If you told an uninitiated person a group of administrators is going to sit in a room and try to justify their biases with selected statistics I don’t know if they would believe it. Get rid of the committee and make the regular season a de facto play in to a tourney of conference champions.

I agree 100%. There is absolutely no need for a committee to determine the CFP. If you win your conference you are in the tournament or at very least you need to at least play for your conference title to get into the tournament.

Michigan has played 6 good quarters of football all year and gets ranked ahead of Minnesota? These rankings have no credibility.
But it doesn't matter.

Comparisons steal your joys (per PJ). Comparing against other teams that may have beat somebody or other teams schedule isn't this or that, blah blah blah. this team is doing exactly what it needs to do. PJ is doing exactly what he needs to do and that is keep it inside their team. Rankings don't block people, rankings don't catch passes, rankings don't throw the ball. Although it would be nice to have better recognition, at this point the U has 50 years of perception to change. It is happening, but it is a slow process.
If they keep winning the rankings will follow. Not to worry with 4 weeks left. The end result will be the end result and the ranking will show it accordingly. Personally, I'm just enjoying the ride and having conversations about national rankings. Not very often have I been in these conversations.

The 9-game conference schedule is the factor that makes me go "huh?" when the CFP member claims that no noncon Power 5 teams were played. Every BG10 team plays an extra Power 5 game when compared to other conferences.

That said, this all doesn't matter one iota after three more days. The Gophers strength of schedule will be dramatically higher starting this weekend.

Does anyone believe that if the NCAA announced we are canceling the rest of the regular season, and instituting a 16 team playoff, that last night the CFP would have put Michigan and Wisconsin in that playoff and left 8-0 Minnesota home? If they wouldnt have done that, then the ranking is stupid.

Does anyone believe that if the NCAA announced we are canceling the rest of the regular season, and instituting a 16 team playoff, that last night the CFP would have put Michigan and Wisconsin in that playoff and left 8-0 Minnesota home? If they wouldnt have done that, then the ranking is stupid.

100% agree, and that's how these should be ranked by the committee because poll inertia is a thing.

The rankings should be done as if these were the final rankings, and if the season got called suddenly only X number of teams go to the playoffs. Rank it from most to least deserving from there. That way, as the season plays out you aren't giving extra credit to less deserving teams by ranking them higher initially.

Top Bottom