Kirk Herbstreit on Gameday today: "We'll be in Tuscaloosa next week"

Just saw that too...bummer. "A more traditional setting....."

If it did come to Minnesota, where would they put it? Northrop Mall lawn I would imagine??

Kirk Herbstreit on Gameday today: "We'll be in Tuscaloosa next week"

They said the same thing last week. Not sure who said it. Nobody wanted to believe it though.

PJ made a strong case, but hard to not go to #1 vs #2...

The rumor was/is that ESPN and Minnesota approaches Penn State to have the game in the prime time spot and that would have GameDay, but Big Ten rules require both teams to agree to a night game and PSU rejected the proposal.

Rumor

The rumor was/is that ESPN and Minnesota approaches Penn State to have the game in the prime time spot and that would have GameDay, but Big Ten rules require both teams to agree to a night game and PSU rejected the proposal.

Rumor

I don’t buy that for a second. They just don’t want to come here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wondered if an 11:00 am game would automatically exclude it based on logistics? Why would this not be a 2:30 pm game? Why would it have to be night?

I would tend to agree with you, but someone posted where Fleck said something like “Minnesota wasn’t the one who rejected the night game”.

I wondered if an 11:00 am game would automatically exclude it based on logistics? Why would this not be a 2:30 pm game? Why would it have to be night?

230pm is 1 v 2 historic matchup LSU Alabama on CBS. No one in their right mind wanted to go up against that.

Also historic to have two 8-0 games (all four teams on BYE this week), so it will be a double-header for CFB fans.

I would tend to agree with you, but someone posted where Fleck said something like “Minnesota wasn’t the one who rejected the night game”.

I’m saying they wouldn’t have come here, even if it was a later game, when Alabama-LSU is an option.

I’m saying they wouldn’t have come here, even if it was a later game, when Alabama-LSU is an option.

Agree that the odds were pretty slim when you have #1 vs. #2 on the same day. Although the trips to the SEC and either of those locations is nothing new for gameday #1 vs. #2 doesn't happen all that often. They have shown a willingness to go to different locations so I would bet they gave some very serious consideration to coming here.

Would have been cool to have Gameday but that is just a side show to the main event anyway.

I rarely watch Game Day so I admit that its importance compared to the actual game escapes me. But the students seem to enjoy it.
Now if Game Day was at USC with the always lovely Song Girls I would watch it.

I think it's more "they can't come here". They want to come to Minnesota. They would be here for sure if the PSU game was this weekend. They would have been here for the PSU game up against nearly any other possible game all season. I think there's a reasonable chance they come for the Axe game - whether it's for the West crown or because 10-1 or 11-0 Minnesota already clinched it.

Agreed. One would struggle to describe the magnitude of difference in National (outside of MN and E-PA) interest in LSU/AL over MN/PSU. Keep winning and we may very well get the Axe Game.

Agreed. One would struggle to describe the magnitude of difference in National (outside of MN and E-PA) interest in LSU/AL over MN/PSU. Keep winning and we may very well get the Axe Game.

Agreed. If the WI-MN game ends up being for the BT west and both teams are still in the top 20, I think there's a good chance it'll be in MN.

It is unfortunate that the undefeated #1 LSU & #2 Bama are playing on the same day as the undefeated #5 PSU and # 13 Gophers.

Otherwise, Game Day would have been a lock for the MN vs PSU game on any other weekend.

Maybe they'll come for the Badger game.

It is unfortunate that the undefeated #1 LSU & #2 Bama are playing on the same day as the undefeated #5 PSU and # 13 Gophers.

Otherwise, Game Day would have been a lock for the MN vs PSU game on any other weekend.

Very unfortunate. I was surprised to learn that this is the first time in the AP Poll history two games have gone off in the same day with undefeated teams at 8-0 or better. And we're up against 1v2 on top of that. It's also only the 2nd time two Big Ten teams have met at 8-0 or better in the last 40 years. Minnesota / Penn State is some rare stuff, up against some other rare stuff.

The fates practically owe the Gophers Gameday for the Axe game as long as things don't implode the next 3 games.

I think it's more "they can't come here". They want to come to Minnesota. They would be here for sure if the PSU game was this weekend. They would have been here for the PSU game up against nearly any other possible game all season. I think there's a reasonable chance they come for the Axe game - whether it's for the West crown or because 10-1 or 11-0 Minnesota already clinched it.

If we're 11-0 we would already have clinched it over Wisconsin at 9-2. The loss to Illinois did them in, knowing full well they were never going to beat Ohio St.

Nonetheless, it may still be the most interesting game being played on a Saturday that weekend. On paper, the two other contenders would be Alabama Auburn and Michigan Ohio State. But the latter is a 11am and on FOX. I assume Iron Bowl will be on CBS, but that obviously didn't stop them from going to Alabama LSU this week.

I surely understand going to #1 vs #2, although the seeds have been sown!!!! Finebaum, The Bear, and many others want to come to The Original U. Keep playing well, and later this year it will happen. Minnesota is getting so much national attention now (compared to normal). I think just out of curiosity people will tune in for the Gameday- Dinksconsin game.

Agreed. If the WI-MN game ends up being for the BT west and both teams are still in the top 20, I think there's a good chance it'll be in MN.

That's a more likely scenario, in my opinion.

Both going in 9-2, with the West title on the line. GameDay here. What a beautiful way to end the season, in front of our fans!

Well, that sucks. Alabama and LSU play every year and while the playoff selection stakes are high IMO neither team is clearly better than Ohio State so the poll ranking is mostly hype. It would have real stakes if this game were a de facto elimination game for the CFP but the pundits love to talk about putting two SEC teams in so there is a real scenario where that could still happen. Sort of a meh game for me personally. Game Day had a chance to do something unique with an upstart team and coach. Too bad.

The thing is the CFP comes out this week, and that game may not even be a 1 vs. 2. Doesn’t mean they can’t go there, but if it’s 2 against 3 or 1 against 3, it’s not the same thing. Especially when they’ve been there 7 out of 8 years. But whatever. Maybe it will fire up the team even more.

Just saw that too...bummer. "A more traditional setting....."

If it did come to Minnesota, where would they put it? Northrop Mall lawn I would imagine??

I think these are possible location if/when Gameday does come to MN:
In front of Northrop Auditorium - Best location. Lots of room, most beautiful/traditional part of campus, but farther from stadium
In front of the Alumni Center - Not as much room, but close to stadium. Alumni Center seems to be a place where the U likes to have people congregate.
In front of Mariucci with Oak Street blocked off - Close to stadium, not much room though.

The thing is the CFP comes out this week, and that game may not even be a 1 vs. 2. Doesn’t mean they can’t go there, but if it’s 2 against 3 or 1 against 3, it’s not the same thing. Especially when they’ve been there 7 out of 8 years. But whatever. Maybe it will fire up the team even more.

4 of the top 5 teams in the AP/Coaches are on BYE this week.

Clemson is the only one playing a game, and it's a stinker against a FCS (DI-AA) team at home. They won't jump into the top 2.

6-10 are all 1-loss teams. Georgia Florida, who play each other, Oregon and Utah both travel for tough road games against unranked teams (USC and Washington), and then Oklahoma has a BYE. None of those are going to jump into the top 2.

I think these are possible location if/when Gameday does come to MN:
In front of Northrop Auditorium - Best location. Lots of room, most beautiful/traditional part of campus, but farther from stadium
In front of the Alumni Center - Not as much room, but close to stadium. Alumni Center seems to be a place where the U likes to have people congregate.
In front of Mariucci with Oak Street blocked off - Close to stadium, not much room though.

They should block off 4th in front of the stadium, have the stadium in the background, and let the whole main plaza be full of people and be the background for the filming.

Meh. Doesn't dampen my excitement for next Saturday.

http://www.startribune.com/ticket-s...um-trending-in-the-right-direction/564231062/

"
A Big Ten conference spokesman said in a statement that the conference's television partners determine the broadcast networks and start times within their contractual agreements with the Big Ten.

"We typically do not play primetime games past the first week of November due to the colder weather," the statement read. "While a process is in place for the possibility of a game to be set in primetime during this portion of the season, it requires that all parties – television, the conference, and both institutions – agree to do so."

So with Fleck saying the Gophers did not actually rule out the option, that would mean either ABC, the Big Ten or Penn State did.

"

Top Bottom